Wow...

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Wow...

By Dorothy Isles on Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 02:33 pm: Edit Post

Me too

By Auna on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 10:46 pm: Edit Post

I'd have an entire shelf if she had more books (hint, hint!) ;)

By Róisín on Friday, July 01, 2005 - 05:38 am: Edit Post

how shelfish...? *groan* ... :P

By Blue on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 12:29 am: Edit Post

Very punny, Roisin! :-O

A pun that would make one of Janny's fellow Floridian author colleagues proud - Piers Anthony.

By Róisín on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 04:05 am: Edit Post

I thought it a rather puny pun, myself, but felt some punters might enjoy it....

:-)

By Kris on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:16 pm: Edit Post

I admittedly have not read through all of the posts in this section because there are so many, but from what I have read, there seems to be a lot of animosity toward Davien. I guess I'm just strange but I don't see him as the bad guy at all. And I keep remembering that toward the end of PG, Davien said something about his breaking the crown ruling being his form of the Havens. Now I'm having trouble putting what I'm thinking/having a sense of into words, but it seems to me that a cheaper, slightly presumptive, and not quiet accurate way of putting my view would be that the bad view of Davien would be like Lysaer's/towns people view of Arithon. We obviously don't understand him, and what we see as bad could really be his trying to do what's right in the end and using cutting remarks even though it hurts others. This makes Davien seem a bit too angelic, but nonetheless, for me, it sounds a bit closer to the truth than the other view.
~Kris
P.S.: No offense intended

By Trys on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:15 am: Edit Post

Kris,

Until the last two books we hadn't seen much of Davien. I suspect that public opinion of him is based on his being called the Betrayer and our tending to see through the eyes of the characters we associate with or feel the greatest empathy for. I would say this is a testament to how Janny writes the story.

I'd also say that given that Janny has a propensity for setting me on my ear as the events of this story unfold that we are likely to rethink our opinion of Davien many times over.

Trys

By Auna on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:38 pm: Edit Post

For me, it has nothing to do with him being called betrayer. Janny so far hasn't revealed his inner feelings when he is interacting with anyone like she has done with other chars. Hence, Davien comes off as uncaring and inconsiderate in many scenes to me. I only have Sethvir's word that he perhaps cares too much, but about what I can't say and we aren't shown that (yet).

Also, I'm going to be rather slow to forgive Davien for upsetting Sethvir when he's barely hanging on keeping grimwards together. That was such a heartwrenching scene and I so wanted to smack Davien!

I'm sure eventually we'll get the big reveal, and I can't wait for that because I suspect this one will be a huge aha moment. I was hoping that would happen in this book. So perhaps that disappointment added to my lukewarm feelings towards Davien.

By Nora on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:11 pm: Edit Post

Davien's hard to read because we don't know his motivations, and he's not the most demonstrative person in the world either. For example, a fairly perceptive character such as Elaira isn't quite sure what to make of him; she gets the impression of his genuine pleasure in her company, but also that he's sharp and not exactly safe to open yourself up to.

For my part, he comes across as a genuine ass at the moment. Something of a cynic, and generally convinced that he's more on top of things than he actually is. He's like the guy who sits around having grand ideas (which are often very good), but does it when the rest of the team is working hard to keep everything from falling apart so that the big plan will be able to work out at all.

It would be a lot of fun to see him run into Kharadmon, as they're similar in a number of ways but very, very different in others.

By Paul Hammond on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

"It would be a lot of fun to see him run into Kharadmon, as they're similar in a number of ways but very, very different in others."

Absolutely that would be fun!

IIRC, it was Kharadmon who started calling him "Betrayer" in the first place, and I think there's a lot of bitter history between those two (Kharadmon teasing Luhaine, by contrast, is just for fun - he loves him really...)

Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: