Archive through December 01, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Arithon's age: Archive through December 01, 2005
   By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:48 am: Edit Post

I've been wondering about what will happen after the 500 years is over. Will Arithon age normally or instantly age? Assuming he survives the curse and everything else. I've just been curious what will happen. Maybe only Janny knows. How old is he now in normal years? grin

By winter on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:53 am: Edit Post

Also, is it 500 years of life from birth to death, or 500 years from the moment they drank from the fountain?

By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 10:21 am: Edit Post

I think from moment they drank from the fountain but that's the way I interpret it. Maybe Janny can tell us that. I've wondered that too. I just wonder if he'll die instantly when that 500 years is up or how it will work.

By Ellydee on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 01:31 am: Edit Post

I think there was a picture posted on the main page - Exile's Return? - that showed an obviously older Arithon, as was said in a few other posts. I guess that my feeling is that Arithon ages very slowly, proportional to his longer lifespan. Maybe I just misunderstood, but I think he physically ages a couple years during the last few decades. At any rate, I didn't see him looking 18 throughout. :-) Maybe because he was already so old on the inside!

By neil on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:01 am: Edit Post

Is Arithon returning through a world's end gate? To / from Athera (assuming all gates go off world)? If so which one, I wonder?

Is there any reason to keep the west gate directionnaly sealed now?

If you were obliged to live 500 years would you ever try to stop the geas? 500 years has to drag a little....but there is mention of decades of playing in a vision :-)

By Hunter on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

Exile's Return - which is also one of the main graphics of this site - shows Arithon in full Royal clothing, including Alithiel and his signet ring (which is still with Jinesse).

The royal heirs were exiled through West Gate after the rebellion, Exile's Return would be the formal return of Arithon as High King of Rathain from his current position of exile throughout Athera, not via a World's End Gate.

I would think the World's End gates will remain directionally sealed until the Mistwraith, including the bits left on Marak, are fully resolved. Otherwise if the Mistwraith escapes, it could use those gates to invade and conquer other worlds.. such as the Red Desert and through to Dascen Elur.

By Cheryl Detmer on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:08 pm: Edit Post

I think he's not suppose to have aged any. I'm not certain though but I got that he hasn't aged at all since the fountain. Boy wouldn't that drag, 500 years? Arithon isn't bored though I don't think. He's constantly running for his life. Doesn't even have much time to make love. Poor guy.

By Róisín on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:18 am: Edit Post

I wonder if his growth in powers would eventually lead him to have the ability to untangle himself from the longevity spell.
Would he then resume normal ageing? Or would he, like the Koriani sister, just crumble to dust?
I don't see why Elaira can't eventually come to master the Skyron and Waystone crystals as Arithon did his geas, the iyats etc.. etc..

By Hunter on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:05 am: Edit Post

Arithon has now spent a lot of time with Davien.. I'm wondering if the issue of the longevity spell has come up? Given Arithon's initiate mage training, if Dakar can master the longevity spells, surely Arithon could transmute the artificial 500 year limit Davien put in place into effectively an infinite life span? Verrain is around 700 years so it's possible.

The wider question is whether Arithon would want to live longer.. we know Elaira has a similar lifespan now.. and I think Arithon would want to live sufficiently long to redeem Lysaer and/or ensure the survival of the clans/Paravians.

By neil on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:08 am: Edit Post

Good point. Would/could Arithon or Elaira develop into adepts who seem to defy time/space. I suspect not...they seem to want a "normal life" more than anything else.

Arithon is still key to paravian survival / ciladis return / davien's restoral to the team just because Arithon embraces kingship ;-)

Why a black rose. Why "wild"?

"Single": Simplicity, Gratitude

"Many say 'black' represents death and can thus be used as a symbol to express vengeance towards a foe. But others interpret that more liberally, suggesting as a meaning for black roses the death of old habits, thus signalling a rebirth. "

Just because he embraces kingship does not mean he will live to become king

"Davien the Betrayer shall hear no reason, nor bow to the Law of the Major Balance; neither shall the Fellowship be restored to Seven until
the Black Rose grows wild in the vales of Daon Ramon. The briar will take root on the day that Arithon s'Ffalenn embraces kingship."

The Fellowship will continue with / without humanity...one hopes that it's "with" and includes paravian survival ensured by mankind

BTW Why can't paravian's ensure their own survival? Odd...they seem so omnipotent with respect to paravia (they never bothered to go to kathkairr (spelling wrong I know!)...I guess they cannot be all-seeing/knowing or have some fundamental achilles heel...

I worry that Arithon may still sacrifice imself to remove Lysaer and redeem the masses...if he is sure of the outcome, I suspect that he would be willing (but then this for me doesn't fit yet with the TK Arithon that we're seeing...he's looking after his friends for the moment; and risking the fate of humanity is something he feels is his right in the face of fellowship internvention).

I'm rambling but the "war" ain't over yet...

Apologies for driftng too far from Arithons age ;-)

This is my favourite story by the way ;-)