Archive through August 02, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Cover art and such: Archive through August 02, 2004
   By Blue on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit Post

I love First Maitz! Not only is the artwork great, Don's commentary is also not to be missed.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit Post

The three painting "suite" for the UK cover of Traitor's Knot is FINISHED. Off to the photographer with it pronto -

Time to bribe the gryphon - he's got jpgs! They go on site here when he's well and truly happy - (and has the spare time to do the techno stuff to them!)

Off to write a new short story - and do the interior graphics for the rest of this month.

By Cheryl on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

Would offering lots of mutton help!!!

By Trys on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

Mutton always helps. <g> ::sound of snapping beak is heard in the distance::

By Sandtiger on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

Fantastic! Can't wait to see.

And good luck on the short story.

Sandtiger

By Konran on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit Post

I wuv you, gryphon? *hopeful puppy eyes*

By DarkStorm on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit Post

*offers a basket with several bottles of mutton sauce to the gryphon* :-)

I look forward to whatever tasty treats you guys post. *grins*

- DS

By Trys on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit Post

Images of the three paintings for the British cover of Traitor's Knot are now on the site under Art Gallery: Cover Art in Progress: British Traitor's Knot. Enjoy.

By Darren on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit Post

Hmmmmm,

So we are back in Rathain - be nice to visit the the spring beneath Thembrel's Oak. Always wondered about it significance and I must say it looks stunning in colour.

Well done Janny.

Darren.

By skeoke on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit Post

Is that Cianor's sun loop??

And, I'm guessing Arithon on the horse and Davien as eagle.

So, Davien did make the cover (if I'm right).

They (it?) look(s) wonderful! Can't wait to see it in person!!

By Hannah on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit Post

Maybe my Atheran geography is off? What's that town/city/place in the background of the bottom image? I think that's what it is.

Hannah

By Hunter on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit Post

Enjoy.. I'm enjoying!!

If we assume (always dangerous!!) that:
- it is Arithon on the horse
- Davien as the Eagle
- the scene depicts them leaving Kewar Tunnel
- they are travelling east - early dawn, sun about to come up

then the town has to be Etarra.. curious as to why they would be going there..

The only other option is that the town is Eastwall, the mountain range is the Skyshiels and Arithon is going to where Elaira is cloistered with Ath's Adepts.. hmm.. even more interesting possibilities..

Of course, I could always be wrong.. but that's the fun of guessing!!

By Trys on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:23 am: Edit Post

Identifying captions will be added when I get home from work. But conjecture is always fun. <g>

By Hellcat on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:29 am: Edit Post

I like!!! (Sorry nothing else to add aprt from that)

Hellcat

By Sandtiger on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit Post

Ooooohhh. Lovely.

Sandtiger ::Always amazed at Janny's talent::

By Konran on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit Post

Very very nice. I'm jealous of Janny's mad skillz with a brush. :D Btw, I had an interesting dream the other night. o.O;; It involved Arithon and Davien (I think... not 100% sure on the other guy's identity...) flying over the ocean. Yes, -flying-. Both of them had wings. Pretty red dragon wings. Premonition or whacked-out creation of my subconscious? We shall see. ;) (Hey, I dreamed my mom promised to buy me a book and then she took me book shopping... it could happen... *drools over thought of Arithon with pretty wings*)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit Post

Not Ciladis' sunloop - that is made of shining metal, has a very elegant line, and certainly isn't looped with rawhide and stone beads. (very wicked grin) - What are seeing is an object, bisected by the "stone rim" which will frame the view of a circular segment of the sunrise landscape.

I have now seen "comps" of the 3 reissue covers - and wow do they ever look nice! I cannot wait to let you see them - but since the editor in question is on holiday, she won't see them (or have her offical chance to comment on them to the art department) until Monday. Therefore, the official unveiling must wait until I know whether these designs are the final ones.

Approaching halfway point on short story - and sometime this weekend, Don's computer will be "free" for me to scan that sketch of Davien, and maybe even, two more Paravia Sketchbook images. We'll see. I've had the drafting pens out, and have inked the circles for the chapter head graphic for Traitor's Knot...that stuff has to be done, too.

By Aria on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit Post

EEEE!!!! I really can't wait for the release now!
First preview snippets and now cover art.

Janny how on Earth you get all of this finished by deadlines I'll never know. Especially since they always seem to look fantastic.

