Archive through October 30, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through October 30, 2006
   By Iris on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:15 pm: Edit Post

Pirates! Janny, Details please!
Tampa is not so far for me.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 09:08 pm: Edit Post

Florida Pirate Festival
Coachman Park, Clearwater, FL
November 17th, 18th, 19th
10am to 10pm Fri and Sat, Sun , 10am to 6pm

www.piratefair.com

Not sure which day or days we will go. Ask nearer the time.

By Annette on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:26 pm: Edit Post

Thank you very much Janny. I hope that the late 07 date is for the US release? Or is it UK? Meisha Merlin only distributes to the US and that is who would be distributing THE book correct? Add my loud yell to the bunch although I work in a library so yelling in here is not good, hmmmm where can I yell? If I yell outside people will think that I am insane (not that they are neccessarily wrong...), in my apartment I will scare the crap out of the little kitten that I found living under a tree by the rent a wreck shop. This needs more thought.... Maybe I can just yell really loud in my head? Does that count?

By Auna on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 12:19 pm: Edit Post

(poing.. poing... poing..)
ISITDONEYET? ISITDONEYET? ISITDONEYET?

>Yes

YAAAAAAHOO! WAAHAHAHAAAAWEEEEEYAAAAAAWOOO!

(three second pause...)

(poing.. poing... poing..)
ISITOUTYET? ISITOUTYET? ISITOUTYET?

By Trys on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 02:11 pm: Edit Post

Auna,

Beware the Salmon of Correction.... ::thwap::

<grin>

Trys

By skeoke on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:48 pm: Edit Post

Wow.....

ohboyohboyohboy....

wow....

breathe...

breathe...

ahhhh

re-read

(thank you, Janny!)

ohboyohboyohboy....

By motley on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 04:57 am: Edit Post

*mad.joyous.caper*

By Blue on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

Weird capering happy dance from this end. Cats are giving me the "Uh oh, she's getting ready to SNAP again!" look.

By Jo on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 02:34 pm: Edit Post

Hoorahhhh excited dance round the living room, husband looking at me strangely, would get the wine flowing but can't as baby on the way but hey big bar of chocolate and a cup of tea will do for my celebration.

By Derek Coventry on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 08:14 am: Edit Post

Lot of dancing about going on; I'm saving myself for publication whence I will explode into activity seeking the quickest way to get a copy!
Congratulations Janny, may you reap great rewards for your labours. Mmm just think of the happiness you are spreading!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 05:26 pm: Edit Post

Restructure of numerous "fixits" on sticky notes tagged to manuscript pages, done!

Cut down of draft, marked up through chapter 2 main.

Chugging along on schedule. :-)

By Blue on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 08:28 am: Edit Post

I think you are going to become the living proof that "perpetual motion" exists, lady.

However, here is some more perpetual motion - do you have any preliminary sketches for the cover? Arithon, we know, is going to be his usual gorgeous self, but HOW is he going to be his usual gorgeous self? :-O

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:48 am: Edit Post

Ah, the cover art.....it's in my head, still. :-)

Except for the sketches for the British edition, and the reissue covers for the earlier Alliance of Light volumes. Those are done and approved, and awaiting finish.

You'd really prefer the polished manuscript turned in - as that will "lock" the production schedule for next year. The cover art is tagged with a March due date.

I will paint up the lot after New Year's, all going well....expect a red background.

By Hunter on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 05:59 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny,

Are you planning the same cover art for US and UK/Aust/Kiwi editions or the portrait cover for US and landscape type painting for Britain and her colonies?

Red background.. hmm.. red goes really well with.. um, fire! Alestron burning perhaps? Lysaer slagging something.. a drake re-appearing? :-)

Hunter

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 10:56 pm: Edit Post

Colonies!? *exasperated exclamation*

Seriously...*sigh* - *he says with a BIG grin*

There wouldn't be much point in having the same covers for US & UK release...the whole series of covers has been different...(I'm thinking that if I came into money, I'd have to get the whole US-cover series...just to complete it all - Like I did with Cycle of Fire - I had 2 old covers and Shadowfane was the new cover...so I bought the Old Shadowfane cover and updated the first two as well!)

Speaking of which Janny;

There's a teen-fic series called "Sweep" in the US, and "Wicca" in the UK/AUS.

I've come to find out the finished manuscript that was approved for print in the UK was chopped....certain lines / passages were removed from the individual books, rendering our UK editions shorter and less-complete than the US Sweep editions...

This hasn't occurred with the WoLaS series has it? I would be devastated if I found out your books had been chopped for the UK editions as well...

By Janny Wurts on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 07:37 pm: Edit Post

There has been no chopping of any edition - there could be minor changes, ONLY where a single word meant one thing in the UK and another here.

Dockwalloper - UK edition.
Dock worker - US edition

That sort of thing.

No content cuts!!! Shudder....

By Hunter on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:17 pm: Edit Post

Well.. I could hardly call the US a British colony any more.. :-)

By Trys on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 06:34 am: Edit Post

Oddly enough the person who 'exclaimed in an exasperated manner' at the 'colonies' comment is not an American. :-)

By Hunter on Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 09:47 pm: Edit Post

Hmm.. seems I distracted from the original question of whether we would be blessed with two different covers for Stormed Fortress, or just the one? Janny?

I believe in the earlier versions of books the UK versions had UK style/spelling/etc. but not so much in the recent books.. e.g. co-operation became cooperation.. cancelling became canceling.. etc. But not content changes..

By Janny Wurts on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 10:12 am: Edit Post

Two covers.

The UK version will have the same style as Traitor's Knot, and all of the Alliance of Light covers will be reissued to match that.

US version would look like the US set to date.

The spellings have varied back and forth. Sometimes the UK version spells their way, sometimes they opt not.