Archive through August 30, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Sneak peek: Archive through August 30, 2004
   By Trys on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 06:56 am: Edit Post

I've just uploaded an image of the line drawing for the cover of the American edition of Traitor's Knot. Apologies for the copyrighted material watermark, but have to protect the unpublished work. It can be found on the webpage under Art Gallery: Cover Art in Progress: American Traitor's Knot.

Trys

By Hannah on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 07:38 am: Edit Post

Oh WOW! That seems so completely different than the other covers we've previously seen! I adore it already! The library *rocks* and am glad Arithon is so v. comfortable.

Best. Cover. Ever.

By Sandtiger on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit Post

VERY NICE, Janny. It looks amazing!!!

Now, I can't wait to see it in cover!

::snarf:: I meant to write "in colour" but "cover" works too.

Sandtiger

By skeoke on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit Post

Arithon is indoors!?!

That almost never happens!

I like it!

Davien's infamous library, no?

By SilverDale on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit Post

Oh, wow. Now I'm at least three times more curious about Traitor's Knot.

That's Davien, on the left? He looks tense; or maybe he's just holding something. The way he stares straight outwards, as if he can see the reader - it's disconcerting. That archway behind him makes him look taller.

Arithon is so elegant when he's studying. I get the feeling he's studying Davien as much as that book.

The indoor setting is gorgeous, and a first for WoLaS covers. I love the cupboard doors and the chair. The thing in the centre (which will go on the spine of the book, right?) looks kind of like an altar, or a pedestal without a statue.

This looks like political fantasy, rather than warfare. Yay!

*wolf-whistles*

By Blue on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit Post

O Mighty Techno Gryphon! I would dearly love to see this wondrous work of art, except for the distressing tendency of my computer for the last few days to pixilate every single gif, jpeg and other picture format on my screen. Any suggestions, since I cannot afford to take the next flight to Florida and bug Janny personally to see this wonder?

By Blue on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit Post

Scratch the last request, O Mighty Techno Gryphon! The Techno Shrimp [my little bro] managed to find the root of the picture problem... We are using Net Zero Hi Speed on a trial basis, and to get such wonderful speeds means having to sacrifice quality images. Oh, yeah, I want an ISP that is KINDA faster than 56K at the expense of Janny Wurts art. (For anyone who believes the last statement, I have some wonderful beachfront property in Arizona that is up for sale!) ;)

I finally got to see the sneak peek... Davien might rival one green-eyed Masterbard in the fandom department.

Interesting expression on Arithon's face. It is hard to say whether he is lost in thought, or wondering whether or not he should trust Davien.

Would Davien mind granting ME such a room in my apartment for my library?

By Trys on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:15 am: Edit Post

Altar? If you look closely that's probably a pillow lying on the raised section at the top of the steps... a seat maybe?

By Susan on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

This makes me really wish there were a way to buy just the dustjacket. I don't have room for 1 more book let alone 2!

By Trys on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:12 am: Edit Post

Susan,

Not 'just the dustjacket', but rather a print of the painting, that's what I'd want. :-)

Trys

By Susan on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

No fair, I hadn't even thought of that. I try to keep my sights low to avoid disappointment ;-)

By Kam on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit Post

Oh wow...
Wow.
Wow!
WOW!

I've noticed that Arithon likes to sprawl on seats, (he did that before in GC) but seeing it is...

One word. Guess.

Kam

By Auna on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:51 am: Edit Post

Wow, scrumptious!

By Greg Malcom on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

I can't see the picture. I can go to Art Gallery, I then can go to Cover Art in Progress. But, at that point I see British Traitor's Knot, and British Reissues.

Am I doing something wrong?

By Hunter on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

Interesting that the griffin's on the cupboard doors over Arithon's left shoulder are shown as looking away from each other. In just about every other instance, animals/statues in pairs are shown as looking at each other - e.g. US cover for Curse, the entrance to Kewar with the griffins. And in this picture in the centre.

Whimsy or reason? Probably the latter but why?

By Walt on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit Post

I can see what you meant Janny about getting all the perspectives right! Sethvir's library WOULD be a nightmare to draw! Awesome line art Janny! Can't wait to see the colored version.

By Trys on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit Post

Greg,

Your browser isn't recognizing that the files are new and is loading them from cache. Try clicking the reload button. If that doesn't work you may need to clear your browser's cache.

Trys

By Wayne on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit Post

Just had a thought. Davien's Library huh.

Can see the book plate now.