Right now art work...we know that isn't the Sunloop (wish it was, I want to see it!;-)) Could it perhaps be something either to do with Lysaers' cronies (sorry I just wanted to get that word in)attempting to track what is going on? Although I doubt it since they seem to enjoy blood scrying. So I wonder could it be something to do with the Sanpashir desert clans, or perhaps Herb witches or even the Necromancers that appeared in passing I think in P.G (Don't ask me where any of that came from I don't have a clue.) Since I don't see it being anything to do with the Fellowship nor do I see it having anything to do with the Koriathain.

Finally Thembrel's Oak is in Halwythwood which could indicate that Arithon will at one point meet Jeynsa which could be interesting; and as for the city are we certain that it is the Mathorn mountains? Because I think it would be more likely to be the Skyshiels. There is a reason. As far as I'm aware from looking at the map Etarra is in the middle of a confluence not actually within the mountains as the city in the picture is. Also, now this is just my mind. I always thought Etarra to be bigger than that. So I think, as Hunter said as a second option, that the town is Eastwall.

Okay, now I've just blabbed on and on. So I go now to hide again for another few months.

Aria.

By Blue on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 03:24 am: Edit Post

Since you are looking forward to using Don's scanner, Janny, I take it he is past the stage where he is swearing at it? ;^)

Speaking of dreams, Konran, I had one recently wherein Arithon did a favor for the characters in the story I am writing, and the princess who is respectfully known as the spitfire got him a good one... I'll let Janny decide if Arithon is in character or not:

Seeing the majority of the family and crew members descending on the other Masterbard, Arithon tried to slip unnoticed through the crowd. Strong fingers grasped his belt, however, and Seka's fine alto rang out clearly, "And just where do you think YOU'RE going?"

A hard yank pulled him around, and even a sailor's grace during rough seas could not fully save him as he fetched up against her belly. The child within kicked in protest as she took hold of his shirt ties and pulled him closer. "You returned my brothers to me. This is the least I can do," she said with an evil twinkle in her dark eyes and pressed her lips against his.

It was hard for him to think clearly for a few moments, because Seka had full, warm lips, and was an experienced kisser. Additionally, it was not the first time he had been seized and kissed so forcefully by a petite, spirited, auburn haired woman. The unbidden association, as he managed to pull away, stung. Instead of Elaira, the features before him, while elfin in form, were those of a stranger. Her fingers tightened their grip on his laces as her husband called out in mock outrage, "What's this? Sir, are you trying to seduce my wife?"

Before Arithon could draw breath to reply, Seka turned her head, a few locks of unruly auburn hair flicking across his cheek, and retorted, "Oh, aye, Alione, he's been whispering to me for DAYS about how much he likes BLOATED women, and that the next time your back is turned, he's going to drag me off belowdecks to ravish me!"

Arithon turned slightly pink, which was completely unnoticed by anyone but Dakar, whose lips had disappeared. The Mad Prophet risked a snort, though Arithon's brilliant green eyes were fierce with the promise of the infamous s'Ffalenn temper. The King of Ivanalle did a comic doubletake, his lower jaw almost touching his chest. "But - I - I," he stammered.

"Oh, really!" she snarled, hooking her fingers into Arithon's belt and pulling him closer. Dakar had both hands to his mouth, and was turning an alarming shade of purple, sniggering. "Even if either of us WERE so inclined, considering the shape I'm in, thanks to YOU, unless he is hiding a spectacular bowsprit beneath those breeks, I doubt he'd get close enough to me to have ANY kind of fun!"

Arithon's cheeks turned a brilliant crimson at the next sally, which came from Ayleea, the Captain of Boarders. "Hey, Princess Seka, I'll be happy to measure his bowsprit for you! Your sister Mayhem says that green eyed men are better between the sheets, and I want to put THAT to the test!"

Even the male crew joined in the laughter, though the Kheteinn's crew were trying very hard to conceal their reactions from their Captain. Whenever Arithon's regard touched on them, they hurriedly changed their guffaws to coughing fits.

Finally, ruefully, Arithon caught Seka's attention, and by mutual consent, he managed to pry her grip from his belt and laces. His expression was that of the victim of a well planned prank as he released her left hand, and raised her right to his lips.

"Remind me, Your Grace of Vensharr and Ivanalle, to remain on friendly terms with you," he said with a half smile. "You have a tongue like a razor."

Seka inclined her head, but she could not resist the final word. "And you, Your Grace of Rathain, have sweet lips, but you need practice. You kiss like a little boy!"

