Archive through May 19, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through May 19, 2007
   By Janny Wurts on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:01 am: Edit Post

Latest word from On High at HarperCollins UK - they have cut the program - no hardbound edition is to be printed of Stormed Fortress.

This was not my decision. I have already fervently appealed to change the choice - to no avail.

I'm not sure what the future will hold, after Meisha Merlin's closure - rest assured, I will be checking into other opportunities, since I still hold the US rights. Something may pop in that quarter, but it will take time to sound for options.

Meantime, I would urge that readers support the trade paperback release in Britain - since that's what we have at the moment, it's best to keep that program going.

By DarthJazy on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:10 am: Edit Post

Is there an american release date as of yet? if the wait is too long i will order the paper back version and pay the shipping and handeling. Please let me know

Love ya all

By Theresa on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:14 am: Edit Post

Oh, man. That is most disappointing, Janny, but... as much as I shall miss dual US/UK hardcovers... or even one hardcover, I shall happily take what I can get. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

By Angus on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:57 am: Edit Post

Though I want to say something about damning them to Sithaer's furies, I shant. But this really sucks. The best fantasy series since the inception of the modern genre with LotR in the 1950's is getting bashed again, and not based on its merit, obviously.

The scope, majesty and moral power of the WoLaS are certainly in the tradition of the Master himself.

What about a write-in campaign?

By seljo on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:34 pm: Edit Post

Write-in to who? Meisha Merlin is going out of business so writing them does no good. Is Harper Collins US considered a separate business from UK and if so are there different management involved? If not -- then as Janny says, buying the UK version is probably the best 'write in' we can do -- they would see a proverbial ton of their UK stock going abroad... or another publisher in the US would see the interest and pick it up. Either way -- as anything -- money talks -- so buy the book, encourage your friends to buy the book -- volumes will go up, someone will want to make money and it will be on the shelves.

Otherwise... sadly... not...

Having said that, Janny's been in this business for a while and has a proven track record -- that should mean (hopefully?) finding another US publisher shouldn't be Insurmountable, right???

By Jo on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:21 pm: Edit Post

I have just pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. I normally go for the paper back versions as much easier to carry around. This may sound strange but not sure if h/b is that big in the UK find most people I know buy the paperbacks but I could be completely wrong I normally am!!

By Angus on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

I too have just pre-ordered my paper-back copy. Seljo has the right of it. I had been holding off waiting for the hardcover to be listed. If any of our chatroom companions are still holding off, pre-order right away.

Maybe they will change their minds and put this lovely book into the medium it deserves: leather-bound hardcover with gilded edges and embossed printing!!!

By DarthJazy on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

as soon as i can afford it i will preorder mine

By Blue on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 05:19 pm: Edit Post

Let's also remember that Janny AND WoLaS are survivors - the series has survived change of publishers, being "lost" and other publishing ghoulies.

My friend Jean, who just got her first two books published, said that Janny is known as a BNA - Big Name Author - and will likely have publishers lining up, because BNA are just that - they have a proven track record.

LOL - a pity WoLaS isn't a bit more smutty, because Jean got a pretty sweet deal for her series, which is fantasy-romance. However, getting Arithon's cooperation for such an endeavor might be well-nigh impossible!

Arithon: You want me to do WHAT, so you can get published with a fantasy romance publisher?
Janny: Oh, calm down! It won't be THAT bad.
Arithon: Elaira or no one, lady, and that is final!
Janny: Why not Lirenda?
Arithon: Let Dakar have her! He'll do ANY female if he's drunk enough!
Janny: (laughing) That's true, but YOU'RE the big draw.
Arithon: What about Lysaer? HE'S the "godlike, handsome" one.
Lysaer: True enough, bring on the ladies! (admires himself in a hand held mirror) What is YOUR complaint? When I'm off scene, sitting in my trailer, I keep hearing you, on scene, grousing about your love life.
Arithon: That's on the very rare occasions when you can tear yourself away from the throngs of swooning groupies.
Janny: Let's get back on track here - okay, going with a romance novel publisher, who wants to do the love scenes?
Lysaer: Me, me, me!
Arithon: Love scenes mean that there is someone else in the scene with you, it does NOT mean that you are going to do a ode to yourself.
Lysaer: You're just jealous that you didn't get MY godlike good looks!
Arithon: And you're just jealous because I don't have to spend a fortune on Clairol to keep my hair blonde.