From The Library of
Davien the Betrayer

lol

Wayne

By Wayne on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit Post

Just looking at the drawing and seeing all the "X's" from Davien's Crossed arms, to the X stylized in the chairs and the Xs on the floor and wall.
Doesn't that usually mean conflict or something similar in the other books.
How about Davien actually looking directly at you while Arithon's face is turned. Just the opposite on Curse Arithon is then facing you head on and Lysaer wasn't looking at you directly.

Any ideas?

Wayne

By Hunter on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit Post

If you didn't know who the characters were and were told that one of them owned the library and the other was the visitor, which would you identify? Arithon's pose with the leg over the chair looks like how someone would sit who is intimately comfortable, Davien's pose of defensively crossed arms would appear to be someone less at ease.. which I can't imagine Davien would be in his own place!

By Walt on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit Post

Perhaps his unease comes from allowing Arithon unfettered access to his library; his children if you will. Either that or the unease that he (Davien) will shortly have his reunion with his estranged brothers of the Fellowship... Come on November!!!!

By Trys on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit Post

There are new in-progress images added to the same location (http://home.paravia.com/JannyWurts/Version2/CoverArtInProgressTraitorsKnotUS.htm l). Be sure to check back as additional images will be added as Janny progresses with the painting.

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit Post

What you have is a sequential on the progress of the painting -- starting with the head studies, then the line drawing, then (unusual for me, but in view of the architecture, I wanted the test run) the color study, then, a day by day sequence showing how the painting is moving ahead.

What you see now is actually two days behind where I am - it's been raining too hard to photograph, and I need outdoor light to keep the exposure uniform.

Enjoy!!

By Jay_Jay on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit Post

Ahhhh!! COOL! Thank you, Janny and Trys!

Can't help but wonder about Davien's pose, the crossed arms... Have never seen Arithon look so relaxed. Well, maybe not since the U.S. cover of Ships, where he was playing the lyranthe...

By Susan on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit Post

That's just so Cool!!

Janny I really want you to know how grateful I am that you're letting me (us) be a part of the process!!!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

By Blue on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:14 am: Edit Post

So that is the process you go through for these pictures... thanks for the peek!

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

Snatched a new picture today, before the monsoon clouds rolled in - once I get it downloaded out of the camera, throw tidbits to the gryphon...there was a lot of progress made on the background bits.

By Hunter on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit Post

These are fantastic Janny..

By Sandtiger on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit Post

Wow. That's incredible - I love seeing how it progresses over time.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!

Sandtiger

By Trys on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit Post

Another pic was added within the last hour or so.

By Ika on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny and everyone!

Beautiful, Janny! (It's a delight to see arithon and Davien in one place at the same time, mwahahaha!) Thanks for sharing with us. And thank you mr gryphon!

By Blue on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit Post

If you throw any tidbits to Trys, make sure they don't smell like mutton or the pics might get eaten by our Gryphon! ;^)

By Trys on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:35 am: Edit Post

And if you throw mutton make sure your fingers don't smell like it. ::evil grin::

By Hunter on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:48 am: Edit Post

Janny - what is the actual size of the painting?

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

23 1/2" high by 36" wide. All paintings for the US covers are done this size.

The color sketch is @ 8 x 10 1/2. It will be sold to the highest bidder, probably at Worldcon in Boston. If any one here wishes to bid ahead of time, e mail me PRIVATELY. I can agree to set the floor price of the bidding at that amount. If no one tops it, (which can easily happen - floor prices, if high enough, can head off a sale) add postage, and the sketch is yours. It would come framed if it hangs for auction.

There would be a price tag I consider "preemptive". Meet that, and the sketch would be on its way as soon as the painting is finished, with no option for auction.

By Blue on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit Post

Just out of curiosity Janny, how much would something like the color sketch be worth, were you to set a price for sale, as compared to an auction?

I am still reeling over how much you and Don lost over the paintings that were stolen from the FedEx truck. Since a guilty conscience hasn't prompted the thief/thieves to come clean and return your paintings, may I suggest that someone hit them with a plague of boils or the like?

By Hellcat on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:37 am: Edit Post

ME WANT NOW!!!! GIMMEEE!!! I think I'll get Murder One to order me in the US Edition.

Seriously I am now really wondering what Arithon will find in the library, Janny has hinted that a lot of bcakground info will appear in this book.

Hellcat

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit Post

Blue -

The sketches vary, depending how "finished" they are. The high water mark for a sketch, over 1,000 USD, the all time low, $36 bucks, at auction in a rough year.

The last sketch sold recently (given that I don't usually do sketches of any sort, anymore), went at Dragoncon for $350.00. This was well framed, but very very rough - and small - one of the color studies Don and I did for Fionavar Tapestry.

