Archive through June 28, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Iyats: Archive through June 28, 2005
   By Diann Coonfield on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Arithon to Dakar "Davien's notes were explict. He explained iyats as raw energy granted the willful drive to exist. They sustain as parasites, feeding off borrowed charge, but lacking the self-aware memory of an entity able to grow and evolve." MM edition Page 260

Question for Janny (if it doesn't expose later plot development) Since an iyat is trapped inside the Waystone,will interaction with the Waystone provide a memory to allow growth? Since one of the goals if the Fellowship is to redeem drake spawn, is this a way that the iyats can be redeemed?

(Message edited by admin on June 24, 2005)

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:50 am: Edit Post

Hi Diann - You asked - hmmmm, now, how is this question NOT going to spoil future plot??? (grin) I think you'll have to wait this one out, as it's not history, or backdrop but active storyline.

By Róisín on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:27 am: Edit Post

Nice idea!

By Hunter on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 08:42 am: Edit Post

SPOILERS.. SPOILERS..

I'm more interested in how the Great Waystone is going to be changed by this iyat.. If I remember correctly, Selidie was going to have to "realign" the Great Waystone prior to being able to use it again. Just what this means - and whether Selidie can actually do this - is a whole different question.

By Auna on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

There was a paragraph in PG where Selidie was fighting the waystone that implied the stone itself desired to gain new memories to grow itself. Also, iyats absorb negative energy and there's a ton of that in the waystone. So... this is definitely going to cause some changes to either iyat, stone, or both. I can't wait!

By Hunter on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 07:55 pm: Edit Post

I'm waiting to see if and when the Koriani stones can, or allowed to, free themselves from Koriani domination. We saw that with Elaira's personal crystal expressing it's clear preference in PG.

The Fellowship have very clearly not interfered with the Great Waystone and Skyron for example because they are off-Atheran origin, therefore outside of the Compact.

Elaira's knowledge of crystals and the Koriani enforced usage of crystal from her time in Ath's hostel in the Skyshiels will make it interesting when and if she's brought back into the Koriani fold.

By Neil on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:14 am: Edit Post

Hmm, yes, perhaps she can draw on resources - with permission - that the senior koriani would not even recognise as consciousness or she'll finally ask the F7 / Arithon (Does Arithon not see the possbility of freeing Elaira?) for help.

I wonder whether she'll ever meet Sulfin Erend or Kevor/Kevor's mother. There might be some interesting conversations to be had.

By Hunter on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:24 am: Edit Post

Where Sulfin Evend will end up after returning the Biedar knife is anyone's guess. Given everyone seems to be heading in the general direction of Alestron, anything's possible!

By Trys on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:05 am: Edit Post

Please be careful that you posts don't reveal anything in the first line of text as white space (carriage returns, spaces) don't move the text out of what appears in a list of messages that are displayed from a search. I've not been hard core about requiring the SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (note THREE OF 'EM) at the top of the posts but I'd appreciate it if you would all try to remember to do this.

Trys

By Auna on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

spoiler spoiler spoiler

Not exactly a spoiler but aligning a crystal brings up an interesting sidetrack into physics on the properties of crystals that I dredged up from age old memory of a class I took long ago.

Crystals are composed of regular lattices of molecules arranged in planes. In our world, we use xrays to uncover the structure of crystals, since xray wavelengths are teeny enough to be refracted/reflected off the crystal planes. You rotate a crystal around and shoot a beam and it projects an image to work from. You can use this to discover the axes of rotation that make up the planes of a crystal which you could then technically 'align' with the magnetics of the earth field if that was important (it is in Athera).

In Athera, they use sound (and magic) instead of xyrays to do this determination of the crystal's resonant frequency and axes of alignment. The waystone now has cracks and a different material fused in it due to overheating. The different material will have a different resonant frequency and axes of rotation due to the different molecular structure. The fractures will also alter the resonant frequencies. The combination of both ought to give Prime Selidie a nice headache not to mention the addition of an iyat.