Archive through June 24, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Your take...: Archive through June 24, 2005
   By anon on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:31 am: Edit Post

Hmnn...
How to start. Like you Janny, but I have to agree with some of your critics this time. Too much language and a book that did not have as much oomph (punch in the stomach) as your other books. Couched in all the language it's hard to grasp the point at times. I got the sense that it was a repeat of the same old thing. The story did not carry me along as it normally would. The Lysaer bit is repetitive and lacking in the substance that makes his side of the story believable. Arithon is his same caustic self, protecting his bleeding compassionate heart with sharp words is a tad repetitive as well. The characters seem to be falling flat. But then again, maybe the 2 1/2 years since the last realease just took some of the scales off.

What I did like about the book though is the reunion of Arithon and Elaira. The bit that also kept me intrigued was the Sulfin Evend part. Look foward to the next book, maybe you'll blow all my observations apart then.
Gotta say I still prefer "Ships of Merior" and "Peril's Gate above all"

Loyal fans, feel free to lambast.

By Wendy Collett on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:44 am: Edit Post

I have found at times that I didn't always appreciate some books as much during the first read, as during reads at other times.

FP was not one that grabbed me as much straight away, nor was Hell's Chasm. However, I have read both of them again a few times, and they are slowly growing on me.

I don't think we all have to agree which is best each time, and some will obviously be better than others. How boring if each was the same!

Sort of a bit like I see the others discussing RJ. From the sound of it, I'm fortunate that I've avoided the series, although I have to say that Terry Goodkind is starting to go the way of RJ as well...

By Lyssabits on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:45 am: Edit Post

Starting to got the way of RJ? ;) I haven't read his most recent offering, but the two just before it made me feel like I was at a self-help rally being preached at. Poor Terry, he clearly has very firm philosophical ideals, if only he knew how to show us his arguements instead of having his characters lecture other characters in the book with the same speech over and over again. After awhile it started to feel like Richard was stumping for some political office on the, "Selfishness can be good!" platform. Like a kinder, less egotistical Ayn Rand. I thought his book that seemed to demonstrate all the problems he thinks cause communism not to work was pretty good, but all the books after that were less showy and more preachy. They didn't really need a plotline at all to get their point across.

By Trys on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 04:16 am: Edit Post

Please do not start a Jordan thread here. The other one is quite enough and is probably going away soon as this board really isn't a place to trash other authors. :-)

By Auna on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:15 pm: Edit Post

Actually, the book nook is a good spot to put those other authors books are good/not so good reviews.

I see this book as a turning point in the series. Up until now, Arithon has been either a victim of his s'Ffallen compassion or the mistwraith's intentions. Finally, he is in control and the fellowship and us readers have to realize that we can trust him to handle things his own way. Even though I don't like him in this book, I think Davien is the only person aside from Elaira that has trust in Arithon's abilities. The rest are still in protect mode and have just been kicked in the gut.

I think this book sets up many things for the next book and we'll appreciate this one more after the next one is out.

By Trys on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:00 pm: Edit Post

Yes, the book nook is the place to review books/authors, but I would suggest that they be critiques not trash posts (not that I'm saying anyone has made posts trashing other authors, but it would reflect badly on Janny if such posts were seen by members of the industry (publishers, authors, agents, etc.) and I've been given to believe that the Chat Area is visited by such luminaries.) :-)

Trys

By skeoke on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 06:26 pm: Edit Post

anon ~

I'm surprised. I didn't see this book as a "repeat of the same". I saw Arithon as NOT protecting his vulnerable side after his growth/absolution in PG. It made him seem cold and distant to me. Very different from other books. Also, Lysaer seems to have lost it. He's not even pretending to have it together this go. He seems less a crusading idealist and more an isolated tyrant.

I wasn't very fond of this book at first read. I felt I had set up for an uppercut and got a left hook instead. I was left reeling, and wondering where that came from.

On my second read, after reading a slew of different books from different genres and eras - to clear the palate, as it were - I loved TK. It's a bend in the road, for sure, but what new vistas will it open for SF and arcs 4 & 5?

By Trys on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:01 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

skeoke,

I agree with you about Lysaer, but I suspect it is less about him 'having lost it' and more about the Curse has gotten its hooks even deeper into him. Any little thing that crosses his purpose can trigger a Curse engraged reaction. That, frankly, scares me and I think it scares Sulfin Evend. Were I SE I'd be finding as many 'roadtrips' as possible. <grin>

Trys

By Neilw on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:27 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I still need to reread TK a 2nd time I think.

Arithon wasn't cold and distant for me. He just perceiving a whole lot more than before and he's ahead of the game for a bit but hampered by Kingdom/Fellowship responsibilties.

His responses on the ship were truly a change in direction from what we've seen before (Dakar and the 2 Alestron clan are surprised). His dealings at the end of the book were a little tense with Dakar but his solutions to problems are gaining momentum with respect to innovation and perception of the Athera environment. I would say that Davien is a good influence; he must not accept currently perceived limitations. He is free to rewrite some of the rules it seems and forge his (and humanity's) fate...

It's true perhaps that we are cheering for Sulfin because he seems to have had the biggest problems during the first half of the book and failure looks likely. Arithon nearly always "comes through" so far :-)

But Lysaer has made a first step to admitting to the existence of the curse. It's not clear to me whether he can help himself. Even though he is cast out of the compact, could he still ask the F7 for help since his bloodline has been changed and after all their decisions played a part too?

Would the fellowship have had their lives made easier with a possessed Lysaer? Did they foresee this possibility in COTM already?

Sulfin Evend has a duty now to check Lysaer (?) so no long term road-trippin' for him. Enithen Tuer predicted that his lack of flexibility will be his undoing (and she was a seer after all...)

By Iris Timm on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:41 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Interesting how we each reacted..I found TK to be packing a lot of "punch in the stomach" in fact it was physically uncomfortable at many points for me. I DO understand anon's point of view...I love Janny's writing but find myself re-reading and re-reading...due to the style of detail and the intricate wording. I love the struggle and attribute it to the fact that I spend so much of my time reading pretty straight forward stuff (research, news, stats, etc) and my brain has to go into an utterly different gear to access the language ans style Janny uses in this series.

It is a little harder to work at but well worth the struggle - for me.

I found Arithon to be (understandably) in a bit of a paradox. On the one hand he has expanded in the scope of his strength, skill, and understanding and on the other he is like beginner, still new at assimilating it all. I saw him working hard to reject the "old" way of dealing with things and embrace the lessons he won in the maze - this is most true for me in the way he handles the necromancers... I am convinced the end was no accident - He made a choice and didn't ask for F7 help (though that is true to character!) A very different approach; trusting and passive. Far different feel to this episode than any other...HUGE difference for me.

SE is certainly a fascinating mix of potential now...I wonder if he ultimately saves Lysaer somehow - though I am sure it won't be straight forward or simple...not with Janny. How can he raise a war host for Lysaer and stay in accord with his oath as cathdien...knowing the curse is behind it all? Hmmmm.