With that, he released her hand, and she strode off as grandly as her condition would allow. Alione glared at her, but she looked up at him, with a wicked grin, and he sighed, overcome. It was too much for Dakar, however, as his hands gave way and he started braying with laughter.

By Trys on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:48 am: Edit Post

The images now have title's beneath them and the bottom picture is entitled, "Overlook at Etarra".

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit Post

Blue -- ummm, you did not dream Arithon in character, one bit. (sorry, with wry laughter!)

When you read Traitor's Knot, you will see why. (most evil grin, yet)

As though you and the rest aren't already fidgety enough...

Now, back to the short story, which I thought was progressing nicely, until the Muse had ideas in the night, and flipped the blasted idea on its head...now I have a really Fun prospect ahead, though it means (maybe) jettisoning the entire beginning, and slanting it from another pov - or reworking EVERYTHING....short stories, so much like constipation. You just have to wait them out, and they are so much harder than novels, word for word.

But ah, when they get rolling, the finish is SO satisfying for not taking years in the making.

By Dorothy on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit Post

Janny, your paintngs are amazing. I wish it was possible to see them "in the flesh" as it were.
Is the bisected object a dagger of some sort?
Also the rider looks to have blonde hair, or is this just my computer? Or is it Lysaer returning after his failure to destroy Arithon at Kewar tunnel? And have I asked too many questions?(grin)

hopefully Dorothy

By Konran on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit Post

*snigger* Arithon? Blushing? >:-) Unfortunately I don't know if I dreamt him in character or not because that's all I remember is the image. But somehow I don't see him as the type to get easily embarrassed... especially by a girl... at least not that he'd show.

By Hunter on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:28 am: Edit Post

Etarra!!! :-)

Just re-reading GC where Arithon has re-entered Jaelot to redress the situation with Fionn Areth.

Redress in Etarra? Arithon with his control of the Curse deliberately inflaming Lysaer!! :-)

By skeoke on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:38 pm: Edit Post

But if he has control of the Curse, he would not inflame Lysaer.

What would drive Arithon into a city controlled by the cabal? Something dire, no doubt.

Fionn - no, Arithon won't rescue him again.
Lysaer - more likely to drive him away.
Jeynsa - ah, yeah, that'd work.
Elaira - quite possibly.
Morriel - I'd like to see how.

Or, perhaps, some of this rogue Sight he's developed...

By Stefan Urlus on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit Post

The pictures are excellent Janny - thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see Davien .... both in a picture and more of him in the next book!!!

By Hunter on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 07:58 am: Edit Post

What are seeing is an object, bisected by the "stone rim" which will frame the view of a circular segment of the sunrise landscape.

Given we now know that the town Arithon is riding towards (the sunrise landscape) is Etarra, one might assume that the "stone rim" referred to above is the stone walls around Etarra that are mentioned when Traithe(I think!) visits the s'Brydions at Alestron and they've purloined copies of Lysaer's plans to fortify Etarra using ancient knowledge of stone masons.

Of course this raises some more questions!!! Like:
i) How long do the Etarrans need to build the walls..
ii) How long is Arithon likely to spend with Davien training, reading, recovering, planning, conniving?? I wonder if Davien has a lyranthe for Arithon to amuse himself with?

Will ii be long than i?

By Blue on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit Post

Maybe REI should get Janny to paint for their ad campaigns. I shudder to think of the blisters you could get hiking across the wilds of Athera. I am willing to bet, however, that Atheran horses are probably a lot more nimble than their earthly counterparts, judging by the landscape.

P.S. Janny, no offense taken. Glad you enjoyed the laugh. I figured he was out of character, and I think the dream scape was somewhere between WoV and FP, well before the events of PG. Speaking of laughs, did you get the schedule for the bus into Riverton? Yes, folks, I actually found a Metro bus schedule with a stop marked in Riverton.

By Wendy Collett on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 02:55 am: Edit Post

What wonderful artwork Janny!

Here I was trying to be very quiet and look like I was studying for an exam, when you (once again) create a fevour and flurry of excitement!!!

What are seeing is an object, bisected by the "stone rim" which will frame the view of a circular segment of the sunrise landscape.

Hmm, yes, well I think it is probably Arithon and Davien as the eagle, but I think the more interesting angle is 'who is doing the looking', and through what? It's not the round window on Play School, is it now? :~

According to Janny's words, the item itself is bisected, or cut in 2, which indicates there is more to the item that is seen now (the bit on the inside of the rim is missing).

The item has beads and rawhide - which sort of puts me in mind of the clans, but not 100% sure on this. The item has a leath-wrapped handle, it is obviously meant to be held, and the beads and rawhide dangle 'down' from the handle (ties or decoration, or both?). Spike on the top looks quite sharp. Chipped around the rim - old, used.

Item - a mirror, a weapon, an archane piece of sailing equipment, a scry-mirror, a holder for a... .

Used by - clan seer, or Ath's brotherhood, or Lirenda (but not the K women). Sorry, it looks more of a feminine piece that a masculine tool (or maybe just imagining it).

Blue - thought your dream story was hillarious, if out of character, but loved it anyway.

Oh, roll on end of year. Gee I sort of envy all you people who can go out and buy hardbacks, I can't fit them on the shelves! But I can always borrow from the local library till the paperback gets here! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

I guess my wording was misleading - the stone rim is the decorative border that will 'frame' the circular segment of the landscape image. You can see how, since I painted the icon images for Ships and Warhost's rerelease with the same stone border.

Sometimes I left it to the UK Art dept and photoshop to "assemble" - sometimes not. It was a whim, which way I made it happen. The reason I painted Alithiel, entire, was that I couldn't bear not to....somehow obscuring it with a graphic design doohickie laid my hair entirely the wrong way.

Traitor's Knot will show why. (grin)

By Hunter on Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit Post

I'm allowed to misinterpret things.. :-)

I see what you mean about the "frame" on the UK re-releases and how this would look.

The fun I was having trying to tie the rim in with the Etarran walls.. oh well.

By Hunter on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:03 am: Edit Post

Now I'm wondering where Arithon got the horse from!! Details, details! After all, he didn't take it with him into Kewar and Davien has no use for a horse..

By skeoke on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit Post

Does Davien confine himself solely to the form of an eagle?

Wouldn't that make a stew of things!

By Hunter on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit Post

Is your question whether Davien would appear as an animal or object other than an eagle? Or whether Davien could be the horse as well?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit Post

Oh, here is one happy dancing author - I just got to see the 'preview' of the design for the UK Traitor's Knot -- in the new style. It's a WOW!!

Once they've got the volume numbers worked out (Light and Shadows and Alliance type settled) I'll have a final to post here, I can hope.

Page proofs are here also. Review that text one last time...

Last stage of production - those - and that means the graphic line art for the interiors is due also.

Wrap that, and the US cover, and the desk is cleared to - yup - dig back into Stormed Fortress.

By Blue on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit Post

Interviewer: Ms. Wurts, now that you have almost finished the latest in your Wars of Light and Shadow saga, what are your plans for the future?
Janny: I'm going to Disneyland!

By skeoke on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit Post

Hunter -

Yup.

I like to play on the edges of reality. ~ The view is much better.

By Konran on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit Post

I was thinking the other day, and I came up with an almost-theory about how Davien could have a physical body (or so we presume... knowing Janny, one never knows *grin*). What if theoretically someone was dying for whatever reason and let Davien's spirit take over the body? Then his spirit's Name should technically reshape the body to a replica of his own original... or hell, he's a Fellowship Sorcerer, he could just make it look that way. It wouldn't be against the LotMB if it was willing, right? *shrug* It's probably way far out there, but my brain comes up with all sorts of strange things. Plus I have no idea how he'd manage to get in there and take over in the first place. ^^;;

Also, a question out of curiosity... does anyone know/remember what part Arithon happens to sing? I always imagine him as a lovely light tenor. :-) *rereading Ships of Merior*

By Hunter on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 08:32 am: Edit Post

Skeoke - the concept of Davien splitting himself has juicy prospects, however I would think it's basically Arithon getting a horse from the local clans..

The coming and goings of Ath's Adepts in Peril's Gate shows that it's possible to go from spirit to physical reality and back again. The "how" is the interesting question. We have Davien as well as Luhaine and Kharadmon as shades, so the process of discorporation works, even Jieret was basically able to separate spirit from body.

Davien has had five centuries of musing the possibilites of magecraft and the prime vibration. When Asandir tries to transfer into Jaelot to free Fionn Areth, he does so by upshifting vibration to make himself pure energy. One could assume that Davien, as pure spirit, has worked out how to downshift such vibration back into a physical form.

By Blue on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit Post

Konran, Janny has said in the past that Arithon's vocals can be handled by the member of the Moody Blues who sings lead in the song, "Tuesday Afternoon," whose name escapes me completely at this moment. Minus the nasal aspects of his singing. This is on the album "Days of futures past".

