Archive through January 09, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Notes and thoughts while reading the book: Archive through January 09, 2005
   By John Parsons on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 02:35 pm: Edit Post

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I can't find any mention of it on the board, has anybody else read the reference to Enithen Tuer in the Glossary?
Now that raises some interesting questions about Elaira!!!

John

By Trys on Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 10:42 pm: Edit Post

John,

Makes you realize that the glossary isn't there for window dressing. ;) If you go back and read that entry for CotM you will see that it is different. It is been pointed out, obliquely within the story to be sure, that Elaira can gain release from her vows by Fellowship intervention. The woman who was burned and aided Arithon in Jaelot was an indication of this as well.

Trys

By Hunter on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 05:45 am: Edit Post

The main issue has been the Fellowship trying to get Elaira to *ask* them for intervention as she's been labouring under the assumption that she *can't* ask them.

By Dorothy on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 05:57 am: Edit Post

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
I noticed that too, John and went back to read the scene where Elaira meets Enithen Tuer in COTM. And sure enough- it's plain with hindsight, that Enithen Tuer was originally bound to Koriani service. Elaira is referred to as "the younger enchantress". Very subtle, Janny!

By Trys on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 08:22 am: Edit Post

I don't think Elaira is laboring under the assumption that she can't ask. I think it's that it's never occurred to her than the option exists. If it had the hints she's gotten would have turned on the light bulb and she'd be free of her vows.

Dorothy,

It's those little things that make re-reading these books such a pleasure. It's not just for refreshing the memory but to actually learn something new, that was there the whole time.

Trys

By Sandtiger on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

To me, it's a matter of personal thought and circumstance - the thought of being free of her vows is such an impossibility to Elaira, that hints in that vein go right over her head.

Sandtiger

By Trys on Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 10:37 am: Edit Post

Sandtiger,

Exactly.

Trys

By Hunter on Monday, January 03, 2005 - 07:19 am: Edit Post

Trys - I think we're in agreement - Elaira doesn't believe she can ask, so she doesn't. All hints to the contrary aside.

One wonders given Arithon's acquaintance with the scarred lady in Jaelot and also Enithen Tuer at the start of CotM why **he** doesn't suggest it to her! OTOH, if she was freed by the Fellowship, then Selidie would hunt her down - either Arithon or the Fellowship would have to look after her. She's arguably safer at this point in time - while Selidie continues to use her as a tool to get Arithon - than outside of the Koriani.

By Dancing Tofu on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 06:09 am: Edit Post

WHEW!!

Just finished. Wow. Time to hand it off to the boyfriend who has been graciously waiting for me to finish.

Wow.....

...More!!!

By Dancing Tofu on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 10:04 am: Edit Post

I've been up all night at work, so I am singularly unfit for my own challenge, but no one's done a reader's write-up of this superb book over at amazon.com/uk. (I tried, but then worried that my gibbering would only frighten people away.)

Cheers!

--Amanda