Archive through August 12, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through August 12, 2006
   By Winter on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:09 am: Edit Post

What characters have spawned the most namesakes, Janny?

By Blue on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

Winter, there was one board member who named a black, green-eyed kitten Arithon. I told her it made for an amusing image, if said kitten got into as much trouble as my cats, namely someone yelling, "Arithon! Get your fuzzy butt off that counter!"

By Andy on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 08:35 am: Edit Post

George Martin has a great page on his website which collects and presents examples of how fans have named their children and pets after the characters in his ASoIaF series. You can find it here:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/fans/index.html

I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar examples of pets and children named Arithon, or Elaira, or Fiark, or Sethvir. I certainly hope no one has named their child Morriel. Might work for a cat, though.

By Trys on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:59 am: Edit Post

quote:

I certainly hope no one has named their child Morriel. Might work for a cat, though.

::thbbbbt::

By Helen Elizabeth Bennett on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 07:10 pm: Edit Post

Trys, what does ::thbbbbt:: mean?

I think Morriel is a great name for a cat. I've never had one but have lots of experience of them! In theory I quite like cats, especially when they purr a lot and curl up in my lap. But I have to say I'm not all that pleasantly disposed towards them, furry and sleek as they are, when I see them staring defiantly at me and find them crapping all over the garden where my children play.

x HJ who is from henceforth known as Bonesy!!

By Trys on Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 04:42 am: Edit Post

HJ,

Its a 'Bronx Cheer' or a 'raspberry' the sound made when one sticks out one's tongue and make a noise. <grin>

I love cats in all their forms and glory even when they're wizzing on the wainscotting. I've never met a cat as twisted, cantankerous, or indifferent to the flow of nature as Morriel is. :-)

FYI, If you want HJ to appear with your posts, change your profile so HJ is your 'real name'.

Trys

By HJ on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 09:57 am: Edit Post

Thanks, Trys. Still feeling my way around.

By Mohammed on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 09:14 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny, I registered on here just so i could express my thanks for your delightful work and i cant wait to get my mits on your next book its eagerly awaited, thanks once again.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 12:05 pm: Edit Post

Mohammed - welcome here, and thanks for the warm words. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 05:31 pm: Edit Post

Status update - chapter 14 main is out for test read, and the first subchapter is well under way. Nearing the finish line - and at this stage, into the closing scenes' supercharged intensity. Whew!

By Kimberly Israel on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 08:00 am: Edit Post

I named my kitten (now 2 years old) Feylind. As much as I'm happy with the name for her, I'm never using a character name from a series I'm actively reading as a pet name again. The problem is that I talk to the cat (yes, I talk to my animals...and plants...and inanimate objects) and use her name every day, but I'm usually not reading WoLaS every day (except when a new book comes out or I'm in my annual rereading phase). The result is that the name Feylind is now more strongly associated with the cat than with the character - still pleasant associations, but not the same ones as before. When I read about Feylind the books, it takes me a few pages to completely get my cat out of the picture. So as much as I love my cats and want to give them names that I treasure, I won't be naming my next cats Arithon or Elaira or even Davien, because I would lose too many of the powerful images that those names conjure up. Which of course is not to say that anyone else shouldn't name their pets whatever they want :-)

By Jo on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 02:09 pm: Edit Post

Janny

I was just wondering when the next update would be and there it is. Can't wait. I have to say Janny your test reader(s) is/are very lucky. Any way really looking forward to the SF.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:07 am: Edit Post

Apologies to everyone for being so scarce!

The ending of this arc - very intense to write. Flying now toward finish - I am nearly done the first of 14's subchapters and am dismayed to see I'm into the 900 page manuscript mark...argh...I can 'see the end' however - the scenes are indeed numbered! I do expect to close out at fifteen sets.

We just got done entertaining Don's 11 year old grandneice for a week. (Lots of pool time and very big rollercoasters - doesn't take much for us to be kids along with her!) Now that she's back home, the next excursion --- DRAGONCON!

And now - back to wrapping up this BOOK!

By Hunter on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:15 am: Edit Post

Yeah Janny!

By Theresa on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:35 pm: Edit Post

I doubt you'll get much complaining from us about a nice long book. :-)

By Anna on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 07:50 pm: Edit Post

Nope... no complaints here :-)
I'm guessing no matter how long it is, it won't seem long enough once we get hold of it!

By Blue on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 11:50 pm: Edit Post

Aside from that, if we allow Janny to recharge her batteries from time to time, she'll produce a book that is MUCH better than if she were burnt out or stressed.

By Derek Coventry on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 04:51 am: Edit Post

Janny,
You are the Sun and I enjoy tanning slowly,

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 12:43 pm: Edit Post

Status: first subchapter to set 14 is in test read...page count just over 975, before revision of draft....

By Nathan on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 02:15 pm: Edit Post

Keep writting as long as you like Janny. The longer the book, the better, as far as I am concerned.

All the more to enjoy when we finally get to read it.

It's always worth the wait, without exception.