Archive through June 20, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Status report: Archive through June 20, 2005
   By Nancy Brown on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

My copy arrived from Amazon on Tuesday--and I'd made no complaints. :-) The illustrations are lovely! I'm located in a small city in north Georgia not known for getting things first so I'm guessing everyone will have their copy quite soon. Unless I got lucky because of the physical proximity of Meisha Merlin to the Amazon warehouse that would ship to me ...

Nancy

By Deborah McNemar on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

Trys,
Believe it or not, they are called "blurbs" and there is supposedly a correct blurb for virtually every question. Unfortunately, Amazon sends most email to India to be answered and some of the responses are hilarious.

By Bruce on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:33 am: Edit Post

I can't speak to how Amazon handles ther email, but about 5 years ago now I did do email support for bn.com . We were encouraged to use the templates that they set up because they would answer 90 % of customers questions. Which would be the case if the right template was used, but I remember numerous comlaints from customers because the responses had nothing to do with their complaints. Then there are the requests that have no templates to go along with them, and the associate should be able to formulate a reply or fill out the appropriate form to correct things like incorrect web listings. However, the customer service associates differ wildly in intelligence you have the good ones and then you have the ones who could be characters from the movie "Deliverance". This could have changed a bit, but their website has changed much in that time so I doubt they changed their customer service. As an aside for me it was most amusing to read my own customer account, and my complaints and the responses. I've only made 2 orders from bn.com and they screwed up both of them.

By Bruce on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:42 am: Edit Post

On Clarkesworld he didn't have Traitor's Knot listed until this last Sunday, when I and another nameless reader requested that he carried it. Anyhow he got it listed and arranged to have Janny sign the books within 5 hours after my request, just try to get that level of service from amazon or bn.com. I'm feeling a little guilty that I won't be ordering it from him after making those suggestions, but not all that much. I spend plenty of my money there. I will get to Ride Hell's Chasm from him for my brother. (He only reads standalone novels)

Bruce

By Trys on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:32 am: Edit Post

Bruce,

You should be aware that right after your post here about Clarkesworld, I contacted Neil about a link from the 'Where to Buy' page on Janny's site and indicated I'd be happy to do that but... I didn't see Traitor's Knot offered. That helped kick things off nicely.

However, you deserve full credit because without your post here I would not have known about that independent online bookstore.

Re: Amazon... canceled the order and will reorder elsewhere. (And if you're wondering, I got a copy direct from MM and have four ordered at Circle Books (me and three other people.) And... finally... they have the book listed with five 5-star reviews. So, it would be nice if there were a stampede of people to post reviews of the book on amazon (HINT! HINT! <grin>... and B&N... and anywhere else people know where online reviews can be posted.

Trys

By tempest on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 06:40 pm: Edit Post

I just checked Amazon and they now have it listed as shipping in 24 hrs. My order still doesn't indicate it has been shipped. I am hopeful it will get sent out on the 17th. But it still may take 4-5 days.

By Ric Tate on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:41 am: Edit Post

I just got my copy from Amazon.com. Its in my hands as I write this just delivered by the UPS man. (Picture me cavorting with glee). Now I'm feeling guilty. I want to play hooky from working:-)

ITS FINALLY HERE!!!!

By tempest on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 01:01 am: Edit Post

Amazon emailed me after I complained about slow shipping and it is now in my town. But I bet it will be Monday before I see it . However the UPS terminal is only 6 miles away.

By skeoke on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:35 pm: Edit Post

Wow! It's beautiful!

Now I want all my books from Meisha Merlin!

(and, who at Publishers Weekly thinks Janny isn't up to Tolkien or Jordan! That's the most rediculous and insulting thing I've ever heard! Nonsense.)

By Auna on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:40 pm: Edit Post

Bah, rank insult to say Janny isn't up with Jordan and frankly, Tolkien's writing style isn't all that impressive (ok, slay me for blaspheming!) :p

There is a typo in the biography third paragraph from the end. But hey, who cares!