Archive through May 08, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Similar entities??: Archive through May 08, 2005
   By Hunter on Monday, January 17, 2005 - 07:00 am: Edit Post

Oops.. sorry.. forgot the spoiler!

By Dan Johnston on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 07:43 pm: Edit Post

You know, the swirling leaden auras of those who use Necromancy reminded me forcefully of the Mistwraith.
Carrying on from that thought, what if a Necromancer manages to enslave every single living being on a planet? Then, what if he loses control of the enslaved souls and they are somehow made free?
Free wraiths anyone?

By Trys on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:25 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Although I believe there's been a reference to a machine in relation to Marak.

Trys

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:52 pm: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I believe you are correct Trys... certainly there has been reference to technology.

In SHIPS or WARHOST I believe the F7 discuss it in Althain Tower when Kharadmon returns from space being chased by free wraiths.

By Dan Johnston on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 04:27 pm: Edit Post

I am rather curious about Marak...I hope we get to find out what created the Mistwraith before the end of the last book - and what Triathe is 'missing' that is bound up in the sheared off portions of himself in the contained Mistwraith in Rockfell...
*Crosses fingers and toes*

By skeoke (Unregistered Guest) on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:31 pm: Edit Post

spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler (is that enough?)

I am finally ready to re-read. Took a step back to cleanse the palate, clear the mind, and come at the new Arithon from somewhere beside a straight re-read of the whole series. (In this case a jump from the Bourne series by Ludlum {I, too, am a victim of amnesia}, to The Count of Monte Cristo {I hope someday to stubble across a vast fortune - hopefully without the 14 years of solitary confinement as a prelude}.)

Okay, I forgot my point.

Oh yeah. It seems to me that the necromancers and the mistwraith somehow share a tie. Our boys are the mistwraith's bane, but when they could have been killed, easily, in Eterra way back when, they weren't. They were "merely" cursed to enmity. Of course, had they been killed the series would have been *much* shorter. The Curse can't just be Janny's way of *prolonging* the series, there will be a seamless reason for it. Having the necromancers suborn the boys sounds like a good theory. I'll check the theory again in five or so more books. *wink*

By Blue on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 12:01 am: Edit Post

Spoiler alert
Spoilers ahoy!

I'd like to see ANY necromancer try with Arithon again, especially considering how he cleaned their clocks by claiming Grace as he did.

Of course, the Koriani are SUPPOSED to be wise, too, and they keep messing with him.

I think Arithon needs to get his idiot magnet depolarized. Really stupid people just won't leave him be!

The mind boggles, would an Ilitharis Guardian have stepped in to save him, had his tactic of claiming Grace not worked? The mind boggles further, how much faster would the necromancers have been immolated, had they faced off against an upset Paravian?

By Hunter on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 07:39 pm: Edit Post

SPOILERS... ye have been warned..

Since when were the Koriani **supposed** to be wise? As Elaira wistfully explains on a several occassions, the Koriani order was founded on compassion and healing. Wisdom wasn't one of the founding tenets, as far as has been explained. Morriel/Selidie wants to capture/kill/restrain Arithon simply because she'd had a vision that Arithon would come to cause a break in Koriani succession and the loss of much of the Koriani heritage and information. It's survival not a lack of wisdom that drives Selidie.

I perceive very different interpretations on this board of the Grace that Arithon claimed to eradicate the Kralovir. Would an Ilitharis Paravian have stepped in to save him? Firstly, without Arithon requesting such an intervention, a Paravian would be unlikely to act outside of the Law of the Major Balance - the Fellowship themselves were also waiting for Arithon's appeal so *they* could act.

My reading of what Arithon invoked was his pure autonomy, first fully established with the Ilitharis Paravian in Kewar, through the prime vibration and the grand chord of Ath's creation. As the Paravians are a part, but certainly not the entirety, of that creation - I would think the powers Arithon invoked were far greater than perhaps what a single Paravian might have been able to do.

By thom (Unregistered Guest) on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 08:22 pm: Edit Post

hey,
I have been reading the spoilers again even though i shouldn't have. You have talked about arithon claiming grace. He already has compassion and farsight. That three of the founding traits for the kings. Is is possible janny is setting him up to be a new kind of high king....over all the kingdoms????????????????? What do you think?

By Hunter on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 09:42 pm: Edit Post

SPOILERS..

I'm not sure Grace is a founding trait. If you haven't read Traitor's Knot, then this thread probably isn't making a lot of sense..