Archive through September 28, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Koriani Tools: Archive through September 28, 2005
   By Róisín on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:06 am: Edit Post

In my latest reread it struck me just how ruthless Morriel is, and how well she exploited Lirenda's character flaw of not knowing her own heart, paving the way for Lirenda to become another one of Morriel's 'flawed' tools, like Elaira.

It seems that Lirenda's never going to get over herself - even if she's ever released from imprisonment (imagine if it was Arithon/Elaira doing it!)

Somehow I feel that Lysaer WOULD find a way out of his hatred, given the freedom from the curse. But Lirenda...? Intellectually, I hope she finds a way out of it, but I FEEL that she'll still wish vengeance on Arithon, blaming him, rather than looking at herself.

It's going to be fascinating to see what else Morriel cooks up, using people's 'foibles'. And fascinating to see how Elaira uses being used to thwart Morriel's plans.

By Susan C on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 05:10 pm: Edit Post

I don't know that Lysaer would find a way out of his hatred given freedom from the curse. Lysaer was very willing to hate Arithon when they first were exiled into the Red Desert. I think he chooses to hate Arithon rather than face the truth about his father's hatred and his own poor choices. I know he did attempt to get to know Arithon before the curse, but I don't think he would be willing to accept the responsibility for any of his actions if the curse were removed. He needs to justify his actions and we have learned the curse can be controlled somewhat by conscious choice. Arithon learned how in the Kewar Tunnel when he had to accept responsibility for his own actions. He had to face the truth about his choices. I don't think Lysaer can do that if the curse were removed. That is his character flaw.