Nonplussed about nonplussed

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Nonplussed about nonplussed

By Sean Monahan on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 07:53 am: Edit Post

As mental images go, it is more accurate to think of English as a pirate than as a mugger, both in terms of acquisition of new words, as well as actualy historical fact.

By Hannah on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 04:09 pm: Edit Post

Sean,

Also the wooden leg. ;)

By Kath on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:20 am: Edit Post

Blue - the quote you just gave was coined by James Nicoll, a prolific poster on the rec.arts.sf.written newsgroup, way back in the nineties.

It seems to be quoted ever more frequently, but rarely with any attribution, let alone the correct one.

By Róisín on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 05:52 am: Edit Post

English should really be called celtic-romanic-anglo-saxon-franc-ish. (And that's just pre-Empire)

By Blue on Monday, September 19, 2005 - 06:25 am: Edit Post

Kath, I've never seen any kind of credit given to that quote. I'll have to remember that!

By Cheryl Detmer on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:37 am: Edit Post

Janny uses the word asperity some so I had to look it up. You taught me a new word Janny. My dad didn't even know of that one and he's a walking dictionary. I'll have to figure out how to put it in a sentence now. lol

By Andy on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:26 am: Edit Post

This is one of those time where being bilingual pays off. Aspero = rough in Spanish.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: