Archive through March 17, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through March 17, 2007
   By Angus F. Bickerton on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 03:36 pm: Edit Post

We Canadians get the same treatment as our Yank neighbours. So, when is the North American release?

I alwsys like the UK covers better. Why the difference?

If there is a huge difference in dates, I will order a UK copy. But, having not ever ordered books from overseas, does anybody have any advice on where to order from?

I have loved reading your stuff for years, Janny. I got hooked with your and Ray Feist's Empire series, but the Wars of Light and Shadow is something really special. This is masterpiece quality, not your garden-variety fantasy.

Never ever stop writing.

Spring arrived in Canada this week (finally).

Angus.

By Nathan on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:12 pm: Edit Post

As a UK resident, I'm happy to buy up a load of copies of Stormed Fortress at UK launch and list them on ebay for purchase by any transatlantic fans that can't wait for the USA launch.

I'd be happy to list them at retail price + postage costs.

Janny, would you object? Not sure where you stand on this and I'd obviously respect your input.

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:24 pm: Edit Post

With the recent furor over bootleg Harry Potter novels being sold over Ebay, and with Ebay stepping in for the first time ever & regulating this sort of stock, I'd be careful with selling Janny's books online, unless ye have a stamp of authenticity from the Bookstore ye bought it from or something...

Ye could lose your stock and money, for both parties. Look into it and find the options - just thought to point that out.

By Nathan on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:01 am: Edit Post

Hi Laneth,

I would expect ebay to have no problem with what I propose, I myself have reported unscrupulous sellers for trading in counterfeit goods.

From my experience, ebay only act when they have reason to believe that the seller is trading illegally.

As I propose to source 'Fugitive Prince' from a legitimate UK supplier I don't foresee this being a problem.

By Angus F. Bickerton on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:46 am: Edit Post

Nathan:

I just went on Amazon UK, and can only find a paperback to be released in November. Is this normal across the Pond, or did somebody just mess up.

I am willing to take a leap of faith and trust you with what you propose. I would only ask that the book be very carefully and properly packed, of course at my expense. Sign me up, man.

Do you have any experience with the second-hand sellers offered through Amazon? Are they decent? I am still looking for first UK prints (hardcover, of course) of "Curse of the Mistwraith" and "Ships of Merior".

By Nathan on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

Hi Angus, I have ordered a few books from second-hand sellers on Amazon and can only say it really depends on the individual whether they are reliable or not. Same as ebay really.

As for Amazon stocking the paperback in November, I would guess that is a typo as I'm almost certain that it will be hardback.

Packaging will not be a problem either as Amazon ship them in a nice sturdy cardboard which will stop any of the corners of the book being damaged in transit.

What we could do with really is someone in the states who would be willing to take delivery of all the books required at launch so that I would only have to post them to one address and could send them Priority Airmail with UPS or Fedex :-)

All this is subject to Janny's approval of course. There might be something that will inhibit us from doing this that I am not yet aware of.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:14 pm: Edit Post

A note about Stormed Fortress's release:

usually the trade paperback and hardbound are released simultaneously in the UK. The hardbound run is VERY SMALL, so it's best to order that early if you want it.

A book purchased (in multiples or not) from a reliable, up front source means the publisher gets paid, and so do I, for the honest effort set forth. I only have problems with people marking "up" for autographed copies (as a living author, I do that gratis).

As of now, there is nothing to announce for a US edition - or US distribution - changes to that status will appear here, first.

Many US readers did not find Traitor's Knot - presumably due to spotty distribution, on this end. There is an ongoing effort to correct the deficiency - all of which will impact Stormed Fortress.

I don't like to post information before firm dates and plans are in place...so it's wait and see, meantime.

Anyone with a credit card can, of course, order the book directly from amazon.co.uk to get the edition printed in Great Britain.

By Angus on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for clarifying the UK release stuff, Janny.

I checked Amazon.co.uk again, and they only have the paperback listed, so I cannot pre-order a hardcover, despite having a credit card or two. If anyone else has any luck with amazon.co.uk, great, and let me know!! I would be able to relax a bit, knowing that this book is eventually coming to my doorstep.

PLEASE NOTE: IT IS VERY HARD TO GET JANNY'S BOOKS IN NORTH AMERICA for some weird reason. It is easily the best fantasy series in decades (I believe since the Master himself), but you cannot find it here, except occasionally in Chapters (B & N in the States).

I agree, Nathan, that Amazon is really good at shipping books. And thanks for your kind offer. I guess we'll see if it's necessary.

