Davien and Humanity

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Davien and Humanity

By Róisín on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:52 am: Edit Post

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler
On Davien - I reread the conversation between Davien and Sethvir in TK when Davien answers the Warden's summons for help. Davien mentions this thought: why not just let go of it all - let the Paravians fade, let the F7 be free from the responsibility the Drakes put on them, let nature take its course, and in time, another cycle will produce something similar to the Paravians. He is the only person I've read so far, who has been in the presence of a Paravian (I'm assuming!) and who can voice that kind of thought.

Sethvir replies that Ciladis couldn't entertain such a thought. He's lost, Sethvir and Asandir (and I assume the other 3) carry on maintaining the compact, hoping for Ciladis' return. He wanted to transmute, rather than kill, the drakespawn, wanting to get out of the Drakes binding, but also, wanting to keep the Paravians. Are the other 5 following Ciladis? I'm now even more curious about Ciladis and his influence over the F7.

Davien values free will and freedom, and resents the binding. The other 6 give up their free will and freedom to ensure Paravian survival.

One thought also occurred to me: the clans maintain their traditions by rote - they no longer remember the Paravians. I wonder if there will ever be clan who will eventually start asking: what are we doing all this for? (As Davien has asked.)

Also interesting to note: that when the sister of Ath nearly gave her energy to Asandir, it called him back from his task of misleading the Marak wraithes - her near sacrifice invoked the compact - as if a Paravian itself were being sacrificed? I keep wondering if the maintained future of Athera is not in Paravian return, but in the rites of Ath's brotherhood. They can channel the prime chord of Ath's creation - like the Paravians.

By neil on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

All 7 are "bound" by the drakes...there is just some flexibility of choice of action if paravian survival is not threatened.

I feel all of the F7 are unhappy about the binding (Asandir's "we who are bound" comments in GC)

The clans understand why because of their ability to perceive (over and above townborn normal capabilities) but they are paranoid about mixing with townborn simply because there is no way of testing whether the next generation can withstand paravian presence.

Davien feels the system is unstable but the clans are not really in a position to think outside the box since they seem to have been preoccupied with survival since the uprising.

I do wonder now who else has drunk from the 5 century fountain...was Davien trying to prove a point about long term thinking?

For me...

Compact: between humanity/F7 and paravians
binding: is between f7 and drakes (so this was enforced when the adept tried to help).

The compact guides maintenance of Athera and human/paravians relations; the binding enforces paravian survival...(which seems to dictate Athera surviving...the F7 have the power to enforce this and are obliged to do so if humanity step out of line...)

By Trys on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:26 pm: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

quote:

I do wonder now who else has drunk from the 5 century fountain...was Davien trying to prove a point about long term thinking?

It's pretty unlikely that anyone did as they would have had to avoid Curse of Mearth which, if memory served was bound to the fountain area prior to Davien's discorporation.

Trys

By neil on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 03:04 am: Edit Post

Weren't the black shadow things release when davien went discorporate?

I just didn't want to face the fact that the 5 centuries fountain might have been a plot device to bring our two brothers to Athera for conflict during 500 years ;-)

By Hunter on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:05 am: Edit Post

From what we know, it's the only thing that changed (apart from Davien) when he was rendered discorporate. Athera is littered with Davien's artifacts that he made whilst corporate. I wonder why only the Five Centuries fountain was affected? A simple explanation would that it is not Athera and whether that had an impact?

If the Atheran creations of Davien fell apart, then Kewar and, more importantly, Rockfell, would have changed dramatically..

By neil on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:36 am: Edit Post

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Janny has hinted (I think?) that the curse of meath and why Davien was rendered discorporate would come out in the story...Davien has expressed distaste for the "state"...

I feel the paravians ought to be back soon...shame to create such creatures then have them play a minor part in the story...I now wonder whether it really was the mistwraith that triggered their disappearance...but then they refused to name it...curious...the mistwraith's brut strength was beyond the Paravians or simply not their responsibilty from their perspective?

I'm guessing Davian was the mistaken one for wanting to push humanity onwards...but that he is probably right about the clans system...I'm curious as to why the F6 are opposed to him...in fact asandir/luhaine/Kharadmon seem most displeased. Sethvir seems more neutrol and I don't think we've seen Traithe's views

By Andy on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:47 am: Edit Post

I've wondered about the Paravians reasons for leaving and whether the commonly accepted reason, the invasion of the Mistwraith or perhaps the disappearance of sunlight were the cause. One of the things that struck me as odd was that I don't think the Paravians left immediately when the Mistwraith invaded. There was a period of like 25 or 100 years where the clans fought the advance of the Mistwraith down at Earle and who knows where else. But the Paravians left something like 100 years after the Mistwraith first came through Southgate. Although their decision to leave or hide themselves was undoubtedly connected to the presence of the Mistwraith, I don't think it was that the lack of sunlight or the presence of the wraiths was harmful to them. Just rambling at this point.

By max on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 04:37 am: Edit Post

"Our name is Legion, for we are many". That is a quote from somewhere. The mistwraith reminds me of that quote all the time. I don't like Davien. He studies Arithon like a bug under a microscope. But I know that Janny has some mercurial twists to her characters so I won't out and out hate him till the end. When he sneaked up on Arithon from behind, I wanted to lend the prince my driftwood walking stick so he could knock him in the head a good one. that's what I carry it for! [grinning at ya]

By Trys on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 06:37 am: Edit Post

That line was in William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist but I don't know if he borrowed it from somewhere or not.

By PurplePenny on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 02:14 pm: Edit Post

It is from the Bible, New Testament (Mark ch 5?).

A man who is possessed by a demon throws himself at Jesus and the demon asks what he (Jesus) is going to do with him. Jesus tells the demon voice to shut up and asks who he is. The demon replies "I am legion" meaning that there are many of them possessing the man's body. Jesus throws the demons out of the man into a herd of pigs.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: