Archive through June 29, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Update: Archive through June 29, 2005
   By Lady Kelryn on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:44 am: Edit Post

Its at B & N. You just have to order it to get it on the shelf, or at least I did.

- Kel

By jeff c on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 04:49 pm: Edit Post

you can also go to bordersstores.com/search to see if its in a borders near you. Not sure if that is well known..I stumbled across that site about a year ago somehow.

Says there is one here in brentwood, TN..think i need to make a trip there tonight :-)

By annettevk on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:38 pm: Edit Post

It's at the borders in Santa Monica!!!!!! I was just browsing the new book shelves and my eye was caught by a flash of brown way down at the bottom of the shelf and I bent down to look and lo and behold there it was. I gasped so loud I scared the crap out of my mom (who was with me visiting at the time). She came running over asking me what was wrong and I practically screamed "it's here!!!!" Then everyone in the store was looking at me. Very embarassing. And this is after I have already read the book, go figure. But that was the UK version so of course I HAD TO get the american version because it's Janny. I am sure that you all understand where I am coming from. So there is an update about Southern California for anyone else out in this area.

By annettevk on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:45 pm: Edit Post

P.S. I know that it is extravagant to buy two copies of the same book but like I told my dad (who was also visiting at the time) books are like food to me, I can't live without either one. There was a quote I heard one time, I don't know who the author is, and I don't know if I can get it exactly right so to paraphrase "I buy books and if there is any money left over then I buy things like food and clothes." Food is good for the body but books are good for the soul.

By Iris Timm on Monday, June 27, 2005 - 07:13 pm: Edit Post

Hey annattevk - I know exactly how you feel! I have traveled a lot for my job and unlike everyone else, I love the down time when planes get delayed and all...It just means I have some extra reading time! my colleagues think I am a paragon of patience...good thing they didn't see me raving while I waited the week when my copy of TK was enroute from MM! I was practically unconsolable...should have bought the UK one and been done with it months ago! Oh well.
On that note, do you find there to be a huge difference in the UK vs US version?

By Auna on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:39 pm: Edit Post

Aside from the artwork, I haven't really noticed any difference between the two versions. There are probably words with the UK spellings, but I don't pay attention to those. I will gladly sacrifice spellings and phrases to get the meat of the story read because waiting any longer was too agonizing!

I had a friend visiting from NZ who brought me a book by another author (I pleaded, begged, etc) and it had the UK spellings and only one turn of phrase that was distinctly non-US. It was very readable, and I wound up enjoying the typeset format of it better than the US book when I finally got it.

That was my first UK book ever, Janny's is my second. So, based on those two, I'd say don't be afraid to get the UK version if you cannot wait.

By jane isham on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:25 pm: Edit Post

Wow – what a ride! I love this series. I consumed the book last weekend and now I’m working on re-reading, absorbing and scrutinizing the detail. I tried so hard at first to read slowly and savor the book. But once I got going, I couldn’t help myself. I felt sort of guilty when I finished that after all Janny’s hard work, I read through it so quickly!

By the way, please support Janny by posting a review on Amazon. I did a check and unfortunately the latest review was obviously a “non-fan”. With so many folks chiming in about how much they loved the book, its worth taking a few minutes to give the discerning reader some insight. A few multi-syllable words and lengthy sentences didn’t frighten you off, did it? :-)

Yes, I did post a review and thanks to me trying to quickly do this at work after I was annoyed by the latest review, I must have scrolled with my mouse scroll wheel which changed my rating from 5 stars to 3. Plus after you post, you cannot edit :-(

By Auna on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:09 pm: Edit Post

I was holding off on a review until I finished reading it again. Now that I've read it, I shall do so. Thanks for the reminder :-)

By Auna on Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:22 pm: Edit Post

Ouch, just read that review. I happened to love that line using 'dropped meat'. The imagery of a slab o meat decked out on the floor was perfect.

There was someone (maybe the same person?) who didn't like some of the artful word choices used to describe a certain scene in TRHC. While I actually think this is one of the strengths of reading Janny vs someone else, I can see where others may not feel the same way about the non traditional usages.

By fhcbandmom on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 07:32 pm: Edit Post

Just got the book (actually, the US version - I bought on Amazon UK a long time ago, I have NO patience!) I'm looking forward to the US version- hoping to find out exactly what direction "widdershins" is??!! :-)

Janny - a terrific story! Thank you!