Archive through June 07, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Status report: Archive through June 07, 2005
   By Wayne McCalla on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 07:02 pm: Edit Post

Called local B&N here in town they still show the original order of their copies. Mentioned to the sale associate that there was a delay from Nov to Feb to now and that their copies should be there soon.
She was glad to know that info.

As to the interview: Janny mentioned alot on her panel that she was on at StellarCon but she goes in much greater depth with Jana Oliver during the interview.

And working at a chain bookstore during that time I know what she was talking about and agreeing with her 100%.

Wayne...waiting for my copy to arrive on Monday(I hope). And who has seen to original painting at two cons. I know you'll enjoy the artwork. Seeing on comp doesn't do it justice. :-)

By skeoke on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 07:25 pm: Edit Post

Thank you, Janny.

By lynnw on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:50 pm: Edit Post

I ordered back in March from Amazon and have been checking almost daily at Borders, Barnes and Noble and Books a Million. None of them have receieved Traitors Knot. I was hoping I would get by June 10th since I am spending the weekend waiting for my son to get his open water scuba certification. I just have to wait around for 2 days. Now you know why I have been hoping that the book would come in so I can have it for the weekend

By AlexM on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

So, just a quick question? Is the fastest way to get the book to simply wait until BN/Amazon have it or would it be faster to order it from Meisha Merlin?

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:08 am: Edit Post

Personally, I'll be surprised if my book shows up at all. Janny says that Meisha Merlin has processed and sent out all of the pre-orders, but I only have her word on it, as I haven't receieved any kind of notice from them saying they've shipped the books, nor is there anything I can find on their website. It definately hasn't come yet, and I am not holding my breath.

*gloom*sigh* I feel like Eyeore.

By Trys on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 04:10 am: Edit Post

Lyssabits,

Would you prefer that God himself come visit you and hand you the copy?!

Oh ye people of little faith and no patience. :-(

Trys <-- whose tired of the whining and complaining.

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:01 pm: Edit Post

As I've said before, it's not the delay that bugs me, it's the lack of information.

It's great that Janny has told us the books have shipped, but getting information second or third hand isn't overly reliable.

I don't want God to hand me my copy. I guess I've just been spoiled by the fact that most online retailers will send e-mail to confirm your order, and then another e-mail when the order ships, with form letters in between times when the order has failed to ship by the projected time. "Your order hasn't shipped yet, blah blah blah, unforseen delays, we're working on getting your order to you" just so you know your order wasn't lost into the ether. It's hard, not having any information, for something you've paid for already. I'm terribly worried that because I ordered so long ago, I'll never see the book, it's not out of the realm of possibility that orders get lost in the hustle and the shuffle. And while paying for the book twice isn't a financial hardship for most people, it's definately not fun.

I'm not a fan of the people complaining because there was a delay. These things happen, I don't blame Meisha Merlin for all the formatting/printing/etc problems they've experienced. But I'm definately tired of being told that I shouldn't be annoyed that the only way I'm able to get status updates on my order is by bothering the AUTHOR of the book, who shouldn't have to deal with the minutia of the retail side of the process, because the publisher who's handling the online order isn't supplying the information to their clients directly. I'm sorry, but I don't think my complaints are unreasonable. And since Meisha Merlin doesn't respond to e-mails, you're all forced to listen to my venting here. =P But I suppose I shouldn't say a thing. I'll just sit quietly in the corner, lest I provoke the Gryphon into another rage.

By Chad Jenkins on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:16 pm: Edit Post

I agree completely with Lyssabits' point of view. Janny has been exceptional (and patient!) at getting us information and putting up with the constant questions, but it should not be her job to do that. With the exception of one or two update posts, Meisha Merlin has been completely uncommunicative about the book, the dates, orders, etc, even on their message board and through direct emails. Add to that the fact that they took payment off credit cards at the time of preorders, and you have a worrisome situation.

No disrespect meant to Trys, but I think that everyones' gripes are legitimate and not mean-spirited at all (It seems like we have more disappointment than any other emotion going around!)

Regards,
Chad

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:39 pm: Edit Post

Eyore - be surprised.

