Davien and grimwards..

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Spoiler Topics: Davien and grimwards..

By Róisín on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 08:36 am: Edit Post

In my last post, I said that the Paravians came to heal the grimwards. I was wrong.

***Ships of Merrior Spoiler***
As I was wandering through the pages of Ships of Merrior (SoM) I came across a section that described in more detail, the Drakes, seardluin, and related aberrations, how the Paravians came about, and the F7 selected as guardians.

Paravians emerged as the Creator's response to the mistake made by the drakes, that created Seardluin, Khadrim, and other drakespawn.

Paravians warred against the drakespawn but nearly perished doing so.

The Drakes then roped the F7 into ensuring Paravian survival. Together with the Paravians, they almost totally rid Paravia of the drakespawn problem. (But then humans arrived...)

That passage of SoM also says that the Drakes didn't do anything evil, they just made a HUGE mistake, arrogantly playing around with destructive forces and not being careful.

In fact, they were aghast at what they had caused.

So... I'm back to trying to figure out the demm'd grimwards. :-)

By Hunter on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 08:59 am: Edit Post

Skeoke.. there was a great description of lane transfer by Asandir when he tried to transfer into Jaelot to rescue Fionn Areth.. whether Fionn Areth actually requested rescue so that Asandir had to honour LotMB is probably another issue.. and would Asandir have plucked Arithon and Elaira @ the same time?.. hmm..

Anyways.. Asandir and the Fellowship use the Paravian focus circles to upstep their vibrations into pure energy.. Arithon did something similar by accessing the Sanpashir focus circle using music..

Aths' Adepts do projection, but presumably from their sacred groves at the Hostels so they effectively use the latent power of prime vibration to source their power for this..

Davien has his sealed chamber in Kewar, would that not be his "sacred grove" as his source of power to walk the paths beyond/through the veil?

Roisin - we know Ecracken died following a drake fight.. but the hows and whys of the deaths of the other drakes is rather a mystery. Paravians are semi-mortal, presumably the drakes were immortal? Big presumption since we've not yet met a drake..

Paravians created the grimwards.. given the wild magic inherent in them, it gives an indication of the power of Paravian wards that it can contain the drake power.. but it does raise the question of whether the drake dreams grew in power over time so the Paravians had time to subdue the drake dreams before they got too strong.. otherwise the first dead drake would have meant Athera being sucked out of existence unless a live drake was able to re-knit the fabric of the world..

By Róisín on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 09:24 am: Edit Post

Hunter - thanks for that further clarification.

Seems like the drakes dreams would gobble up Athera for a source of power because of a (very complex) looping 'bug' in the magical 'programming'... which is what the wild magic in the grimwards seems to be.

There must be someway to undo that bug. Enter Arithon..? hmmm...

By Róisín on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 09:26 am: Edit Post

Or.. enter Kevor? (The 'saviour'...)

By Technetus on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 01:04 pm: Edit Post

Hunter: I forget exactly where it is in TK (perhaps Davien's visit to Althain?) but it's implied that he's using drake magic.

(Later, when Kharadmon disrupts Arithon and Elaira, he definitely uses drake magic. Years back -- somewhere between GC and PG -- I asked Janny for a "hierarchy" of magic types on Athera, but now I can't find her reply... :-( )

By skeoke on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

Hunter -

Thanks. Lane transfers I get (well, not completely.) There was a different sort of transfer during the aborted coronation in CotM. I'll have to go back and re-read. And Kevor's transfer certainly wasn't as simple as a lane transfer. I don't think the Khadrim was polite enough to torch him in the middle of a forgotten focus circle at sunrise/sunset/noon/midnight.

Okay. Lots of reasons for re-reading. Good. I was looking for a reason to go back.

By Marcel on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

I think Davien is the Rave (was it a Rave) from the one Wizzard (Was is Asandir?) !

By Jason Bryant on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 04:02 am: Edit Post

Normally lurk anymore, but hey-

Regarding the Grimwards-

I always thought they were the haunts of drakes who refused to give up "true dreaming", and to some extent, since they don't seem to fully exist in time, retain that power. Or maybe of drakes who refuse to admit they died? Either way, the other drakes chose not to take that path.

Plus, several times it's implied there may still be some great drakes still alive.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: