Archive through June 12, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Coronary!: Archive through June 12, 2005
   By ishmael smith on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:54 am: Edit Post

Janny you are going to give me a Coronary...my brain, heart and emotions cannot withstand the onslaught of many more of your plot twists.

I get frustrated when i see the shortsightedness of characters, the pre-empting of possible peace, and the continual crushing of Arithon...my heart constricts as though there is a constrictor entwined about its pliant edges that is slowly, inexorably, coiling itself tighter and tighter...its surface is erupting like small postules,too much pressure applied...you're killing me Janny...you're killing me...

(that i now understand that you have multiple plans being enacted that intersect since they occur within the same geographic/spacial/temporal area, that i understand that the approach is one that is lattices more complex than that of a crystal, that i know that you are playing with a live organism that adapts and reacts, that you are strecthing your own existence, your own living self, that you are striving to be the best that you can, to be a consumate writer, and to acknowledge and live Ath's purpose in you life is of NO CONSOLATION to me!)

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:13 am: Edit Post

Could I know what part of the story prompted this response? (are you by any chance partially through Traitor's Knot, or ???)

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:14 am: Edit Post

Also - forgot - make SURE to post in the Spoiler Topic for Traitor's Knot, if you are going to reveal story --

By Trys on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

ishmael,

Sounds to me like Janny's doing her job superbly. ;) IMO, there is no other story with the depths, the breadths, or heights that this story has reached... with yet more to come.

That said, perhaps a nice cup of chamomile tea before you start to read. ::big grin::

Trys

By ishmael smith on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

I completed the entire hardcover edition from Meisha Merlin in two sittings (should a been studing for exams but as is the case with all of your books so far, it was impossible once the copy was in hand...and once again...Thank You for To Ride Hell's Chasm...although your characters have character, it was exquisite to read a story where the primary character, the hero/possitive/critical/pivotal element, reflected me...Thank You)

most poignant Janny was Jenysa on the boat to West Halla...the possible repercussions are myriad to my mind and caused me to cryout in sympathy

By ishmael smith on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 12:41 pm: Edit Post

**** this is the complete response Janny, not the previous ******

I completed the entire hardcover edition from Meisha Merlin in two sittings (should a been studing for exams but as is the case with all of your books so far, it was impossible once the copy was in hand...and once again...Thank You for To Ride Hell's Chasm...although your characters have character, it was exquisite to read a story where the primary character, the hero/possitive/critical/pivotal element, reflected me and i did not have to gloss over references to physical features to create my own...Thank You)

most poignant Janny was Jenysa on the boat to West Halla...this was the last straw, the possible future repercussions are myriad to my mind and caused me to cryout in sympathy as i percieved nothing positive for the foreseeable haul

By Hellcat on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:04 am: Edit Post

I agree ishmeal, I see more troubles ahaed for the clans of Raithan with a Caithen who doesn't trust Raiathn's crown prince.

Jenysa's reaction to her father's death, though understandable, was very disapointing. She wanted to blame everyone for Jiret's death apart from Jieret himself, who knew the risk, who put himself in that situation. No one forced him in to it.IMHO Jenysa should have trusted her father more, trusted that he knew his cause was worth dying for and she should respect his free choice to take the path that lead to his death.

Its also interesting to me how Jenysa portrays Jieret's death in the opposite way to the way it was described in Peril's Gate. In PG Jieret's death was a redemption and an opening to the mysteries, I was sad he died but his physical death truly didn't matter because he had achived spritual release and furfilment. Jenysa however concentrated on the mutilation and destruction of his phyiscal form. Did it really matter what happend to Jieret's skull after death?

Hellcat

By skeoke on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:12 am: Edit Post

It is very hard for me to remember that most of RAthain clans have never met Arithon.

Jieret - deceased.
Caolle - deceased.
Braggen - close mouthed.

What ARE the clans to think?

spoiler spoiler spoiler

don't look here.

you've been warned

-

-

especially with Jeynsa's vision, showing Arithon working fist and glove with Kravolir.

('Kay. That might have been misinterpretted a bit. But, what are the s'Brydion going to do when they find out. After they've been so unconditionally disowned.)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 11:16 am: Edit Post

Ah well - ishmael - you ARE still alive....(grin) This series will not reward anyone who is too faint of heart to keep reading...this is, after all, the windup toward the close of an Arc, and an involved third act it is, too.

By Ruth W M on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 11:17 pm: Edit Post

If I can peek in here...Faint of heart? I have never felt so faint of heart as I did while reading...well, the whole book! I went to work today so distracted that I never thought the clock would come 'round to time to get back to where I left off... dedicated reading has now brought me through to the end, and will take me back to the beginning VERY soon.
BTW Janny, the Meisha Merlin edition is TOPS! SO!! glad I waited. Will definitely wait again! Hope to see more gorgeous illustrations - and I LOVED the zoom maps! Congratulations on the best, headiest, writing ever! So much food for thought, my mind is like a famine victim brought to the first thanksgiving...
A million unanswered questions, like the prophetic glimpses of possible futures...what now? What is going to happen next?(wail) Think I'll go back and read again, to pick up the missed details...
Most impacting to me was the idea of personal autonomy as a ground-level right as an aware being...the potential everyone has if they just realize their self-worth in the greater scheme of things. Where this will take Arithon, I shudder to contemplate. Arithon's path to balance (his continuing path) is amazing to me. And Lysaer! How easy self-delusion is, but the cost...