Archive through July 13, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Musings: Archive through July 13, 2005
   By Trys on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:01 am: Edit Post

Spoiler post moved from Traitor's Knot: Preview 2

By Silvia on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 03:00 pm: Edit Post

Just being provocative...

Davien seems like a clever chap. Not quite sure why he's not more interested in dealing with this wraith issue. I mean, yes, he's the Betrayer, but he also seems to quite like being alive - he doesn't seem to view life as a burden in the way that Asandir occasionally seems to, for example - and he must know that the wraiths, if they get out, are going to cause significant problems even for him. Also, he seems to have a lot of fun messing with people - if the wraiths escape, no more people to mess with. He's not wholly uninterested in the fate of the human race, or he wouldn't regard the rebellion as his version of Arithon's Havens debacle. Which brings me back to the question - why doesn't he have a little look at these wraith things himself? Is he just being stubborn?

Anyone else think Halliron was a bit selfish making poor Arithon into a Masterbard - yet another responsibility - now if he dies without a successor he'll have killed off the s'Ffalenn bloodline and ended the line of Masterbards. Poor guy.

On the other hand, perhaps Arithon should consider taking a more positive view of life, and being a little less self-absorbed. Don't gape, boys and girls, wait a minute, here. Ok, so he can't do what he wants to do and be with who he wants to be with, but he has the opportunity to help save the world and bring the Paravians back! Isn't that kind of exciting? Isn't it better than being powerless? Isn't it incredibly selfish of him to think 'Naa, this sucks, I wanna play music and hang out with my girlfriend, or at least just drop dead - this whole saving humanity and securing the return of ineffable and sublime beings is a real bore'. Also, I remember in CotM when Asandir told him that he was the only one who could bring about the return of the Paravians (or something like that) he went off in an almighty huff and then Lysaer got pretty grumpy with Asandir too. Well, sorry boys, but what about Asandir? He's got the weight of the world on his shoulders too. Is it really fair to expect him to just let the world go to pieces and forget about Unicorns and so forth just because of some pretty, musical kid with a bleeding heart? No.

Finally - why is everyone so bothered that Arithon and Elaira can't get it on. Ok, it sucks. But weigh it up: fate of the world v. Arithon getting his rocks off with his chick. Hmmm. Also on this point - why did DAKAR have to 'help him out'? (Ick.) Why couldn't Elaira do it. Fully clothed, you understand, arm's length, quick hand-job...Morriel can't be THAT good at getting people pregnant, surely? Unnecessary humiliation. Actually I was slightly sickened by that whole affair (which I think was kind of the point)?

By maxine marie pankonin on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:15 am: Edit Post

I like your view Sylvia!!! I like it alot. Thank you for the crack up; that was priceless!!

By Mitchell Dowd on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:34 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Why couldn't Elaira do it. Fully clothed, you understand, arm's length, quick hand-job...

Hahaha...

By Sean Monahan on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

"Anyone else think Halliron was a bit selfish making poor Arithon into a Masterbard"

No. As Masterbard, he was honor-bound to find a successor, or else his skills lost to Athera for all time. That is, it would be selfish for Arithon to decline. Of course, Arithon himself asked Hilliron for the position, as he swore to Felerin.

Furthermore, the 5 years as apprentice allowed Arithon peace and joy, to travel the world, and to study music, his life's passion. His mage-sight blinded, the music provided him a connection to Ath's mysteries, and subsequently saved his life on more than one occasion.

By Auna on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:12 pm: Edit Post

Elaira couldn't do it because it might have activated the already partially activated snare. That's what I got out of the reading and the reason she was kept away from him until they were done.

I can understand Arithon's not wanting to rule. It would be hard on anyone to be a ruler if they had foresight to see what their decisions will do to others and a strong compassion that cannot be turned off or ignored and be mage trained to boot. However, he appears to be getting his act together and I can't wait to see what surprises he springs on us all!

By Trys on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:11 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Elaira couldn't do it because it might have activated the already partially activated snare. That's what I got out of the reading and the reason she was kept away from him until they were done.

Auna, my take on that scene as well.

Trys

By Timothy on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:33 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

No... it wasn't the pregnancy that was the issue. It was the sigil that Morriel had imprinted on Elaira that would cause every woman he umm.. slept with to become pregnant. It would have been activated if Elaira helped Arithon.