Archive through November 04, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Koriani Protection from the Kralovir: Archive through November 04, 2005
   By George on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:37 pm: Edit Post

Janny, this is a direct question regarding the ability of the Koriani to protect against necromantic workings.

In the scene between Enithen Tuer and Sulfin, she states that the Koriani will not treat with the forces which Lysear is jeopardy of. Therefore, Sulfin must request (in a round about way) for F7 intervention.

However, when Sulfin returns home, he is met by a Koriani seeress (with her entourage) in his father's hall. The Koriani are willing to extend their help to Lysear on conditions. Therefore, it would seem that the Koriani have the means to combat the necromancers.

My question is this...Is the ability of the Koriani to defeat necromantic workings premised on the basis that the person seeking Koriani help must surrender their Name in quartz to the Koriathain, and therefore, since their name and consent is sealed, this stops the necromancers being able to usurp the persons Name?

Just a small question! :-)

Cheers
George

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 09:07 am: Edit Post

George: you asked.

Spoilers, be warned.

The answer is two fold (or what I can reveal without bearing on future story line).

When Enithen Tuer said "not treat with" she meant, not associate, bargain, or offer direct interference against. Lysaer at the time was under the direct influence of an active binding.

When Lysaer approached the Koriathain in Hanshire, he was a freed agent asking protection.

Protection they could provide.

Active intercession, they would refuse.

And later, you will know why. grin.

By Arend on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:12 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

Maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but what exactly defines necromancy? Would the imprinting of a mind into a crystal matrix be part of that, especially if the person involved dies? Would the, uhm, creation of Selidie Prime fit that definition?

Thanks! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:23 am: Edit Post

Arend: you Asked, and a rather unpleasant subject it is, too....

Necromancy on Athera is the enslavement and "theft" of another being's life essence for the purpose of prolonging another being's phyisical existence...

Morriel's possession of Selidie would be a "marginal" case. She has borrowed and usurped the body, but the definitive point to be asked is: did she leave Selidie's spirit "intact" in the process? If the essence of the spirit was torn, then it's necromancy. If not, if she's held passively captive, then it's an enslaving imprisonment.

Necromancy is more than an imprisonment, it is vampirism of the life essence rightfully another's, by birth.

By Arend on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:02 pm: Edit Post

Thank you, Janny, for clarifying!

By Cheryl Detmer on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:27 am: Edit Post

I was wondering also how that necromancy worked. Thanks Janny. That helps me to understand it better. That is a grim subject.

By Róisín on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 07:07 am: Edit Post

The necromancers to me, seem like addicts who get their nightly fix of human essence - and like any addiction, it just takes over the person, who becomes enslaved to it.

Just not sure how the 'victim' is able to resist it - after all one can say 'no' to drugs - but this is different.

My penny's worth...

By Trys on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:06 pm: Edit Post

I think resistance is achieve by not putting one's self in a position of giving one of them or their 'acolytes' permission to begin the process. I'm pretty sure Lysaer granted permission... who remembers when and where?

By Blue on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

Lysaer's seeming permission came about in PG - what specific place in time that happened is not mentioned. At Narms, in the mayor's palace, as he was coming in for a landing, the mayor watched the blood ritual Jeryiash [sp?] was performing, and saw that this was not the first time. I seem to remember also that the first time Sulfin Evend witnessed this event, he observed the same thing, and was quite repulsed, even through Lysaer's assurances that this was necessary to catch the Spinner of Darkness.

By Trys on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:17 pm: Edit Post

Blue,

Yes, it was the first bloodletting that let in the 'taint'. So to avoid get snagged by the necromancer's one must be vigilent and not grant permission to do things that are, hmmm, problematic.

Trys