Archive through April 19, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through April 19, 2006
   By Janny Wurts on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 04:17 pm: Edit Post

Status update - first run draft for main ll is complete - official manuscript page count is 730.

By Maddie on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 08:33 am: Edit Post

I am confused and panic stricken, do you mean after sf there will in theory be 3 books, heaven forbid, I need to know the ending. How many years are we looking at till the end of the story? I know it takes time to write a brilliant story like this but my partner is hinting at starting a family when will I fit in my reading?

By the way what is the difference between arcs and books?

Sorry i sound a bit sad and desperate

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

Definition of an Arc:
An action begun is carried to conclusion...and from thence, the thrust of the conflict shifts gears.

In a nutshell:

Arc I, Curse of the Mistwraith
The curse occurs; both Arithon and Lysaer get, short term, what they desired (Lysaer, direction & purpose to claim ruling power, Arithon, apprenticeship with the Masterbard)

Arc II - Ships/Warhost
Strategy of the curse began: Arithon's effort to "run" fails; Lysaer arrives at the choice that ruling power is not enough.

Arc III - Alliance of Light
Title, self evident, reflects Lysaer's shifted strategy pending his choices, made at Vastmark - his consolidation of power based on allied governments and institutions. Arithon's shift - to consolidation of his powers as individual.

This is oversimplified, as all of the "factions" have their phases and efforts in the weave of the whole.

Arc IV and V - you will see....the "ground shifts" and that relies upon the ending volume being drafted as I type. There IS - has always been - a method to this APPARENT madness.

I can't make it easy on you, who read contemporary to the project's creation....you ARE in a real sense a part of what make this story possible - I can create it, but without readers??? Amuse myself though I might, the hours invested make bills that are needful to pay....I couldn't be writing and working for somebody else with anything like the efficiency required for a story of this nature and depth.

So, I will not apologize. Sad and desperate will not make this happen any faster, shorter, more conveniently.

The story will hold to its course. Quality and care, always, over every other factor.

No exceptions.

My best work, or nothing. Less would be an insult to your intelligence, and an abuse of mine.

:-)

So BE PATIENT! :-)

:-)

If I can hold the line, surely????

By HJ on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 06:05 pm: Edit Post

Janny, your integrity is a real beacon.

Thank you for the above "In a Nutshell" outline of the arcs of your story. It has really helped to clarify things for me. I must say, I've give COTM, SOM and WOV at least half a dozen reads, and the others progressively less as I've got older with your series and other pressures (family, work etc.) have taken priority. I have a goal to re-read all of Alliance of Light before Stormed Fortress comes out. If I can't make it all, I've got to do GC onwards. FP is fairly clear in my mind because I've read it more times. Ideally a COMPLETE re-read from the start would be best, to pick up and re-visit all the threads, nuances etc. But I think, at current reading speed that would take me upward of six months. Do I have time...? :-)

I was lucky enough to read all of the first 3 WOLAS books straight off before I "caught up" and had to then wait for each volume. The only volumes I've had to wait for since discovering this website were Peril's Gate and Traitor's Knot and I think being in touch with other fans of the series does make the waiting worse. Especially, Janny, reading your regular, wonderful, AGONISING status reports! I keep promising myself I will leave it a while before I check in here again because I can't stand the suspense/teasing... but I can never leave it too long!!

Keep it all coming, Janny, it's magic!

A very patient HJ x

By Janny Wurts on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 08:51 am: Edit Post

HJ - thank you.
Your words mean more than you know.

At risk of more teeth gnashing - this little bitty subchapter is gonna blow some lids to bittie shreds... :-)

I can't help Wanting to share what is occurring on the page beforetime....I so wish I could give it to you NOW. (That won't pay the bills!!! ; (

... Or keep the computer running, and this oldie now won't do my e mail - I get on the laptop to do that (sporatically) so - if anybody's sent something and been waiting for a response...be patient. I am writing... I will get tooit on the break.

By Maddie on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

Janny

I would like to apologise for my outburst the other day. I know you can not rush these things and as every avid reader I would want nothing more than your best. So I will be patient, as you are probably aware patience is a weakness of mine not a virtue. I will continue with my re-reading and await your brilliant work. Sorry again.

