Archive through January 27, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Not entirely convinced: Archive through January 27, 2005
   By Greebo on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 07:34 pm: Edit Post

I very much enjoyed the book and was left making untypeable noises of frustration at the predictably cliffhanger ending. I say predictably because we all knew there'd be one, so I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler. ;)

The character developments were great and I'm going to have to reread for everything to sink in. As for the Jordanesque comments, well I gave up on that series many books ago out of deathly boredom. As some of the above posts have noted, its a matter of trust that the author knows what they're doing. I'm still trusting Janny, and I don't feel this book has shown me any reasons not to - quite the contrary in fact.

Keep up the good work Janny. Pleasewritefasterpleasewritefaster...

Cheers
Greebo

By Hannah on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 08:21 pm: Edit Post

It's funny because I didn't have anything close to a reaction of frustration at the end. I didn't feel like it was a cliffhanger at all. It always surprises me when people say the felt it cut left them hanging. I was completely satisfied with the point at which the book ended.

By Blue on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 10:12 pm: Edit Post

My only problem was, and I'm sure Janny is shaking her head at this:

"ONLY 500 pages?"

:-O

By Tankred Bras-de-Fer on Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 09:49 am: Edit Post

/DE-lurk/

I could not wait for the MM version, which I will probally get just for the artwork, so I got the UK version from Galaxybooks.

I also feel like it was a "lower gear" than what Janny usually writes; it seemed a little more reserved to me. The book was just as engageing (sp?) as all of the others in the series mind you, but it seemed a little reserved.

My only beef was there was not as much "magic" in this book than in the others. Take for example the artistic way that Janny describes what Asandir did to stabilize the planet after Moriell possessed Sedileie (sp again). Also the homing spell to call Karadamon home from his excursion to the Mistbound planet; Marak. That to me is what endeared me to Janny's prose. It actually made me almost see and feel what Asandir was doing!

There is still some magic going on as this is a magicical world after all! Take for instance Asandir confounding the free wraiths with a "black hole" tied to the original homing spell and what Arithon did during his uneventful tryst with Eliara and what Arithon did and learned to do with the iyats.

I just wish there was more and I wait with breath baited for SF to see what else Janny can pull out for her hat!

/LURK/

By Róisín on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:36 am: Edit Post

ssssppppoilerzzzz

Emphatically do NOT agree with the label 'jordanesque'. I stopped reading his books after the fourth - they were so predictable.

Previously it has been said that the series is multi-layered, which I find after one reading, (which I rushed through like a starved animal) I find myself unable to comment with any depth until I've read it at LEAST twice more. These are just first impressions.

The plots are cyclical - lessons were learned - I'm enjoying seeing if the characters can apply those lessons. Arithon was directly challenged with that in Kewar - and I thoroughly enjoyed reading his changed approaches - I laughed joyously most of the way through, in fact, celebrating his successes. :-) And yet he STILL hasn't reached his peak!!!
(This was the opposite of my experience when I read Peril's Gate - I suffered through that book!)

I liked Elaira's speech to Dakar on interference and letting them tackle the challenges for themselves. The scene where Dakar had to 'attend' to Arithon was both really sad (at the interuption) and hilarious... quite a feat in writing. :-)

Bravo! Round two.... ;)

By Jenna on Tuesday, January 25, 2005 - 08:33 pm: Edit Post

I'm not sure whether I'm registered since it's been so long since I've posted here... I (belatedly) got the UK version to read while I wait for the MM version. Finished it up last night. I think it's my favorite since SoM. I agree with Annette's 12-16-04 post about things that moved the overall plot along.

Just
to
be
safe
S
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

One thing I noticed was the similarity between the souls in the mistwraith and the souls bound to the necromancers. Could that be kinda-sorta how the mistwraith was formed?

At this point in the series, I expect Arithon to pull victory out of what looks like a sure defeat. So, I was expecting him to be able to readily dispatch the Kralovir. That he didn't have such an easy time was a surprise.

I really liked Sulfin Evend's story, and his presence kept me from (my usual) total hatred of all (sadly requisite) scenes Lysaer. I'm very, very happy that the seeds were sown to discredit Lysaer's religion. That's a major step forward in my book.

By Epilogue on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 07:26 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny and everyone here!

Could someone kindly explain what the powers behind the crown of Rathain are?

Thanks,

Francis

By Ellydee on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 04:32 pm: Edit Post

I kinda got the feeling - I think this was mentioned in CotM - that the wraiths resulted from an attempt to fuse human minds with machines. I know some friends who are already discussing this concept today. Some scientists and philosophers are theorizing that implanting computer chips in human brains will make information more accessible, and make thinking and processing more "efficient." Everyone would be linked in a global internet under this plan as well, like the Mistwraith is linked.
If you've ever read Brian Cooney's Posthumanity, the fourth chapter is all about the future technology that will allow us to live in a completely virtual world inside a machine. Despite the initial horror of such a possibility, it does seem beneficial - after all, we would never contract illnesses, or have to deal with the physical limitations of our bodies, including eating, sleeping, etc.
And I'm rambling.
So I suppose the Mistwraith's machines were flawed? Received a virus, perhaps? I must dwell more on this Frankensteinian business.

By Angora on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 05:17 pm: Edit Post

Ooh- very Matrix-esque. I'm wondering if there is a way for something as complex as a machine to be 'tuned' to be in perfect resonance with the human mind. If so, would failure to align machine with mind result in some sort of clash that results in something as twisted as the wraiths seem to be?
Wow, I sure didn't explain that very well. Will have to go off and ponder this line of thought for a little bit...

By Jenna on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

Maybe quasi-spoiler, but only just.

Yeah, the Mistwraith was a fusing of machine and spirit. But what if the spirit side was related to necromancy? Or maybe just unraveling necromancy is practice for unraveling the Mistwraith, given a similarity in their binding of souls. I just don't buy the necromancy as a side trip without future plot importance.