Archive through February 01, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through February 01, 2007
   By Neil on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 08:57 am: Edit Post

thanks janny :-)

By max on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 01:12 am: Edit Post

I'd enjoy a question like your Don,s query, Janny. sound like a great sense of humor!!

this is a quote from 'Traitor's Knot'. 'She left him the dignity of his smallclothes.' Sooo...
I would like to know, does he wear boxers or does he wear briefs?? [smiling at ya]

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:22 am: Edit Post

Oh boy, only the last fifty pages of cutdown to go.....!!! Give me another three days, and it's only little busywork left, the hard part will be done.

By HJ on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 04:40 am: Edit Post

Yipee! I just yesterday finished my re-read of "Alliance of Light" and so I'm fresh from Traitor's Knot and READY for this book. Keep at it Janny. :-)

By Jo on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 02:58 pm: Edit Post

My goodness this is so exciting I nearly went in to labour. I can't find any books that remotely interest me at the moment so i am on about my tenth reread since last Jan, bit sad really but i love these books.

By Blue on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 07:46 pm: Edit Post

Nearly went into labour? Wow, any Atheran names planned for your baby? :-O

By Jo on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 03:39 am: Edit Post

Unfortunatley not, my husband refuses to let me name the baby Arithon if a boy, so we are going for Kaiden for a boy and Kayleigh for a girl. I'm just hoping this baby will be as good as my daughter so when SF comes out I will actually be able to read it without too much interuption. Think my husband will be on baby duty

By Trys on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 06:31 am: Edit Post

Jo,

Interesting names and I'm always curious about the origins of names so....

I'm a fan of the British rock group Marillion who had a hit song called Kayleigh back in 1985. When I looked up Kaiden at wikipedia I was directed to information about a town in Lithuania.

I haven't found any other information on these names. What can you share and/or why these names? :-)

Trys

By HJ on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 06:40 am: Edit Post

My girls are called Katie, which derives from the Greek for "pure", and Sally which is a shortening of Sarah, the hebrew word for "princess". We would have liked Celtic names but didn't find any we were really keen on.

By Jo on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 02:40 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the interest Trys, Kayleigh means pure and is English, Caden (how it should be spelt) means spirit in battle and is Welsh. My husband and I can't decide on the spelling of this I do prefer Kaiden but it should be spelt Caden, so if it is a boy we'll decide when it is born.

By Trys on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:57 am: Edit Post

Jo,

Thanks.

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:25 pm: Edit Post

Really close to turn in now - only a matter of days, methinks...get ready to celebrate. It's been along haul.

But OH!!! wait till you see this BOOK!

And -- don't forget the fun precursor bit piece upcoming in the anthology, Under Cover of Darkness - not so long a wait for that one, now!

By Sandtiger on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post

Should be out in 9 days...

What a thought!

and GO Janny!!

Jana

By Winter on Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 10:28 pm: Edit Post

Yay! Do you just have the artwork to do now, Janny?

By Kimberly Israel on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 08:47 pm: Edit Post

You know, about this whole cutting/editing idea...that means there might be stuff going on in Athera that I never find out about...and I don't mind reading a 1500 page book...maybe editing is overrated ;-)

By BILLEEBEE on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 03:57 am: Edit Post

I agree with Kimberly!! Whenever I get my hands on a new arc I gobble up the content whole heartedly just like my Mum's cooking!! I suppose the re-reads are desert as you always find new tastes and surprises along the way in the stories. Of course the editing has been brilliantly done but can't help but think those little missing bits would make it even more flavoursome!!! Yumm I wonder what's for dinner in SF!! ha!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:18 pm: Edit Post

You aren't missing much - these edits only cut out redundancies, excess language, phrases that are unnecessary, but that, while drafting you put in because you are in construction mindset -

for example, "he reached out his hand and picked up" gets slashed to just, "he picked up"

Also refinements to the language, for more elegance, and pulling OUT some language, that, while pretty, detracts from the action...

trust me, it's all humdrum, braincracking nitpickery, and I'd as soon be done with it NOW.

grin - home stretch, anyway.

The Big Party will be next week. Now cross your fingers the editor is holding that pub date....I have worked as fast as I could!

By Hunter on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:29 pm: Edit Post

This is great news Janny.

And I think it vitally important to acknowledge not only Janny's efforts, but those that closely assist in the production of the final product, providing another set of eyes, hands, ears, etc. to make sure the book comes out just right!!

These are the folks who get a mention at the start of the book.

By Blue on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:37 am: Edit Post

On the other hand, I seem to recall that you once said you cannot create AND destroy at the same time - so rough drafts, tight roughs and final drafts are what it's all about.

Lord have mercy on your head, Janny! :-O

For my part, I really enjoy the final product, but the above is a great reminder that it is not so simple to sit down in front of a computer and bang out a book.

By Konran on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 04:27 am: Edit Post

Oh, you can sit down and bang out a book alright -- NaNoWriMo anyone? but there's no guarantee it'll be a *good* book. ;)