By dee on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:14 am: Edit Post

WOW !!! - i tried hard not to read the synopsis posted by Hunter this morning- but my eyes developed a fearsome will of their own and forced my finger (protestingly)to scroll down the message - how am I going to get through this summer???

By Kitsune on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 03:48 pm: Edit Post

[quote]Latest word from On High at HarperCollins UK - they have cut the program - no hardbound edition is to be printed of Stormed Fortress. [/quote]

But... But...
MY BOOKSHELF! It cries out for a hardcover!

Ah, well.
As long as we get it in SOME form.

I'm ordering the PB, but am still holding out hope for a U.S. HC version, too.

Because, as mentioned, Janny is a BNA -and- a survivor!

Wow; this post used WAY too many acronyms! ;)

By hosanna on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 06:51 pm: Edit Post

I live in Australia. What is the best way to order the book a) for Janny b) for me to read it asap. Should I go through a bookshop and have them order it in or do Amazon or something from the UK?

By breathe on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 06:00 am: Edit Post

So do I :-)
by far the cheapest way to buy books is through Amazon, if you don't mind waiting for it to arrive (that's half the fun...) Even with the delivery & handling fees it's still *usually* cheaper than what you'd pay in a bookshop here in Australia.

Man, I haven't been in here for a while, but I'm glad I did tonight! Good work, Janny - roll on November! :D

By Lisa on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 05:14 pm: Edit Post

Hi guys
I'm a bit of a newbie.. been lurking for quite a while but only a post or two so i'm not sure if this is where i should be posting this.
I remember something about if in mankind/Athera's hour of greatest need someone was to walk up the steps leading to a building (cant remember exactly where) that something big would happen i.e salvation. and i think in TK when Arithon goes up against the necromancers davien checks the steps to see if anything is hapening there.
maybe this could have something to do with the ancient and most secretive bargain.
So does anyone else know what i'm talkng about or am i crazy and just grabbing at straws??

Cheers
Lisa

ps
sorry if that was a bit scattered i just finished working night shift :-)

By Matthew on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:56 am: Edit Post

Hi Lisa.

Thats intriguing, i don't remember that bit. i don't suppose you've got book/chapter references for this stairway stuff? i wouldn't mind taking a look at that.

I don't think you'll be hanged for posting here but the bargain is also being discussed over at

http://www.paravia.com/discus/messages/1544/2650.html?1178813582

By Andrew Ginever on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:27 pm: Edit Post

Hi Lisa

You are referring to the riddle left in the stones at Mainmere by the centaur mason Imaury Riddler. This comes from Grand Conspiracy when Asandir arrives at the ruins of Mainmere.

Welcome to the chat.
Andrew

By Janny Wurts on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 11:48 am: Edit Post

Hi Lisa - welcome too!

Of General Note to all: thosel of you who were outspoken and asking what could be done about shifting the cut to the hardback program for Stormed Fortress, and the general recovery of a North American publishing commitment in a positive way - here's an option to take action!

There is a forum that invites reader discussion of book titles, primarily aimed at sharing books with other readers looking to find stuff they might like to try - a wonderful person just posted an inquiry to me in the Author's Corner, under the thread regarding a picture for a site called LibraryThing.

Read on down that thread - try out the links - see if you'd like to participate. The fellow who posted is a lone voice, for our titles, and he'd like to have some company. And, there seems to be a nice stream of discussion about books - many of which you might like to discover to read while your'e at it.

Certainly an erudite review or two would be of invaluable addition to round out a balance to what's already been posted.

By Angus on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 12:47 pm: Edit Post

Janny:

Got a link?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 01:59 pm: Edit Post

Angus - posted in the Author's topic thread for LibraryThing.

Both the intro page, how to register, and the author's page with titles and review liniks listed.

Seemed redundant to repost them here, and out of context to the discussion, you'd lose some bits of info - but let me know if you need it convenienced. I understand about short time!

By Dianthus on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 02:35 pm: Edit Post

I was DEFINITELY going to buy the paperback version anyway, but it's a bad thing all round about Harper Collins and Meisha Merlin - thank God for Amazon!

Let's hope someone else takes up the series soon. When and how is the trade paperback to be released? Let me know and I'll rush off and buy it as soon as it comes out.