This isn't third hand info, this time.

I was at Stephe's right hand when Lynn phoned from the Georgia warehouse saying the orders were shipped OUT, and in fact, it caused consternation, because in her rush to get your books off to you, she forgot to enclose the signed bookplates, which Stephe plans to package and send separately this week, when he's back in the office.

I HAVE AN AUTHOR'S COPY.

This volume is off press, and on its way to you.

I have not minded answering questions here, as staff at Meisha Merlin is very small, and on the road working, much of the time - as information was given to me, you got it - if anything too quickly, since the projections involved many links in a chain - not just Meisha Merlin, but their suppliers, who are also firms composed of human beings and subject to fallibilty and delays.

I very Much mind the inference that I am not straight with you, or that I would FOR ONE SECOND project trust in a firm that is not deserving of MY trust.

This said - enjoy the book, and thank you for your patience in staying the course in support. Let's do that, and let growing pangs be growth pangs, past tense.

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:39 pm: Edit Post

Janny, I'm sorry if you felt I was inferring that you're not straight with us, or that you are projecting a false sense of trust to your audience. I think that you're playing completely straight with us, and that you're attempting to faithfully relay any information you may have to us, and I think you have very sound reasons for making the choice in publisher that you have made.

However, there's always break downs in communication, and the reasoning behind decisions made, no matter how well explained, often aren't fully understood by the people not making the decision. This is in no way is your fault, or your problem. As you said, sometimes they give you information too quickly, because there are links in their chain that they have no direct control over. My statement about second and third hand information wasn't suggesting that you are receving third hand information, but that Meisha Merlin gets information from somewhere (first hand), they give it to you, (second hand) and you give it to us (third hand). It's like a giant game of telephone, and there are probably any number of things that aren't being wholly communicated or aren't being communicated verbatim at various links in the chain, and there's nothing one can do about that. Which is why I think it's kind of a problem that we have to hear things from you, instead of from Meisha Merlin directly, above and beyond the issue of it being dissapointing customer service.

I think it's hard to hear people criticize a company that you feel strongly positive about, and that you've put a lot of thought into choosing. I've found though that even explaining, in detail, why something is done a particular way, there will always be people who don't understand. Because they didn't live through the problems or through the research and thinking that led to the decision. One of my hobbies is helping to maintain a silly text-based game, and the one thing I can count on is for at least half of the playerbase complaining when we change something. Even when we explain why we decided to implement the change we did, the problems it is fixing, or the design choices we made, half the players will still complain and think its a poor idea. They don't get to see the backend process, they don't realize just how much of a hassle the old way of doing things was, and how any problems or downgrades the new way creates are completely worth the benefits we as the administrators reap. All they see is how it effects their lives, and usually, they only pay attention to the negative effects. I try to remember that when I'm on the verge of strangling them all for complaining, and I try to remember that when I'm on the receiving end as well. It just always seemed to me that Meisha Merlin would be doing themselves a HUGE favor by posting information themselves rather than passing it onto you to post. It may take some time away from processing orders or doing whatever else they're doing, but I think it would cut out a huge volume of the complaints they no doubt receive, and I think it would improve the confidence their customers have in them, and make them far more likely to continue to buy their goods.

I'm a big fan of the small corporation trying to make a name for themselves, and the level of service they have been willing to provide you, the author, has been by all accounts extraordinary. Its just a little disheartening that the service they provide the people buying their books isn't as stellar. I honestly didn't mind the delays, patience is something you have to learn when you read as many multi-volume series as I'm sure all of your readers do. Another 6 months on top of the two years is small in comparison. I understand that problems and delays are usually unavoidable. I didn't mind those at all. I only get irritated when the panic strikes that I have no idea if the book is arriving, and that after several weeks of wondering and trying to contact people, I may never see it, and never know why. And it won't be the end of the world, I'll go buy it at a bookstore and be done with it, but I'll still have that bitter taste in my mouth of feeling screwed... and I'm as sad about not having the book as I am by the idea that this will drive people to buy your next book from the UK publisher instead, and a company that seems to care much more about producing a quality product may end up not suceeding.