Archive through January 07, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through January 07, 2006
   By Sandtiger on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:55 am: Edit Post

Ooops. How did that happen???

I guess I am a few months behind. ::laugh::

Dec. 10th. :-)

Sandtiger

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

Into Chapter 8 - which admittedly crawled thru all the delights of family and holiday celebrations. Now - quick!!! - before the inevitable slog thru tax stuff starts for year's end (No, New Years is not my favorite time of year! :-) ) let's see if I can push it over the edge into the charged scene that's lying in wait for the setting scene to touch off...

I was going to post a new preview on Christmas Day for a Holiday present to you fans, but, well, I didn't get too-it.

So it'll be soon rather than lately.

The difficulty (read brain burn) is in FINDING any scene that doesn't open up too much of a spoiler!!!

This is a wrap sequence volume, and everthing on all fronts MOVES. (Wry shrug) Not much deadspace or developmental opening for anysort of teaser to tickle.

By fhcbandmom on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:47 pm: Edit Post

We really won't mind if you "spoiler" us, Janney!
;-)

Happy New Year to all!

By fhcbandmom on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 07:48 pm: Edit Post

We really won't mind if you "spoiler" us, Janny!
;-) sorry - fat fingers

Happy New Year to all!

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 06:58 pm: Edit Post

Main Chapter 8 is proceeding nicely - to two different Breton traditional bands...which could (hah!!!) maybe give you a clue. Or not!

And tonight, the nuisance that goes with success - TAXES. Ugly boring stuff, bare figures. Takes a big stick to make me dig into book keeping. Like the fridge is empty, there are NO movies, and I've read all the books.... :0

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 05:31 pm: Edit Post

Ok - whew - far along enough now, that I can really start posting STATUS.

Stormed Fortress's draft, today, main chapter eight's hit page 24 and the hot action begins! with a knock at the door.... :-)

Total page count of the drafted manuscript, (yaaaay!!!) cracked the 500 mark. Specifically, officially, 501.

THIS is the moment I've been waiting for...because the pileup now goes into avalanche....get a grip!!! Because the ride from here will be fast, hairy, and filled with hairpin twists. Oh boy....can our cast conspire to make a sled ride, or WHAT?

And Now - to take this smile to the rear desk, and bust up on the tax figures....hmmp.

By Juliana on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:23 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny

So... What does that mean in terms of possible publications dates? Not to rush you or anything!!!

By Auna on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:25 pm: Edit Post

A direct link:
http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=read&group=sff.people.julie-czerneda&artnum=2523 20

Can't wait to read that chapter!

By nathan on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:32 am: Edit Post

The UK Traitor's Knot was about 500 pages when finished I think.

Are you sure you're going to be able to squeeze everything into this volume to complete this arc of the story Janny?

And does this mean that we are going to be treated to a gorgeous epic (1000+ pages suits me fine, all the more to enjoy).

Don't leave us hanging on the cliff again please Janny!!!!! I don't think that my poor heart could take it.

By Trys on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:04 am: Edit Post

nathan,

It's worth point out that Janny is counting 'manuscript' pages... not final book pages which because of page size, font size, line spacing, etc. is usually smaller.

Trys

By Hunter on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:30 am: Edit Post

If you look at the sample manuscript page under "Author's notes / tips for ..", you'll see that manuscript pages look like they're double spaced.. so editors can make their suggestions.. so when typeset properly this will reduce page count..

Without having looked, I'm sure in the TK topic somewhere is what the final manuscript page count was for TK.. and possibly for PG.. that's probably a better guide.

By nathan on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:29 am: Edit Post

I used to double space my essays at college just to make it look like I had done more work! Glad to see that this old trick is still in use :)

Janny, would it be realistic to expect a final manuscript to be in the region of 1000 pages? I've had a quick look through archived discussions on this site but haven't yet found any reference to what the TK page count was before it was turned in.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:40 am: Edit Post

OK I'll let y'all off the hook!

Manuscript count is way higher than actual printed page book's count...not to save space, but to save editorial eyes, and to allow for US AUTHORS to pencil stuff in, too! And once upon a time, the copyeditor wrote in between the lines, also - manuscripts had about four colors of pencil marks when they finished production! Now, it's still a tradition.

To give you a Rough Idea of former sizes:
Mistwraith was about 1000 pages manuscript.

Traitor's Knot ran into the 900s, then ran higher when glossary and appendix were added.

To Ride Hell's Chasm ran 850.

NO, this book will not split. I feel, at the 500 page mark, that I ought to be at the brink of the final sequence of action. As the "kick" incident that knocks things into unwind occurs, there should be a clear view of the windup action, with no more "stages" to build footing. This is the case.

My aim: to bring in this book at 850 - 900, before glossary. This has left me some "wiggle room" in case (like the battle with the iyats in TK) one "incident" rides the course of several chapters.

I know the windup incident MUST ride the course of several chapters....but - what lies between here and then is very known ground.

I "expect" in the neighborhood of 14 chapter sets. and when I hit set 12-13, I'd better BE in the windup action.

Hit page 800, I need to be into the final sequence, no question.