Janny: any signing tours in Canada?

By Nathan on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 03:55 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Janny, that's good to know. I assumed that as www.amazon.COM doesn't ship to the UK, www.amazon.CO.UK wouldn't ship to the states, but I could well be wrong.

Can anyone in the states confirm if you can order a book to be delivered from www.amazon.co.uk?

Here's the link to Stormed Fortress:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormed-Fortress-Alliance-Light-Shadow/dp/0007217803/ref =pd_ka_1/203-6253159-9303132?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173991982&sr=8-1

You guys and girls in the states might be able to order it directly. Let me know how it pans out.

By Angus on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:00 pm: Edit Post

Nathan:

Just clicked your link, and it took me to the darned paperback. The content will be great, but I am a stickler for having a "real" book. So far, it's not panning out at all.

Remember, we Canadians aren't "in the states". We're north of 'em, eh?

Someone at amazon.co.uk could well use a little persuasion to get the right book on the shelf.

By Trys on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:28 pm: Edit Post

Nathan,

I've ordered many British edition books from amazon.co.uk without any problem.

Trys

By Leonie on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 04:30 pm: Edit Post

And they definitely post to Australia, so I'd just check, as I can't imagine they'd pass up a sale!!! :-)

Leonie

By Nathan on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 05:40 pm: Edit Post

Sorry Angus, no offence ment by generalising all you lovely transatlantic people. Love Canada by-the-way. I'd actually like to live there.

Good to hear that Amazon.co.uk do in fact ship to other countries. So it looks like there are options for Janny fans not living in the UK.

Based on what Janny has said it looks as if it is in fact the paperback version that Amazon are listing.

I will try and get a hold of any hardbacks that I see come up for sale for anybody that wants one. Not sure if I'll have any success but I'll let you all know if I get any.

Right, I'm off to go and have a look at the cover art the Trys has very kindly just put up on the site!!!! :-)

By Hunter on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:27 pm: Edit Post

Lots of good booksellers in Aust for the UK/Aust/NZ release.. have to check if the hard bound will be released in Oz.. mostly it's the trade paperback and then the mass market at a later stage..

By Winter on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 06:40 pm: Edit Post

I ordered TK from Amazon.co.uk, however it was the trade paper. I can't recall if there was a hardcover option. I had a friend buy and mail me the hardcover for FP, but I think Amazon has somewhat cheaper/faster shipping due to the bulk factor. I would expect Amazon to have at least a few hardcovers but may not list them for some time.

Angus, if you're in Toronto, it would be worth visiting Bakka. They specialize in Sci Fi/Fantasy and would probably give you better information on US vs Canada vs UK release dates in this case.

By Theresa on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:12 pm: Edit Post

Not only is there amazon.co.uk, but there is also WHSmith.co.uk and Pickabook.co.uk. I purchased TK from the latter, and have ordered books (Janny's and others) from all three. Since internet bookstores took off, I've never had any trouble getting books from the UK delivered to the US.

By Derek Coventry on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 05:54 am: Edit Post

Angus,
You could try ABEbooks.com; I've used them in the past for tracking down old out of print books that were missing from series I'd read years ago but never finished due to UK publishers only printing the first few books. They sell New and S/Hand and have 13,500 sellers from around the world and an efficient search engine. I entered Janny's Shadowfane, Hardback edition and got 30 hits. Mind you I still go to Amazon first for New editions.
Always wanted to travel around Canada but it's too late now, don't think my old bones could manage it; but my sister went last year. She loved it.

By skeoke on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:28 am: Edit Post

I've ordered several books from amazon.co.uk without any trouble. (Michigander)

IMNHO: I don't care if the UK version is printed on toilet paper, as long as I can read the work ASAP. I'll be ordering the US hardcover later. Have to support the author if we want the story!

By PurplePenny on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

Can I also recommend Blackwell Online? They are a long established Oxford company, still owned and run (after several generations) by the Blackwell family.

They have several of Janny's books including some American editions.
http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/search_results.jsp?searchType=keywords&page0 =2&override=&styleSwitch=&noscript=false&keywords=janny+wurts&catOID=-13176&bisa cCode=FIC&catalogue=ip&start=10&results=10&sort1=&page1=2&Prev.x=13&Prev.y=6&pag e2=2

By Angus on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

Skeoke:

You have a point. Still want the UK hardcover, though. I prefer the UK covers, though I love all of Janny's art.

Apparently those townborn marketers think that North Americans need a different cover.