Archive through July 06, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Paravians: Archive through July 06, 2005
   By Tom Balogh on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:19 am: Edit Post

SPOILER

Someone please help me with a page reference for this as I don't have my book with me... I'll try and put it in when I get back to it but that may not be for a week.

Somewhere in Traitor's Knot, I think when the love scene goes wrong, there is a mention of a Paravian that implies to me that they are still on Athera itself.

Has anyone else spotted this?

By ishmael smith on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:10 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER

do you mean the reference to a Unicorn lifting its head when Arithon asks "Grace" of Ath and his presence "resounds through all of Ath's Creation"?

(Message edited by admin on June 17, 2005)

By Trys on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 10:32 am: Edit Post

FYI, adding white space does nothing to hide the content of the post when a list of messages is displayed through the front page or search feature. :-)

By Tom Balogh on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 07:13 am: Edit Post

POSSIBLE SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Finally got to my copy and found the line.

UK Trade Paperback edition, p 493 - 494.

"Across the five kingdoms, sleepers smiled in dreams, Unicorns flung up their horned heads and tossed their floss manes in astonishment."

This implies to me that Unicorns are present in this time and in the kingdoms of Athera.

What does everyone else think? If I am right this is a momentous announcement - perhaps they have shifted themselves to a different vibration?

Tamas

By Hunter on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 08:34 am: Edit Post

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

We have come across several mentions of Paravians in the current time. In Curse when the unicorn was confused by the re-emergence of sunlight, the unicorn who visits Elaira in Ath's hostel, the centaur who visits Arithon in Kewar and this mention. So we know they are still around - but not exactly where.

This of course assumes that the grace of the Paravian intercession is actually bound by temporal or physical constraints.

By Trys on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 12:50 pm: Edit Post

If memory serves the Centaur in Kewar tunnel was called across time (he references his death). He was real in Kewar where as the on that answered Jieret's call was but a 'ghost'. The only thing I'm not sure of is were they the same Ilitharis Paravian?

Trys

By neilw on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

"tender touch...real...kewar tunnel's...spellcraft...bridged space...time...through crown prince's passion longing" (I'm too lazy to type it all (from "second recovery", Peril's Gate))

I feel the centaur is the same one:

"I give you my memory (each word rang with crystalline overtures, wild and free as his horn call had been, ranging over the vales of Daon Ramon)"

By Hunter on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

The Centaur says to Arithon "the riddle was not written, the day I greet my death" so I'm not sure he's actually dead at that time. But are the Paravians bound by time? They are semi-mortal, they can die, either violently or through attrition or diminishment.

It is the same centaur because Arithon is reliving Jieret's death in the Kewar Tunnel when the Ilitharis Paravian strides onto Daon Ramon Barrens. Arithon's longing causes the centaur to appear - as he says, "I was called, truly".

By Tamas on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

Yes, but if Unicorns across the five kingdoms flung up their heads it implies both multiple ones (not just the one that Elaira saw) and also that they are in Paravia itself - still in the real world.

It could be spirit wraiths I suppose but it seems to me to imply that they are alive and in the kingdom's - under the fellowship's nose but somehow hidden.

Tamas

p.s. Trys; any chance you can change my name in my earlier posts to Tamas? I don't know why it turned up in the first place.

By Trys on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 09:57 am: Edit Post

quote:

not just the one that Elaira saw

If memory serves, Elaira didn't see the unicorn. :-)

Tamas,

Sorry, this board software doesn't have a facility for editing the user name on the posts, only the content of the post.

Trys