Archive through March 15, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy; Peril's Gate & Traitor's Knot: Traitors Knot Discussions: Fortress speculation: Archive through March 15, 2006
   By Hannah on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit Post

What choice would Elaira have though, knowing that Arithon is a key component to the Paravian's possible restoration and the wraiths' conquer. Wholly apart from her personal feelings for Arithon, you have to take in to consideration Arithon's importance vs. Fionn Areth's.

But then again, you don't want to play god and go judging certain people more important than other people, because how can you know?

/random

By Annette on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit Post

I've just been re-reading the series. I have a thought on why Davien took an interest in Arithon's plight after 500 years of being uninterested in anything happening on the planet (or off it for that matter). Maybe he caused the uprising because he wanted the high kings to be off-world so that the future would have Arithon and Lysaer coming through the gate with their powers because Arithon (and possibly Lysaer) are the only ones that can save the planet and the uprising had to happen in order for the future to unfold in a certain way. But then I don't know why Sethvir wouldn't have known that was the reason for Davien bucking the system. And now is the time for Davien to take charge of Arithon and have him learn what he needs to learn to save Athera (again!). Does this make any sense?*?*!!??
I am not explaining myself very well.
Sorry.

By John Parsons on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit Post

This very stimulating thread has raised a thought in my mind.
Perhaps the similarity between Arithon's Havens and Davien's is much closer.
Arithon sacrificed 500 to try to save 40,000 in the same army
Perhaps Davien could see the rebellion coming and started it sooner to minimize the lives lost?

John

By Blue on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 11:57 pm: Edit Post

Spoiler ALERT!

Warning!!

Unfortunately, time constraints forced Janny to split Stormed Fortress into 2 volumes, Traitor's Knot [TK] and Stormed Fortress [SF].

Initially, I was disappointed, because it felt like the story just CUT OFF... Like those damned two part episodes of favorite TV Shows - "Tune in again next week, same Bat Time, same Bat Channel!"

On the other hand, HOW long would it have taken to get SF into my hot little grubby paws?

That being said, TK did a helluva good job whetting the appetite for more!

What is going to happen to Alestron? Mearn and Dawr were the only ones to give Arithon at least half an ear at that meeting.

Will Jeynsa ever let go of her grief and trust her Prince?

What the blazes is Davien really up to?

What will the Paravians do, now that they have sensed Arithon's commitment through his ritual that helped purge the Kralovir?

What other possible cults or unclean practices lurk unseen in the background?

What will Selidie do now that the Waystone has been cracked and altered? I'm actually surprised that Davien's little trick with the fire didn't alter it previously, since most citrine available on the market today is heat treated Amethyst.

Will Arithon and Elaira ever get a chance to make love without half of the clans of Rathain either snickering about it, or trying to stop them?

Will Fionn Areth ever get a clue?

By christopher john bowler on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 01:51 pm: Edit Post

There is one person I think will appear in the next installment WoLaS's, I think he has been forgotten about! I also think he will have a very important role to play in bringing everything together and that would be our good friend Ciladis the lost!. Davien thinks that he is being confined some where by whom we do not know as yet. he probably found the Paravians and they have no choice but to keep him captive, to keep the place where they now live a secret from everybody on Athera. Though this is just a theory!

By linda evans on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 04:59 am: Edit Post

in reply to christopher april 2005
i think you're right. the clue was in perils gate
welcome back cilidas
ps. have thoroughly enjoyed series so far, look forward to next installment

By Andy on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 02:17 pm: Edit Post

I think we do know who is "confining" Ciladis, although "confining" might not be the right word. If I recall correctly, somewhere in the first book, in one of the one-sentence flash glimpses, a unicorn notes the return of sunlight from the entrance to a cave or on some island, with a Sorceror lying on the ground beneath some kind of sleep enchantment. We can deduce that this must be Ciladis, since he is the only unaccounted F7. I guess it is relative, but to the Paravians, he might be "Ciladis the Found."

By Hunter on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 01:00 am: Edit Post

Ciladis the Lost to the Fellowship
Ciladis the Found to the Paravians
Depends on your point of view.. which is what this series is about.

The phrase is "the Sorceror sealed under sleep spells within".. there are only a couple of options here - either the Paravians sealed Ciladis, or he sealed himself inside as I doubt the Paravians would have forced Ciladis. My thought is that he's sealed by his consent until a specific action or occurrence happens that will cause him to awake. The unicorn I think is there as a guard to protect Ciladis, not as a jailer to ensure he doesn't escape..

By Hannah on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 09:50 pm: Edit Post

TK SPOILERS BELOW:

And didn't Davien say something to the effect that their (F7) great fear was that something was holding Ciladis, restraining him from returning in effect. You'd think that they would have voiced speculation about Paravians, if that was a remote possibility. But you can count on one hand the things on Athera that could restrain a Fellowship Sorcerer. Lessee... Paravians, Drake/some kind of Drake Spawn we haven't encountered, another Fellowship Sorcerer, and debatably Ath's Adepts or the Koriathain. And then when you consider motive behind some of those groups (Ath's Adepts? No motive I can conceive of...), it really narrows the list.

The Paravians really top the list. And I can't imagine them holding anyone against their will, so I do feel that he is willingly set under sleep spells. And there must be a grand and logical reasoning behind this. It will be a fascinating and exciting read when we get to the part where that is all explained!!

In the meantime, on a Wednesday, I feel like I would gladly volunteer to be put under sleep spells until, oh... Friday evening. I'll just explain to my boss on Monday morning that I was enchanted to sleep through the rest of the work week. I mean, what're you gonna do?

By Michael on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:48 am: Edit Post

Didn't the section mentioning Ciladis vaguely imply that the wards activated with the return of sunlight, maybe Ciladis sealed himself inside, and it would unseal with the return of sunlight, so he could return with the Paravians.
And didn't he make the sunloop to register the return of pure sunlight, so he should be aware of how to create wards which would dissipate at the return of sunlight.