Archive through May 11, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through May 11, 2006
   By Janny Wurts on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:37 am: Edit Post

Status: chapter 11 set is in complete draft. Whew. A little refinement needed to balance the last scene - but the page count in manuscript is....drumroll...765!

Here we are, staring at three to the finish....and not any time to glance sideways.

By Blue on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:43 pm: Edit Post

This almost sounds like a thoroughbred horse race...

And they're off!

Chapter 11 is in the lead, with Chapters 12, 13, and 14 trailing behind. Wait a minute, someone has linked them together, that Wurts is a clever jockey, riding four horses at once. This is going to be an interesting race, race fans!

By HJ on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 04:26 pm: Edit Post

Ha ha Blue!

Janny, forgive me if I'm being dense. Now that chapter 11 is finished, am I right in my understanding that you have only 3 chapters left to write?

OOOOONNLYYY THREEEEEEEEE?

What seems so small a number to us must seem so much more monumental to you.

I'm sorry, but I'm still skipping about happily. I can't help it. STORMED FORTRESS IS COMING GUYS!!!!

Rejoice!

x x Janny, Much Love and Good Thoughts x x

PS My husband is even asking me "How's Stormed Fortress coming along?"

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:44 pm: Edit Post

Q:
"PS My husband is even asking me "How's Stormed Fortress coming along?" /Q

Now that's funny

By motley on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 06:59 am: Edit Post

I suppose chewing on my computer mouse cable is just not going to speed anything up... :-)

By Janny Wurts on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

Har! chewing mouse cables to speed things up...

Progress graph - gonna bust that chart.

Also - gawp - only ONE VOTE for Dakar and Fionn? Quietest clamor for a sneak peek ever - will you let that take it by default?

By Jo on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 02:15 pm: Edit Post

Janny

Fionn and Dakar sneak peak, any sneak peak please. Whatever you choose I'll be happy.

Question about after the draft is complete. What happens then? Do you take it to the publishers and do they scrutinise it or do they suggest/insist or making a draft smaller or more in depth? Or does it go to publishing as you have written it? I love really long books as I get through short ones far too quickly much to my husband's annoyance. He thinks I should start up my own library. As you can tell I have no idea about writing except that I love and really appreciate a great author like yourself. Can't imagine a world without books to be honest.

By Hannah on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 07:50 pm: Edit Post

Well, I thought the only two options were Dakar/Fionn Areth or Mearn/Tal, and since we already had the latter, I assumed that was the fulfillment of the promised peek.

I clamor for any and all peeks at any given moment!

By Nick F. CIANCI on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:59 pm: Edit Post

Janny,
I just wanted to say that I love your writing. I've just finished the latest Donaldson book & I'm waiting with "baited" breath (I've always wondered as to the roots of that saying) for the next installment "Stormed Fortress".

Once upon a time I remember you saying that "Stormed Fortress" would be the last book in the series, but this "discussion thread" seems to allude to more books to come. Will there be "closure" in "Stormed Fortress"?

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for writing some excellent stories; and remember, as I tell the guys at work, to rest & come up for air occasionally.

Cheers,
Nick C.
Canberra in Oz

By Trys on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 06:59 am: Edit Post

Welcome to the board Nick C.

FYI, on 'baited breath', it originally was spelled 'bated breath' which was a shortened form of 'abated breath'. :-)

Not to answer for Janny, but Stormed Fortress is the last volume of the Alliance of Light which is the third arc of five in the Wars of Light and Shadow. So after this, two more arcs.

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 09:26 am: Edit Post

Hi Nick - welcome.

Jo - You Asked.

What happens? Brain burn, for me! For Traitor's Knot, I sent a chapter to my editor - who marks the cr--p out of three or so pages - this rough shake is the best way to hammer me OUT of draft mode and into final text edit.

Those markups are not used verbatim - they are a template for me to bounce off, to shift gears and phase out of draft mode's tendency to hang up in redundant phrases.

(You could see a bit of what happens - take the "sneak peeks" of TK's draft, and compare them to your final book)

I then take the a rather tall stack of pages, sit down with a pencil, and get brutal with the final language. Then I take those pages, and go through them again, backwards, for more of the aforesaid. Inconsistencies get fixed. Continuity gets final checked. Repetition gets cut. Then a final printout goes for test read, to catch errors I may have missed, as by this time, the text is near memorized and I am blind to it, utterly. Spellcheck, my final read thru - then it goes to the editor, entire.

By then, it's so well ironed out - little if anything is done to it, past teensy grammatical adjustments and the precision pick thru by copy editors.

I get it back twice more - copyedit, and page proof, before it hits press.

The story is in large part my work - I am always open to suggestions and corrections - but editors do so MUCH more than "edit" these days - it requires diligent work if the books are to come out at their finest....so I have test reads, to catch the glitches or the bits that may not engage the way the story requires AHEAD of the production deadline - most bits are well ironed out. I am one of those authors who sends the work in FINISHED as possible.

Assuredly, what you have is my vision. - fine tuned by me, with the help of other sets of eyes, x checking how things play on the page.

By Myranda Rose on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 03:50 pm: Edit Post

I didn't vote for a sneak peak...

I'm tring to be a good girl (its not easy these days ;) ) and wait to read the whole book in its entirity. Now this does mean that come the release date I'll be a quivering wreck... and the wait for the next three books will be like waiting for exams to end (I swear the never really do).

By Wendy Collett on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:04 am: Edit Post

I vote for Dakar and Fionn, echoing the request for any and all peaks you care to share! :-)

By Arend on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 01:35 pm: Edit Post

Progress graph - gonna bust that chart.

You can find out here: The Chart. Now Updated! I can barely keep up with Janny ^_^

By skeoke on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:15 am: Edit Post

Sneak peak? Sneak peak? Yes, please! I'll take any! I'm sure that any you deem tempting will be more than wonderful - and leave me eating my hat with dis-proven assumptions and piles of new assumptions!

Thank you!

By neil on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 03:47 am: Edit Post

Sneak peak? Sneak peak? :-)

I've done a quick search (last 3 weeks...author wurts) and not found the sneak peak choices?

If we're not voting for Dakar and Fionn, what was the other choice?

By Technetus on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:30 pm: Edit Post

The chart's starting to resemble a cross-section of Rockfell. ;)

By Konran on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:52 am: Edit Post

Y'know what? I think that to distract ourselves from the wait for Stormed Fortress, and also to get things together in our heads a little better, we should make a wiki page like Wikipedia for WoLaS. We could even name it WikiParavia... It would be a neat resource for when one of us forgets Kamridian s'Ffalenn's name or something, and maybe also handy for Janny so she doesn't have to go digging through her file folders to look something up *teases*. Of course we wouldn't put in anything copyrighted like the appendix stuff from TK (unless we got permission) but just our own observations, like who's who, where they're from, what happened to them, etc. I think it would be totally fun and let us keep our heads in the world without freaking out over Stormed Fortress... maybe even bring some new theories to light with review of the facts.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to set one of these things up... but I bet the gryphon might... *dangles mutton*

By Trys on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:32 am: Edit Post

The gryphon has no experience with Wikipedia other than occasionally being pointed there by a Google search. However, to get a listing at Wikipedia would be great...

I will say that there is much information of this sort on the webpage AND there is a search feature that will bring up a list of links where the searched for word or phrase can be found.

As to a searchable dictionary, that could be interesting.

By Blue on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 06:40 pm: Edit Post

Ooh, searchable dictionary... sounds like fun!

What say thee, Janny?