I have NEVER had a color sketch of Arithon available before this one. It's anybody's guess what it could bring.

The work is painted in acrylic, on drawing paper, sealed onto a masonite board with acrylic matte medium. If you "click" on the color sketch frame in the gallery, it will enlarge for your viewing. Though rough, Arithon looks like himself.

One bid is already registered.

By Hunter on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Janny..

By Wayne on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit Post

Hmmm...

Wondering if should bid now or wait for WC.
Cant wait to see the final painting at WorldCon and/or World Fantasy.
Wayne

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

Two days down the line, and the painting itself is progressing - there are now two layers (or two passes) made over the entire background. Time for "second pass" on the figures.

A new photo was snatched (between clouds) this morning. I'll get it processed, presently. Ready your tidbits for the gryphon....and you might see jpg # 6 in due time.

By Trys on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit Post

Day 8 is up.

By Stefan Urlus on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit Post

judging from the prices you quoted Janny - the works might be a tad out of my price range - DAMNIT .... but then you can't win them all

but if a lotto win comes along, i think we will all find that the sketch will be heading down under

By Blue on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit Post

If a lotto win happens in this area of the world, not only would there be several sketches heading my way, but some Wurts AND Maitz originals as well...

By Stefan Urlus on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit Post

hear, hear

By Jay_Jay on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit Post

Gorgeous! Love the way the colours of Davien's clothing are echoed in the rug he's standing on.

Janny, I don't suppose there's any way the "Copyrighted Material" stamp could be moved a tad to the right, so we can see Arithon's face more clearly?

[Gets ready to offer mutton to the Gryphon...]

By Trys on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:52 am: Edit Post

Jay-Jay,

The whole purpose of the copyrighted material message is to protect the artwork. I would think Arithon's face would be one of things someone might want to try and lift. As soon as there is a book cover, I'll be able to post that and there won't be the need for the watermark. Sorry.

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

We have (obviously) had interruption here, due to Charley - (we had shutters and a lot of loose gear in the barn, medicines, etc, that had to be lugged back out and put away) I am back on the painting as of yesterday - (Arithon now has had 2 passes, with Davien due for the same, beginning today)

I will see about catching a photo late today or early tomorrow...soon this sequential will resume.

Sorry for the interruption (wry grin).

By Stefan Urlus on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit Post

And what an interruption it must have been ... the pictures we saw here in Australia showed some pretty awful destruction ...

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit Post

Where the storm struck, direct, it's like a war zone - everything flattened. Where it glancingly struck, trees twisted and down, and roofs torn off.

We got missed, and are dazed by the blessing. Twenty miles is Too Close!

You see such storms on your west coast, in Australia, so I understood, one having passed just before I was there. At least with the satellite pictures, one has warning.

By Leonie on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit Post

I'm now living in NSW, but the previous sixteen years were spent in the northwest of WA - basically the cyclone capital of Australia (and probably the world). The last eight years were spent in the local State Emergency Service, which meant cyclone operations in summer.

The devastation produced by one of those storms is apalling so I was glad to hear you live in an area safe from storm surge Janny. Although enormous wind speeds create devastation, storm surge is dreadfully dangerous.

Does Florida have hurricane building standards? Certainly the northwest does (cyclone in our case :-) ) and I've always wondered if the US follows suit.

Hope the wind didn't cause too much damage.

Leonie

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit Post

Yes, there is a building code for these conditions. But 145 mph sustained winds - nothing stands with any degree of reliability.

We had no damage from the wind, except for one bit of downed flashing at the peak of the studio roof - already repaired.

Wind tore off roofs and leveled buildings. And threw trees into buildings - into the center of the state, so living inland didn't salvage, in this case. At least the storm's path was very tightly concentrated. If you weren't run over by it, you escaped the impact.

By Trys on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit Post

Images for day 12 and 14 are now up.

By Blue on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit Post

Interesting how the color brings out details... for example, the dragon [gryphon?] images directly behind Arithon looked to me like bookends, but now it is plain that they are carvings on the doors to some cabinets.

Can't wait to see this one on the finished volume!

One thing's for sure, Janny had better set her watch gryphon on her studio!

By George on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit Post

I wonder if there is any reason as to why the candle sconce above Arithon is not lit, yet the one of Davien's side is......

By Dancing Tofu on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 05:59 am: Edit Post

I'm sure there is.

By Blue on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit Post

Well, Arithon might want to test his mage sight, to make sure it is working after all those years of non-use. Also, being Master of Shadow, I would imagine that he would have better than average [non-mage] night vision.