Though I am by no means a musician, I believe this singer, and through extension, Arithon, is a tenor. Whenever I listen to the album, I get a grin imagining poor Arithon being shanghaied to sing with a head cold, to account for the nasal tones.

By Trys on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:35 am: Edit Post

Justin Hayward would be the Moody.

By Blue on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

Thank you, Trys! I was just too blamed lazy to get the CD and look it up myself!

By skeoke on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit Post

Hunter ~

Just playing.

Can you imagine Davien submitting to sadle and bridle?!

I have fun in my own head. It's probably a good thing I'm the only one who lives there. :D

By Hunter on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit Post

Hmmm, whom are you and I to fathom the mind of Davien? Even his Fellowship colleagues don't want to enter that territory!! :-)

By Andrew Ginever on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:02 pm: Edit Post

Hunter

So that would make Davien both the eagle and the horse?

It's almost a shame that Sethvir's the only sorcerer who could split his mind. As if Arithon/Fionn Areth aren't enough, I can feel Kharadmon's shade turning in his grave at the very thought of TWO Davien's. :-)
Andrew

By Hunter on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 06:45 am: Edit Post

Yes.. Davien as eagle and horse. It's interesting, in PG when he meets Arithon with the two clan scouts as Arithon invokes his ties to Rathain to divert the noon solstice lane flux, Davien speaks to the clan scouts as claims the eagle as "his".. Not "him" as in Davien but the eagle "belongs" to Davien.

And I think Luhaine would turn twice as fast as Kharadmon!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit Post

Interior black and white graphics - DONE!

(Whack, another deadline falls by the wayside).

On to the UK page proofs, though I'll work them in increments, during the evenings.

Time to drag down the masonite (already prepared) from the upstairs closet, and begin sketching for US cover art.

Meantime: I've got the drafted first chapters for Stormed Fortress out....taking a distant squint at them. Seeing how to touch them up into an opening of a new volume.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit Post

Progress report - US cover.

Arithon's figure - worked out.

Davien's figure - worked out.

NOW - starting into design of the background...

(Wurts internal dialogue on THIS - are there enough erasers in the whole damned studio for this job....broom nearby for shavings -- lots of pencil muddling to do - (picture heaps of tracing paper, flying in the ceiling fans, which are ON at this season)...major math in the perspective department, damn... can't freewheel on that....*&%# Davien's design, in the matter of architecture...wry laughter....accusatory finger pointing at self....well, YOU made it happen in words....now, just Try to map this Sorcerer's genius on paper....! erp. I can picture it, yeees, but the perspective....mumph, the perspective's gonna be a right blistering BITCH....(remember that stairway on GC??? Thought you'd learned your lesson ONCE through, sucker!!!) uhhhhh - hmmmmm- Another scene, maybe??? (artist gets up to pace floor in thinking funk....presently wanders back to drafting board....Magic!!! Stole my seat again, cat? ....How come the little furry whatsits only DO this when I have to SIT there? I SWEAR she lurks in ambush, with a bead on that chair for when I get up...)

Ah, well - 3 more chapters and glossaries to review in the page proofs dept....I can always beat a retreat and DO that, first...

Typical artist's Saturday, one foot on Earth, one foot in Athera.

By Hunter on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit Post

Harper Collins Australia has Curse of the Mistwraith listed with the new cover showing!!

http://www.harpercollins.com.au/title.cfm?ISBN=0586210695&Author=0000284&txtSear ch=janny%20wurts&SearchBy=Author

By Stefan Urlus on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit Post

Good old Australia eh??

By Hunter on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit Post

It's hard to be humble..

By Katherine on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:26 am: Edit Post

Nice picture, but what have they done to that first sentence of the summary?

Phhtpt.

By George on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit Post

Pretty Groovy picture!

Bad syntax for the first line... "World's"?

Now if only Angus and Robertson would get off their ass and get Fantasy Masters here! I'm getting grey just waiting for it to arrive!

By Trys on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

You have all visited the webpage and seen the covers of the three re-issues, right? I mean... you didn't have to wait for a HarperCollins webpage to display them. :-)

By Hunter on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit Post

Indeed, the intent to say HC Aust had it was to show the publisher now was showing the new covers, not to say they were new..

By phil on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit Post

The combined version of Traitors Knot UK Cover seems to have appeared on Voyagers Website

click here