By neil on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 05:10 pm: Edit Post

Maddie, I have been reading this board for a while now and it's easy to post once you start.

Sometimes people get impatient and once posted it's not so eqsy to unpost :-)

You prompted a response from Janny that clairified her "arcs" plan for this series, though. This is actually interesting and I always live in hope that she will let a little tidbit slip! I can always "dream" anyway :-)

I remember seeing the arcs explained several years ago...and yes it will be a few years before we see the end of the story...My copy of Curse dates to 96 and seems to have been copyrighted in 93! Hmm patience!

By Kammy Wurts on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 05:33 pm: Edit Post

Maddie - no apology was ever needed. :-)
Figure I am the crab, pounding the keys to get this one IN on time! Patience with myself never being My frontrunning virtue either...!!

Muses do NOT work on command, dang em :-) But I did get a crude draft in place on this next bit, today. One step closer.

By Mary on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:33 pm: Edit Post

Maddie - As I was reading "do you mean that after SF there will in theory be 3 books" except in my mind I was saying ONLY 3 books. <grin>

It's this terrible dilemma - I want to know how it ends BUT I don't want it to end.

If anyone here has read the Robin Hobb series - Farseer Trilogy, Live Ship Traders Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy - you'll know what I mean. To think you'll never hear about Fitz and the Fool again!

Once Janny is finished the series, I'm sure that she'll face the same problem of all of us fans urging "just one more book about Arithon (and Elaira and Lysaer, etc.), please."

By Hunter on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:17 am: Edit Post

Kammy?

By Blue on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 02:06 am: Edit Post

Could Kammy be one of Janny's sisters?

By Ben on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 05:28 am: Edit Post

Hmmm. "m" is one key right of "n", and the same can be said for "k" instead of "j". Maybe the hand was slightly off centre? Or by some strange chance thats all a coincidence :-)

By Hunter on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 06:02 am: Edit Post

But if it was a hand snafu, it would be kammu..

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 09:45 am: Edit Post

call it deadline crosseyed crazies.

By Auna on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 07:09 pm: Edit Post

The conclusion of the series will now be written by Kammy Wurts from the notes and incomplete writings of Janny, who fled the desperate fans to enjoy some relaxation and sun ;)

I don't mind (well too much!) waiting for quality as long as I feel the story isn't being stretched just to put out more books. Since I don't feel that's the case here, I'm (somewhat mildly) content. Besides, each rereading lets me discover something I missed the last several times.

I hope we get plenty more books and stories in this world once the main series is done. So much has been detailed, it would be a shame to not flesh out more people in more times.

By Walt on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 07:28 pm: Edit Post

Hear, hear, Auna! Personnaly, I can't wait for Janny to have the chance to pursue other trains of thought. Of course by that I mean that Arc 4 and 5 were complete and on my shelf, well read, tagged, and marked up with notes as my other volumes are!

Perchance, then, after we leave Paravia, we might venture back to Keithland and the Cycle of Fire.

(intrepid poster now scurries for cover to avoid any stooping gryphons or thrown bottles of complementary Captain Morgan...)

By Róisín on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:19 am: Edit Post

I really liked the explanation of the Arcs. I love the the external vs internal power theme in the series, but this summary made Lysaer and Arithon's choices clearer, seen as a whole picture.

Janny, I'm curious: have any of our musings ever changed your perspective on an aspect of your own writing? Shed a light or raised awareness on a bias you didn't know you had?

By Derek Coventry on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 04:54 am: Edit Post

Perhaps Kammy is the light to Janny's shadow!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 08:18 am: Edit Post

Roisin - this is the nature of the story - and I am not exempt. ; )

Status Report - starting the last subchapter of 11 set today - official page count in manuscript is 740.

Just you wait .... !
The spec notes in this chat haven't even come CLOSE!

By Róisín on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 08:47 am: Edit Post

Janny - you know that is interesting in the history of writing - a two-way relationship that is active, between writer and audience. So far this is a nearly decade long negotiation of meaning between the two, in other words, a very long conversation. :-)

This is similar in spirit, to the perception that blogging is considered a viable source of information, apart from 'credible' sources.

It shows that texts and information and the voices they carry are no longer solely the domain of the elite few scholars and latterly, controlled media or institutions. Enough people are now literate to have a democracy in print... I like this age!