Help!! Excerpt needed

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Help!! Excerpt needed

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 10:00 am: Edit Post

Wow - that sure was a complete take....I'll dive into the pages to pinpoint those scenes and see. The intense care and work is well appreciated, on all your parts!

Beth - I suggest you order the book direct, or get your local B&N to get it in for you. The distribution is better than it was, but it's still getting "up to speed" - a bit of a push may be necessary to get that title to your local shop. In any event, your patience and persistence is appreciated!

By michael hammer on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 07:17 am: Edit Post

perhaps for the overall series the scene where the fisherman pushes Asandir into explaining the balance of every. of why they shouldn't interferr.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:34 am: Edit Post

I've typed in some of the excerpts mentioned, am mulling them. I've also added the one beginning on page 372 US hardbound, Grand Conspiracy, starting either with "who is he, this boy?" or starting at "You can't do this," Dakar insisted. and ending with "There aren't many factions who wouldn't choose mayhem, or consort with Sithaer itself to see you dead."

The moment is the one where Dakar tries to argue Arithon out of rescuing Fionn Areth - if you look at this scene (its the ending of the subchapter Fulcrum, a subchapter of X. Chain of Destiny if you're trying to locate it in another edition) - it does show how a snippet glimpse of the curse's effects on Both brothers.

I'd favor putting this snip with another of Lysaer - maybe one of the former mentions....it's a little long in combination, though.

Morriel's "reading" of Elaira's take on the two brother's characters, in Mistwraith, encapsulates nicely but it's all exposition, not a lotta life or action.

Still rattling - anybody have suggestions based on the above??

By Hunter on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 10:50 am: Edit Post

From Traitor's Knot the scene I would pick would be when Arithon is trying out his mage skills and Davien materializes behind him as Lysaer - Arithon's reaction is priceless as is Davien's comments. Lysaer kind of makes an appearance.

For the whole of the series? Hmm.. that's a tough one. Perhaps Dakar's reel of prescience in FP when he sees Arithon about to be gored by the unicorn, the blood running at the sunwheel place (presumably Avenor) and Arithon playing his lyranthe..

The other scene is also from FP - when Lysaer is summoned to Althain. His views of the Paravian statues on the way in, his case of demanding Arithon in chains and his rebuke by the Ath's Adepts, then his views of the statues as mere stone on his way out. Probably needs to be condensed but it's at least a scene that doesn't have Arithon as the key player! And it kind of sums up Lysaer's current views of the series..

<Ooops, sorry, edited this by mistake>

(Message edited by admin on August 29, 2005)

By hosanna on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 09:23 pm: Edit Post

When I re-read Ships of Merrior I was blown away by the part where Asandir speaks to the s'Brydion brothers about the history of the Fellowship, the Paravians and mankind coming as refugees etc and why not to develop technologically. I think it represents the whole series extremely well - possibly even parts of the series yet to come I hope !!!

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 01:38 am: Edit Post

This is a difficult ask Janny!

To be honest I can't think of a scene that I could recommend... I have so manyfavs, and they are all powerful but only when taken in context of the greater whole.

When is your deadline for this task?

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 09:52 am: Edit Post

I'm trying to have the handouts ready for Dragon con, so, quick!!! But - the quotation can always be changed, so no reason these flyers can't be improved upon.

All these suggestions are good ones !

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:05 am: Edit Post

Hmmmm, okay.

This is going to be abit of a cop-out for me but i really can't think of a single scene for you Janny.

What I would suggest (from a booksellers POV) is that the scene from larger work needs to 'flashy' with instant/Hollywood-like special fx in it.

For one I would recommend you focus on Lysaer and his crusade against the spinner of darkness.

The other scene focus on Arithon and show/demonstrate that his nature isn't what Lysaer believes.

Hope this helps, and my apologies that I can't be more specific.

By hosanna on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 08:53 pm: Edit Post

I just remembered another scene that had a huge impact when rereading Warhost of Vastmark as I had not remembered it specifically from the first read.
it is near the end when Asandir comes to Lysaer's war camp. It could represent the series as a whole b/c Lysaer is defying the fellowship, it shows some of the allegations against Arithon, mentions the Curse and the necessity of permission for magic and also I was impressed by the camp follower respecting Asandir.
I have a voyager paperback. maybe from p 501 start the sentence with Asandir instead of He where it goes "He patted the boy's shoulder before he mounted" then you could finish up on p 502 "Lysaer damped back a sullen flare of resentment". that is just slightly over one complete page of text that I think would do the job really well! Probably too late for your purpose but I am excited to find a one page that wouldn't be made up of snippets.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: