Archive through July 26, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through July 26, 2006
   By James George on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 11:04 am: Edit Post

Dear Mrs Wurt, Can I add a Northern Irish accent to those voices of eager expectation. I can't wait for Stormed Fortress to arrive but the wait adds to the flavour I think. Besides, I am so greedy to read them that I never fully appreciate your books on the first read and have to calm down and read them again and maybe a third time before I really get the full benifit of the tale.
Thanks for years of a rip roaring heart stopping journey Mrs Wurt!

By Janny Wurts on Monday, July 03, 2006 - 03:48 pm: Edit Post

Hi James George, welcome here, in any language...!

Subchapter 13a is now in full draft, and the manuscript is at 904 pages.

The plot rapidly boils to frothing...

By Ika Nurain on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

lol janny, referring to:
"The plot rapidly boils to frothing..."

I think our brains and mouths are frothing too...in anticipation, heehee.
cheers,
Ika

By Steven Redpath on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny.

Hope the book writing is going well. I have to say that one of the things I do like about your style is that you are not scared of killing major characters and handle the effects of such deaths amongst the other characters very well. From the killing of Ayaki in the Empire series to Earl Jieret's death they have been masterfully used and come as a shock (especially Ayaki's).

By winter on Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:36 am: Edit Post

I agree Steven, in most stories you just know that certain characters will make it until the end. It makes the plot predictable, which is no fun. George RR Martin's Song of Fire and Ice is probably the most unpredictable series I've read so far. I've been floored by who he kills off sometimes.

I don't know if anybody else is a fan, but I listened to Joss Wheadon's commentary on some Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel episodes and he talks about that. How he can't really kill the main character (the show being named after her, and Angel after that show's lead) but everybody else has to be expendable in some sense. In Buffy and Serenity the film, he kills major characters in ways that contribute little to the storyline because you can't have a battle without senseless death.

By Caroline Andrews on Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 07:21 pm: Edit Post

I'm 55 years old and I never remember learning to read - I just seemed to be born able to read. I was an only child for 8 years till my brother was born. Not just with no brothers or sisters, but with NO other children around me until I was 7 years old (apart from a few months in the small school in the village where my maternal grandparents lived (in a farmhouse about a mile and a half outside the village). My father was in the Air Force and we moved constantly. He was abroad most of my early years and I never saw very much of him till I was four,then my mother and I went to join him in Malta and we returned when I was 7 - hence the total lack of other children in my life till that age.

I used to spend all the school holidays with my grandparents but I was never lonely though. I was a voracious reader (as were my parents) and I read everything I could get my hands on - whether suitable or not! I loved fairy tales and fantasy. One of the earliest books I remember reading was "The Ship that Flew" about some children who come across an old back street shop while visiting the seaside and buy an old model ship which turns out to have magical properties, takes them back in time and enables them to bring a child from the past back to their present.

I also read a series of books about Bobby Brewster, who has conversations with everyday objects such as chairs or bath taps. I also read the Dr Doolittle books and most of Dickens.

I went to an excellent school on the Army base in Cyprus between the ages of 11 and 13 and the English teacher there read extracts from Lord of the Rings to us. I was completely hooked, but I had to wait for several years before I could find a copy and read it for myself.

When I was 14 we were based in London and there was a small shop nearby which lent out Marvel comics and their imitators for a small fee which was redeemable when they were returned. I was introduced to Captain America, Superman and all the rest of the Superheroes and heroines.

I even scared myself stupid with Dennis Wheatley, Poe and various other horror writers for a time.

I've read all the "classic" SF output: all of Clarke and Asimov, Vonnegut, Ursula le Guin, Anne McCaffrey, Jules Verne, H G Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs and countless more. I'm currently reading "The Iron Lance" by Stephen Lawhead, which ties up the Crusades of 1099 with a secret society which has handed their arcane knowledge down through the ages till it reaches the 19th century Scottish lawyer who is writing the book.

I still love fantasy and SF. Although there are supposed to be only seven plots in the entire gamut of literature, fantasy and SF add extra dimensions to these plots which are not found in more conventional literature. A may still fall in love with B, but it's MUCH more complicated if A is a fire-breathing dragon from a high-gravity planet and B is a nebulous cloud-sitter from a planet with just enough gravity to support an atmosphere! Go on - make a story about that :-)!

I expect that Janny will be pleased to know that the WOLAS are the only fiction books (besides classics and poetry) that I have actually BOUGHT (and NEW at that - even if I DID wait for the paperback versions)! I eagerly await the release of the next one.

By Janny on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 03:21 pm: Edit Post

Please check the System Announcements for information regarding the recent spam problem. It's being aggresively addressed. My apologies to any who have had their e-mail boxes filled with this stuff from an unscrupulous creep.

By Trys on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:23 pm: Edit Post

I recommend that everyone should peridically check the System Announcements topic to see what might be going on and that's the place to look when something, like this spamming, is happening to see what I'm doing about it.

By Blue on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 08:16 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the heads up, Trys. Get yourself a snack out of the petty mutton. ;)

By Trys on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 03:59 am: Edit Post

Blue, there's no such thing as 'petty' mutton. There is only good mutton and great mutton. <grin>

By Jay_Jay on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 11:40 am: Edit Post

I hope there's a special corner of Hell reserved for spammers!

If not, there should be!

Grrrr!!!

By Blue on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 06:28 pm: Edit Post

It's similar to petty cash, only it is meant for Gryphons, Trys.

By Joanne Talbot on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

Janny

Just wondered how SF is coming along? I am expecting my 2nd child in Feb do you think it will out before then? Can't imagine having the time to read it especially doing the night feeds I will be a zombie what with a 2yr old and a babe. (I am sure I will make the time zombie or not).

Understand though if you're not sure. Thanks

By Nathan on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 02:46 pm: Edit Post

Hi Joanne,

I know what you mean. I've got an 18 month old girl and don't have the time to read half as much as I used to. However, my wife and I are spending Christmas with her family in the Czech Republic and this will probably be the only week for the next 12 months that I will have enough 'spare time' to truely enjoy Janny's next delight.

I cling to the hope that SF just might be available in the UK in time for Santa to slip a copy into my suitcase before a board the plane on December 22nd :-)

Janny, even if SF doesn't make it to the shops in time for Christmas 2006, thank you for still giving me a reason to get excited when I look under the christmas tree, even at the ripe old age of 32!

I hope all is going well with you, and I'm sorry to hear that you've been pestered by those wretched spammers. It's a shame Trys can't sing a little melody and set some enchanted iyats onto them :-). Maybe you could have a word with Arithon, I hear you two are good friends :-)

By Janny on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 10:23 pm: Edit Post

Status report on Stormed Fortress -

I am at this moment halfway through chapter 14 main, with one more scene to go, and THAT scene kicks off the finale. I had hoped to finish in 14 sets, but with wrapping a loose end and tying off some stuff that started in Fugitive Prince, it looks like it will take 15, total. I am Very close to finishing the draft - once the manuscript is fully turned in, then the (right now tentative) publication dates will be finalized. December 06 is too early - an 06 release date was never on the agenda. I have an art deadline scheduled for November to complete the cover for the UK edition.

I do promise that this volume will be worth the wait!!! At least a few of the test reads are hanging onto their hair.

If you are in the Czech Republic, see if you can find some of my books there. There were a few titles done in translation.

By Nathan on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:11 am: Edit Post

Janny, if you need any help translating SF into Czech just let me know. My wife is an excellent translator and I promise I won't read any of the English version. Honest :-)

Glad to hear that the draft is nearing completion. Will we have an opportunity to see the cover art prior to publication or is that not really allowed?

Thanks as always for your status reports. They are always appreciated.

By Janny on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Cover art is always previewed here, first - you've come to expect that naturally? :-)

By Blue on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 03:19 pm: Edit Post

Nathan, you are one lucky dog! My dad was Czech, but by the time I was old enough to understand "heritage" he had forgotten most of his native tongue. How I curse the mentality of "America first, English only!"

One of my grander ambitions is to go over to the Czech Republic and see the home soil for myself.

Janny - I think I could solve the moisture problem in a lot of forest areas with all of the drooling I am doing over anticipation of SF coming out, especially when you get to the cover portion. The teaser bits - ah, you are one wily lady, to whet the apetite so!

Will Elaira ever make an appearance on a WoLaS cover, beyond the elusive little ghost image on the back of GC?

By Nathan on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:14 am: Edit Post

Hi Blue, I heartedly recommend a trip to the Czech, especially as you have roots there. I try and go every year. The food is great, the countryside is beautiful and the people warm and genuine…well I would say that, I married one didn't I :-)

Janny, can't wait to see the cover art. Have you already got something in mind or are you awaiting inspiration?

On a completely different note, and a very cheeky one at that. I don't suppose you're in need of some names for new characters that may be appearing in future volumes are you?

Could I be so bold as to plant a seed in the hope the name just might pop into your head when the time is right?

I think Millaina would be a great name for a female character in one of your books (and it just so happens to be my daughters name…fancy that!).

No harm in asking, I hope :-)

By Janny on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

Oh, a fun flurry of questions!!!

Yes, Elaira will make a cover appearance.

Yes, I have a pretty clearcut idea of what I will paint for Stormed Fortress's suite of images...where I am grinding Teeth in the idea department is what ICON and background images to use to composite the British reissue covers for Grand Conspiracy and Peril's Gate - suggestions from readers welcomed!

As author, I can't pick my translators - the publisher contacts me with the offer, and translation is their bailiwick. (How I'd love to sell enough numbers to suggest!!!) For now, best take, would be to contact the publisher and offer your services, if you are equipped for the job, make the approach as would any other professional. I don't know how they pay for translation, or what the deal is....the Czech publisher should be listed on this website.

On names - do you speak Paravian? IF you do, then you can suggest away - there's a translation dictionary posted here. Have fun. I might bite.

In another book - where the language is not Paravian - well, I can keep a name in mind...though that sorta spoils the publisher's effort to disclaim "no character in this book resembles anyone living or dead...etc" that supposedly covers them for accusations of libel. I've had people write me saying they'd named their kids after this character, or that - and one who named their boat after Arithon's pleasure sloop. But you are the very first who turned tables and asked a character be named for your daughter. (grin) could be intriguing....you never know.