Archive through August 18, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Review: Archive through August 18, 2005
   By Lekx on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:06 pm: Edit Post

Fug! I love it! Some of these words are absolutely great. I'm defintely going to be sharing this one with some people. :-)
Janny, what is your definition of the word penultimate? Either it's different from the one I'm accustomed to, or you're driving a subtle point in several places that has eluded me. I've always used it in the sense of 'next-to-last' eg, the penultimate chapter of a book is the second-last chapter.
If you could clear that confusion for me I would be grateful.
- Dave

By Trys on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:55 pm: Edit Post

A good source of definitions is www.dictionary.com. They have fug as "A heavy, stale atmosphere, especially the musty air of an overcrowded or poorly ventilated room" very close to Janny's definition.

By Sandtiger on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 08:33 am: Edit Post

Janny,

Bakka now has the Trade version of To Ride Hell's Chasm. It looks fantastic!

Jana

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

Dave - your definition flies true.

Andy - you keep a crowd in your bathroom??? :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Sandtiger - thanks for the update for Chasm - it ought to be appearing, now - I hope it's easier to find. Meisha in Diamond's hands is gradually getting better with the distribution -

Off now to finish a subchapter.

By Erik Nilsson on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:46 am: Edit Post

Hello. I have a small question. There were a lot of talk on the forum before about the cover of the US edition of Traitor's Knot. Many problems with printers and such.

I was wondering, are the colors of the cover painting supposed to be this cold? The painting seems almost drained of color. Compared to the samples here on the site the bookshelves in wood are supposed to be a warm reddish brown color but the Meisha Merlin cover has them a greyish brown.

Just a small thought. Did it turn out the way you wanted, Janny?
Thanks for all your books.
ericf

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

Erik - nope, it didn't come out. The printer's proofs were bang on. Nobody saw the color shift until the finished book arrived at Meisha Merlin. By then, there had been enough delays...

The colors are as you saw here - a warm amber.

I have no idea why the press run went gray --- neither does Kevin, who does the design. The proofs were exact - and that is the frustration. What was OKed is not what turned out.

Everything else however, came out as it should.

By Erik Nilsson on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

Ok. Sorry all these problems appeared when preparing this book.
I'm sure they will be much more meticulous with the next book. And when will that one possibly come out?
Heh, heh. I'm joking, of course, but I gather that some of it is already written since this book had to be edited down from the manuscript you had.
Good luck.
Ericf

By Stefan Urlus on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 07:43 pm: Edit Post

Hi Erik

Jump onto the Status thread in Stormed Fortress to keep upto date on Janny progress with SF.....looking very good already, plus there are some small teasers in there to keep the vibe moving along nicely!!!!

By Hunter on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 12:54 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny,

Any chance of telling us the titles of some of the books behind Arithon? :-)

Hunter (who know has his US copy of TK..)