Archive through April 20, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through April 20, 2007
   By Ben Crofts on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 05:30 pm: Edit Post

I drop out of sight for a few months and all this happens! ;-)

For those stateside, I don't see any reason why Amazon.co.uk wouldn't ship to the US, I've bought stuff from Amazon.com easily enough.

As to the HB / PB question: Book Depository also lists Stormed Fortress as PB, they don't do pre-orders though. The strange thing is, I had been buying the large paperbacks, it's a nice format, up until Traitor's Knot - then the HB of that was easier to find that the large paperback!

The other strange point, maybe to do with the US market, but generally it seems we get fantasy books earlier than the US. Maybe there's a greater level of dedication amongst UK fantasy fans, despite us being a small country!

Ben

By sheena on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 08:55 pm: Edit Post

just got onto Amazon and posted review. I have never bothered to do this before but will make sure to continue. can't wait for november!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 01:04 pm: Edit Post

Sheena - thank you!

By Dianthus on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 02:50 pm: Edit Post

I'm in the UK. I went into my local bookshop today and asked about Stormed Fortress. They told me it's now available in hardback at 18 and the paperback will be out in November at 7.99.

Much as I would love to buy the hardback, I'm currently out of work and 18 is a LOT of money for me so unless I get a job in the next few weeks I'm going to have to chew my fingernails in suspense for another 7 months - oh woe is me :-(.

By Angus on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 04:02 pm: Edit Post

Dianthus:

Are you sure?? This seems quite contrary to everythting that even the Grand Lady of Paravia has told us.

Has there been a slip? Can it be? I thought the cover art was just finished.

Dianthus, if you can get me that book, I'll buy it from you! I think everyone else in here would too.

This can't be real.

Angus.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 05:48 pm: Edit Post

As far as I know, the release date for Stormed Fortress is November 5, 2007.

That is the earliest it will be available.

By Hunter on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 06:48 pm: Edit Post

Dianthus - just check.. in some cases Traitor's Knot (which was originally Stormed Fortress before it was split) appears when you look for Stormed Fortress. Amazon.com still has this "feature".

As them to look for the right ISBN.. according to Amazon.co.uk, the paperback cover versions ISBNs for Stormed Fortress are:
# ISBN-10: 0007217803
# ISBN-13: 978-0007217809

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 05:20 am: Edit Post

Stormed Fortress IS NOT yet available in any form (except the MS).

By Angus on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 09:36 am: Edit Post

Well, then. There you have it. 6 months and 25 days to go...

By James Horton on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 05:59 pm: Edit Post

one quick question for people on here, i have all the books and my pre-order is with amazon for the paper back, i am running out of space with over 500 books on my shelves and with a kid on the way space is a premium, i am hoping that my baby will arrive after i have finished the book (due date 24th november btw)

but the question i have is that i would love to get copies of all the books in an electronic format such as microsoft reader so that i can put them onto my pda save me carting around some quite hefty books when i am away with work (3 books fill up your suitcase something terrible which is not uncommon for me to read in a week or two of being away)Are there any plans to make them available and what is the likely cost? (would pay up to 5 but as i have the books already paying a full price seems a bit much.)

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 06:23 pm: Edit Post

Ah, where are we?

Stormed Fortress:

IN PRODUCTION:: status, the copy edit of the book has just landed here for my review - I have till mid June. Plenty of time to make my final check, and fix anything that may have slipped through.

I've completed the REISSUE COVER PAINTINGS for Fugitive Prince, Grand Conspiracy, and Peril's Gate, too - they go out to the photographer's tomorrow, so, stay tuned, soon the website will preview them.

All that's left - the Map, chapter graphic, frontispiece/endpiece, in short, the interior black and white art for the November release of the newest volume.

And then: (enter, drumroll)

I get to play in Athera's back history for some crazy fun - a short work just to catch my breath beforrrrrre - (enter longer drumroll....)

The headlong start on the manuscript for Arc IV's first volume!!! (Gads, maybe we'll post a title for it!!!)

Fighting the good weather, meantime (sore temptation to do riding hookey) and also sailing hookey - (we get to crew on a topsail schooner from Key West to Green Turtle Key in the Bahamas....making landfall in time for a Pirate Fest.)

But first, to celebrate the finish of the cover works - a four day painting workshop OUTSIDE!

Is the author having too much fun, or what??? (grin)

(Ah, James Horton, sorry, at this moment there's no electronic format available)

By Neil on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 03:52 am: Edit Post

Arc 4's title...I cannot imagine...

What will the books of arc 4 for be called I wonder also?

Well let's say there are 3 books if characters run away with the plot to again so...anyone for:

- A new Starhope?
- The Empire (of kelewan) strikes back?
- Return of the beidar?

he he;-)

By Blue on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 03:52 am: Edit Post

Okay, how about a preliminary sketch of what a certain Masterbard is up to?

PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY, PRETTY PLLLLEEEEASSSEEEE???

(Did I grovel enough, Janny :-O )

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 06:44 am: Edit Post

*adds to Blue's grovelling*

By Angus on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:38 am: Edit Post

*already grovelled a while back about hints for Arc 4. Does so again, to echo Blue and Laneth Shadow-Walker(cool name, BTW)*

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

By motley on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 04:34 am: Edit Post

I'll buck the trend and beg:

PLEASE DON'T!!!!! :-)

Not until I have at least a copy of the new book in my grubby mits. When it comes out, I ignore the website COMPLETELY until I have had my read. It would just be horrible if Arc IV was revealed beforetime.

Pretty please don't? :-) I'm sure I'm not the only one?

By dee drew on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 04:42 am: Edit Post

november 5th is a great day to publish (remember remember) but seems a long way off. looks like a summer of re-reading. patience they say is a virtue!

By Angus on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 08:28 am: Edit Post

Don't worry, Motley. She won't reveal anything that would spoil our reading of SF. She hasn't done it before, and won't do it now. Janny will give us little tidbits here and there that just give more questions than answers. Janny takes a perverse pleasure in toying with us that way. In fact, if you go back in the chat archives, look at how she openly gloats when doing this sort of thing. She really enjoys it.

I'm fairly certain that Janny is a cat person (see website paravia.com). The cat and mouse games she subjects us to (ah, but don't we love it after all) get us thinking that we might know what's coming, only to slam us in a different direction with her left paw when we start reading, and then we are gently, yet forcibly, led to a conclusion at the end of her book that we never expected (at least, not the way it was achieved).

Thank God I am not a character in her books. Too much excitement. Brings to mind the old Chinese curse.

We won't know ANY spoiler material before November. She won't let it happen.

I think all of us will ignore the website in November until we finish reading SF.

By Kam on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

I am super happy about the new reissue covers. Part of the joy of collecting books is getting the matching covers so they look awesome on a bookshelf! :p

By James Horton on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 02:23 pm: Edit Post

i think sept/oct sounds a good time to sit and reread them all in anticipation of the new book, will reread the cycle of fire first and then start my big build up to the new book.