Archive through June 16, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Status report: Archive through June 16, 2005
   By Trys on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 08:48 pm: Edit Post

Apparently date of order placed with Amazon.com has no relevance to when they fill the order. I placed an order for TK with them on September 7, 2004 and no indication that they are preparing it for shipping.

Trys

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:53 pm: Edit Post

Tempest,
I'm located in western central Louisiana in a little town called Many.

Trys,
I complained to Amazon back in January and they sent me a $5 gift certificate which I have already cashed in on new books from them. Maybe "the sqeaky wheel gets greased" ? It could also be that I order lots of books from Amazon?
Frank

By Trys on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:14 am: Edit Post

Frank,

I'm happy you got your copy.

As to greasy wheel, no I haven't complained... just did. :-)

As to Amazon purchases... I haven't been in a mall in years. Virtually all my books, music CDs, movie DVDs, kitchen items, small appliances, etc are bought through Amazon.

However, I expect to be buying my SF/F from Clarkesworld from here on out.

Trys

By Deborah McNemar on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 09:03 am: Edit Post

Amazon.com assigns a DC when the order is placed. Depending on which DC it is, when they get the books in their location and how much other stuff is going out, all factors into when you get your book. :-P I live in a town with a DC and my stuff still comes in from another DC. Go figure... Complaining does help some since that order is then annotated with the complaint and it sort of jogs the computer, lol.

By Trys on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

Deborah,

Amazon sent me one of those lovely canned/scripted responses that did nothing to address my questions. I hate those. Definitely time to start spending less money there.

Trys

By neilw on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:38 am: Edit Post

I have had positive responses from Amazon.co.uk when I have had problems. During the last 12 months I have had something damaged or late...they shipped again free of charge.

There was a mix up one time but it was to due me not explainly clearly enough what I needed. The customer complaint email address is well hidden though at the end of a "well...if all of these automatic responses are not the solution to your problem, sigh...I guess you can contact a real employee to describe your problem" weblink trail :-)

So for me they are still offering a good service.

By Scott W on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:04 pm: Edit Post

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Meisha Merlin? I have emailed them with no response.

I have moved since I placed my order with their website, and I want them to ship to my new address. I should have just ordered from Neil over at Clarkesworld, but I guess I didn't realize that he would be carrying it.

By Ryan Gohl on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 12:07 pm: Edit Post

I have the same issue as Scott. I have been trying to contact Meisha Merlin to either check on my order status, or to go ahead and cancel and pick up the book elsewhere.

By Chad Jenkins on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:33 pm: Edit Post

I got tired of waiting and cancelled my Amazon order on 6/9. I ordered directly from Meisha Merlin on that same day with a request for a FedEx tracking number.

They never replied to my order inquiries, but they DID charge the order on the 12th and ship it on the 13th. I received it today in good condition from FedEx.

I'd say that despite their communications difficulties, ordering directly from Meisha Merlin is the most expedient way to get the book.

Regards,
Chad

By Wayne McCalla on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:42 am: Edit Post

Don't forget that as of right now Meisha Merlin is a 2 man operation. Actually 1 man 1 woman operation.
With Lynn just getting back into the swing of things after a new baby. So inquiries may be delayed by a few days.

What did you put in subject line? Maybe if you put in something like change of delivery address or something like that it may get noticed.
I have heard that sometimes that MM will get 50+ emails for people just inquiring about an order that if they answered them all they would never have the time to do anything else.

Because I had something similar with an order and new email address and cc problems took Lynn a couple days to respond.(This was before baby) :-)

And don't forget if emailed on Friday most likely only Lynn because Stephe will be attending cons to promote the books in the dealer's room. So figure most likely he wouldn't be there Thurs and monday because of travel(if far away) and most likely Lynn isn't there on Sat\Sun.

Wayne