Archive through July 31, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: The wars of light and shadow: Archive through July 31, 2005
   By kempc on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 08:09 am: Edit Post

For rumination, definitions follow (from The Macquarie Dictionary):

Betray 1. to deliver or expose to an enemy by treachery or disloyalty 2. to be unfaithful in keeping or upholding: to betray a trust 3. to be disloyal to; disappoint the hopes and expectations of 4. to reveal or disclose in violation of a confidence: to betray a secret 5. to reveal unconsciously (something one would preferably conceal) 6. to show;exhibit 7 to deceive; mislead 8. to seduce and desert

Traitor 1. one who betrays a person, a cause or any trust 2. one who betrays his country by violating his allegiance; one guilty of treason

So: very similar definitions. A traitor IS a betrayer. However, despite all that, I agree with those who think Davien is not the traitor in Stormed Fortress. I had thought it would be the goatherd, Arithon's double, but now I think that's just too predictable for Janny: has anyone thought the traitor might be Sulfin Evend, and he betrays Lysaer (in order to save him somehow)???

By Miranda on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 05:12 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Isn't the Traitor whichever acolyte of the Light it was that allowed Lysaer to become exposed to the Necromancers?

Miranda

By Hunter on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 06:51 am: Edit Post

Miranda, not sure about that.

Remember Mearn freezing his butt off half way up a tower in Avenor trying to find Talith and he stumbled across the shadowy cabal from Erdane who were basically using Lysaer as a puppet? Was this the Kralovir in action, or a completely separate group of people? If it's the Kralovir, then Arithon has ensured this group can not longer play Lysaer as a puppet.. if they're different, well, we're in for some interesting times..

Given Ellaine is from Erdane, I'm wondering whether Lysaer might seek restitution from Erdane for providing a traitorous wife?

So many twists and turns..

By Hunter on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 08:05 am: Edit Post

One of those unresolved Fugitive Prince thingies, eh Janny? :-)

By Trys on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:34 am: Edit Post

Miranda,

As with most of Janny's books I suspect there are many traitors to be identified. After all ther were more than one Fugitive Prince, more than one Grand Conspiracy and more than one Peril's Gate. :-)

Trys

By Sean Monahan on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:37 pm: Edit Post

Spoilers for Traitor's knot

S
P
O
I
L

Arithon, betraying the clans. Elaira, caught between betraying Arithon and the Koriani. Dakar, betraying Arithon. Fionn Areth, for betraying Arithon. Lirenda, for betraying the Koriani. Sulfin Evend, for betraying the towns, and trying to save Lysaer without betraying him. Davien, betraying Arithon, and more over, all of mankind. The Fellowship, caught between betraying the compact and their own obligation to protect humanity. I could probably keep going.

By Trys on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Bottom line is that there are many knots in the book. ;)

By Hunter on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:58 am: Edit Post

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Makes you wonder how many and what the Fortresses being Stormed in the next book are....

Alestron would appear to be *the* obvious candidate.. other physical locations which qualify as fortresses include Etarra, Althain Tower, Meth Isle and what's left of Ithamon. Then there are the metaphorical ones.. like Lysaer's mind, Selidie's mind.. fortresses definitely in need of some storming! The dictionary.com definition of "Fortress" starts thus: "A fortified place"

By Miranda on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:08 am: Edit Post

No one's arguing that there's only one traitor and only one knot in the entire book. That would be rather stupid. But in the same way as it would be pointless to insist that the title 'Curse of the Mistwraith' referred to the period of semi darkness inflicted by the fog on Athera prior to Arithon and Lysaer's arrival rather than the curse placed on the two princes, it seems unnecessarily picky to list all the traitors and all the knots (right down, presumably, to the various actual knots that Feylind and her crew may have theoretically tied on Khetienn or similar - they may have committed something that could, at a stretch be described as treachery, after all) when the title Traitor's Knot is unlikely to refer (specifically) to anything other than the book's major plotline (i.e. the Kralovir and, perhaps, the unwilling treachery of Sulfin Evend in taking the Caithdein's oath).

Miranda

By Miranda on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 07:10 am: Edit Post

Ooops, that post probably should have started with a 'spoiler' warning. D'oh.

Also wanted to ask - Trys, is a gryphon the same thing as a griffin? American spelling?

Miranda

By Trys on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

Miranda,

The gryphon responds, "A griffin is a lesser creature of questionable background and intelligence that aspires to greatness already achieved by the gryphons. While the average human may not be able to tell the difference, no such difficulty exists for gryphons. and woe betide the griffin who attempts to pass himself off as a gryphon!"

The human replies, "Pay no attention to him. He tends to get full of himself on this subject. Gryphon, griffin, and griffon are all forms of the same word. Any argument to the contrary is simply the ranting of a deranged mind filled with delusions of grandeur and warped by one too many Fourth Spells."

"How dare you insult me and my..."

"Oh shut up or you won't get any mutton for dinner."

::The sound of a snapping beak and grumbling words is heard diminshing into the distance.::

Trys <-- when you're paranoid you are never alone.