A third possibility is that Janny is toying with us, making us sweat out reasons why! :-)

By Dorothy on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit Post

Does anyone else think Davien and Arithon bear a strong resemblance to each other?

Dorothy

By Trys on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit Post

Another image is up.

By Emrys on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit Post

This reminds me of one of those "What is different" puzzles. I keep flipping back and forth between 2 images to try to figure out which parts Janny worked on during that time.

It's fun to watch the work develop!

By Janny Wurts on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit Post

DONE!!!!

You'll have to wait a bit to see the final, however. I have to drive the painting to Tampa tomorrow to be professionally shot into a digital image.

All that went down in the past 3 days was detail picking and adding "dimension" to what was already well along. And a lot of work on Arithon's face. And fussing with sconces and metal and twitching this and that to make stuff sparkle.

To BED for me - My socks are so beat, they are goners. (grin)

By Blue on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit Post

Just out of curiosity, why is it not possible [aside from the size of the painting] to simply put the painting on a scanner [once Don is finished swearing at it, of course ;^)] and "Photograph" the image?

I took a photoshop class a few years ago, and the images look like photographs [Warning! Amateur rendering an opinion here].

Occasionally, I like to scan unusual things for different effects. For example, my favorite computer "wallpaper" is a corner of a washcloth, which I then put in "tiled" mode for the background. The color and texture alone is a lot of fun to look at. Should I ever get Stormcloud (alias Squirmcloud) to hold still, I might see about Russian Blue fur as a background texture.

By Trys on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit Post

Blue,

There is a huge difference in the quality between a professional scanner and a 'home' scanner. :-)

Trys

By phil on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit Post

out of interst how big is the file done by a professional scanner?

By Emrys on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit Post

Blue - If you Google for 'catscan' and 'feline', you might be able to find the site I saw a year or so ago. Someone did get a bunch of felines to sit, etc on scanners.

Janny - Congratulations! That sounds like a lot of work. It must be a great relief and thrill to have the painting done.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit Post

The files are HUGE - they take mucho time to load, and are higher definition than any printer will ever need. But for example: Don just got a pirate painting placed with a wall mural compay - it it will be reproduced, roomsized, for that. Good thing he had the massive file.

Getting this image on a home scanner - IMPOSSIBLE. It measures 23 1/2 by 36 INCHES. No way that will get on the scanner bed....we shoot it digitally with a camera to get the jpgs for the site.

The pro will have better equipment, and better lighting - and so the picture quality will be more true to the original, with less glints from "hot spots" where the varnish was too shiny.

We had a crystal clear morning, so soon, I'll clean up today's file and pass it to the gryphon. Tonight will be a wilt in front of STargate evening. I need a 'reset'.

By Blue on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit Post

Tonight will be a wilt in front of Stargate evening. I need a 'reset'.

Jeez, Janny, if anyone deserves it, it's you. After all, writing Traitor's Knot, the short stories you have done so far this year, and painting all those covers... yeah, you deserve a break. Especially if you go in for your Stargate break and Don says something like, "I don't believe we've met, what are you doing in my house?"

By the way, Trys and all, thanks for the information about scanners. I'll look up that catscan thing, too, Emrys. Thank you!

By Trys on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:53 am: Edit Post

Emrys,

I found the site. Unusual is the best word I can come up with to describe the images.

Trys

By Hannah on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit Post

Wow, Janny that is a huge painting. Sounds like fun to paint something that large, and I'd love to see it in person! Do you have a sleeper sofa?

(Hopefully I don't need to actually advise that I'm joking. Unless you want to pay my airline ticket...)

And thanks to both of you for the hard work in this whole "cover art in progress" project. I've really really enjoyed watching the progression!

Hannah

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

The gryphon has apparently posted the final version of the painting.

The work will very likely be on exhibition at Worldcon and also at World Fantasy.

By Trys on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit Post

The final image is up. Sorry to have forgotten to post here about it. :-)

By Jay_Jay on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit Post

"The work will very likely be on exhibition at Worldcon and also at World Fantasy."

OHHHHH....Yet ANOTHER reason why I wanna go!

BTW< when Janny posted about Don's pirate painting, at first my tired brain interpreted it as 'pirated'! And for a moment, I was going WHAAAATT?? Then I remembered Don's love of pirates, and it all made sense.

I think I'd better go to bed.... :P

By skeoke on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit Post

Looking at the final image it strikes me:

Those hands were never made to weild a sword!

:wink:

Great artistry, Janny. Can't wait to see it without the copyright through it.