So that gives you a map of sorts.

I DO know when tentative dates are spoken for, with this next book. I do not want to post them! yet -- because each time that "tentative" dates get shifted, alot of times due to circumstances that are NOT of my making, but part of a team effort (between the publisher and me) these dates CAN change, and when people get angry, bitter, disappointed and choose to write me tart notes - that hurts! Distracts from my efforts to create, put bluntly. Not everyone is inconsiderate...just the few spoke very loudly, due to the intensity of their feelings (they WANTED the book that badly, they didn't think past their own fury, in the moment of intense disappointment). But that fury took the form of a detrimental impact, on me.

So out of caring - tentative dates are not promises, let's stick to promises! Once the manuscript is finished, turned in, and into production - then it's the publisher's place to "announce" their intentions. The turn in date I've agreed for this manuscript, by contract, is JUNE 06, and to meet that, I am on schedule.

By nathan on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:00 pm: Edit Post

Janny, you are amazing. Thank you for such a thorough explanation. I'm sure I speak on behalf of many of your fans when I thank you once again for your caring and consideration, outstanding as always.

As for those fans whose limited patients can upset your kilter from time to time, I can only apologise and hope that they can learn to hold their tongues and contemplate the full ramifications of a harsh word.

(Feeling very defensive of my favourite author)

By Juliana on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 02:28 pm: Edit Post

Thank you Janny-

I only recently started perusing this chat area.

I was not aware that you received hurtful postings (although nothing surprises me anymore) otherwise I would have been more sensitive when asking about publication dates.

By Blue on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:33 pm: Edit Post

Good idea not to post those tentative dates... some folks see the dates and miss the part that reads "tentative". I remember some of those posts, and I also remember wanting to coat them in mutton gravy and whistle me up a Gryphon.

Things that happen that are beyond your control... Hmmm, like living in the hurricane capital of the US? ;) Hey, power outages, getting sick or dealing with a sick friend or family member, or even an unavoidable annoyance that makes us all grateful for the good aspects of life? Unfortunately, Janny's no more immune to these things than the rest of us.

Fortunately, however, Janny's got a terrific attitude toward life to get her through, and a nice husband to lend a hand if necessary.

By Hunter on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:32 pm: Edit Post

It's probably also worth noting, FWIW, that release dates one might see in various online catalogs may not be correct.. e.g. if Amazon or Borders says date x and HC website says date y, I would follow the HC website's date..

By Trys on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

I agree with Hunter to the extent that a publisher's website has a greater likelihood of accuracy over what a catalog may say. It always amazes me to see a book being listed on Amazon with a release date and number of pages when I know the author is still writing the book. It's flawed data from start.

Now as to a publisher's website, they will be only as accurate as the information flow to and workload of the website staff of that publisher. If a date shifts for some reason it is possible that the publisher website may not reflect that in 'timely' manner.

So I'd suggest that for Janny's books you rely on the information posted here. :-)

Trys

By Arend on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:24 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Janny. Glad to know I have plenty of time to reread the current arc before I read its final volume ^_^

Happy New Year, by the way!

It's funny how music can affect us. It took me years to be able to listen to certain Clannad songs again, so associated were they with my national service in the army. Or certain songs that pull me straight back into the stress of finishing my dissertation. **shudders**

At the same time, Bach or Arvo Paert is always a good bet to get me in a focused space where I get a lot of work done...

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:38 am: Edit Post

Arend - you are welcome. It's already a Happy New Year. Last night - the "sattelite muse download" hit and I was up, in the dark, cold quiet of the wee hours, taking notes at a fierce pace, I was so charged. Bang! and all the various threads ordered just so, meshed just so, matched to some pretty explosive action.

Know what you mean about music. I am really "sound crabby" sometimes. The wrong music, the wrong sorts of noise steer my moods, can even ride me like a spurred horse until I want to yell Quit Already!!!

During the "wait" for Stormed Fortress - you will have two opportunities to connect with the Atheran universe. One, in Fantasy Masters paperback release, edited by Bill Fawcett, from Baen Books (this month!) if you haven't seen Child of Prophecy, it unveils links all over the place. Not necessary to understanding of the story, but adds more depth and sheds lots of illumination on pertinent areas....the other, date not finally set, but that could be next year - Jana Paniccia and Julie Czerneda's Under Cover of Darkness anthology from DAW will feature (among many talented authors' stories) The Sundering Star, which is Athera-related, and I'll leave the rest as a surprise. This one will raise some eyebrows and blow not a few smug theories to threads and bits! (very big grin)

I am still amazed - at what readers can miss, if they focus too strongly on their own vantage...on another post, elsewhere, here, regarding "was this line in Peril's Gate an "editorial mistake" - nope. Nothing is perfect, my goofs and small editorial mistakes can happen, sometimes. And have. Othertimes, the thingie is deliberate. If something is not understandable, you Can always ask which. Intent or Typo.

:-)

And off I go to materialize the next scenes as they presented - you're gonna LOVE this!!! I do wish you didn't have to wait Either, it makes me burst, sometimes, with anticipation. Hard to hold my own secrets! before press time.