Archive through July 23, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through July 23, 2007
   By Janny Wurts on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 09:48 am: Edit Post

Hey there - although I have yet to have a beer of the caliber of "Old Bastard" that was once brewed in a tiny pub in Dartmoor -- we Americans do have microbreweries - many of them - and they make very nice red ales, thank you very much. The added alcohol would be wasted on me, as I'm a cheap date. (grin)

The Guiness Stout you have in Dublin is the ONLY way to do it. To bring it in, here, they boil the stuff to reduce the alcohol content within legal limits...and - it tastes burnt! Besides, I doubt it travels well. The stuff you get in Dublin is a whole other animal.

With regard to Canadian beers - a pal from the Great White North once sent Don some Bradoor's - and well, you have to hear to story to believe it. (grin). The alcohol content was a bit of a surprise. grin.

By Aria on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

Finally someone else remembers "Old Bastard". :D

By Brian Uri! on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:19 am: Edit Post

Congrats on the milestone, Janny! Thanks for the email as well -- I will add the info to the Wiki.

Regards,
BU

By Derek Coventry on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:06 am: Edit Post

My apologies to all small brewers everywhere; I was in a mischievous mood earlier. the irony is I can no longer enjoy beer in the quantity I once quaffed due to my poorer health but I was a Stout drinker for many years from my teens until soaring blood pressure caused a change of brew. I have probably sampled 'Old Thunder', there are several 'Real Ales' with similar names and they have quite a following. Wouldn't like any chilled though, it would ruin the taste!
Oh and Angus, Oktoberfest could translate as Utopia.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:28 am: Edit Post

In the cooler climate in the UK, not chilled is just fine. In the older pubs, not centrally heated - not chilled would amount to cool. In Florida, on a low nineties summer day - beer at 93 degrees F just doesn't cut it. Cool beer is a must.

You know what the British say of American Beer (aka the "major breweries" -- it's like a canoe. A little too close to the water....and that's the truth.)

Personally, we avoid the stuff.

By GOLLUM on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:36 pm: Edit Post

So Janny, when is Stormed Fortress scheduled to be released. Anyone???

By GOLLUM on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:40 pm: Edit Post

AH..looking at Amazon UK it comes out on Nov 5. Is this the final book in the series as allluded to by the synopsis?????

By Brian Uri! on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 09:18 pm: Edit Post

Hi Gollum,

This is the final segment of the Third Story Arc (Alliance of the Light), and there are two story arcs left. You can see how the books match up to the arcs here:

http://www.paravia.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Wars_of_Light_and_Shadow#Story_Arcs

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 02:45 pm: Edit Post

Page Proofs are here.....my last stage of participation in the production process....another step closer.

And I did get two detail maps into the mix. Helpful.

And same time - page proofs for the NEW ATHERA SHORT STORY due out very near to the time of Stormed Fortress - announcement for that shortly - watch for it!

By Seregil on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 03:29 am: Edit Post

Hi all,

this is my first time posting here and i just wanted to say thank you soooo much for this awesome series :-) I've been looking forward to the next book so much it hurts.

I do have a quick question though. I love to get the hardcover versions of these books for my collection, but everywhere i see Stormed Fortress for preorder sale, it lists it only as paperback (i live in the US)... Did i miss the hardback release, or are the sites just wrong? I'm even willing to order overseas if that can get me one, but again i don't even see it listed as hardcover on the uk site (amazon) :-(

Please let me know if i can still or will be able to still get it :-)

By Trys on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 06:00 am: Edit Post

Hi Seregil,

WElcme to the board. The following is a post from earlier in this thread:

quote:

By Janny Wurts on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:01 am:

Latest word from On High at HarperCollins UK - they have cut the program - no hardbound edition is to be printed of Stormed Fortress.

This was not my decision. I have already fervently appealed to change the choice - to no avail.

I'm not sure what the future will hold, after Meisha Merlin's closure - rest assured, I will be checking into other opportunities, since I still hold the US rights. Something may pop in that quarter, but it will take time to sound for options.

Meantime, I would urge that readers support the trade paperback release in Britain - since that's what we have at the moment, it's best to keep that program going.

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:18 am: Edit Post

Hi Seregil -

Welcome here, and thanks for your nice words.

Re: the "no hardback" status - Meisha Merlin has closed its doors.

In Britain - I am still assimilating this....the decision to eliminate the hardback was a failure of numbers, but - when I pursued what the actual figures were .... the issue may still be kicking. It's late in the schedule, but we haven't gone to press, YET, with the book scheduled on November 5 07 release, at the outside chance, there could still be wiggle room to manoeuver.

If there are to be changes, (hope for that miracle) I will post the facts here. It's nice to know there are readers who are willing to keep up their support.

Make your opinions known. This counts.

Past any question, the contents of Stormed Fortress will not let you down! There has not been a better book, period. If I sound cocksure - well, I know what I put into this title, as the last volume of the Alliance of Light arc. It delivers everything with every bit of the punch I intended. And more.

By jpltzld on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 08:13 pm: Edit Post

Seregil I was just wondering where you came up with your name for this forum.

By Alan Randall on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:05 am: Edit Post

As a first post here I would just like to say that I say that I decided to "make my opinion known" and preorder. Amazon UK still has it listed as a hardback so that is what I ordered. I look forward to the story no matter what it is printed in though. I will have to wait a bit for it to arrive in Texas but what is an extra week.

Keep up the good work.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

Hi Alan -

Welcome Here - and thank you for your generosity (by posting of your support) and for your commitment, with enthusiasm. It means alot, I can tell you.

By Trys on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

That is very interesting. When I placed my orders for Stormed Fortress at amazon.co.uk the page definitely stated paperback (which at this stage means what we here in NA call a trade paperback). Now the book, including my orders, are listed as Hardback. This could be excellent news.

By Kimberly Israel on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 03:55 pm: Edit Post

Oh, goody! I would definitely prefer a hardback! (Of course, what I would really prefer is the American hardback with a new painting of Arithon, but I'll take what I can get!)

By Alan Randall on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 05:11 pm: Edit Post

Trys,

I calculated out the cost and it is around $17 USD, about right with the discount depending on what the cover price would be for the hardback edition. I hope that it has been changed to a hardback for real just as Ms. Israel does.

Thank you for the warm welcome and have a good week, I am going off shift and on vacation.

By Blue on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 06:05 pm: Edit Post

Making our opionions known to the powers that be:

Janny, is there an e mail address or a particular person we should search for in this?

I would certainly like to put my own $.02 in, but I don't know WHERE that would be.

Oh, and by the way, I will restrain myself and remain polite. I don't think threats to entrails would really go over that well.

By Andrew Ginever on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 09:46 pm: Edit Post

I checked my Amazon order and agree with Trys. The order and book page are definitely showing Hardcover now. Of course, that might mean Amazon had loaded Trade Paperback by accident onto the Hardback page, rather than that a Hardback will be forthcoming but we can certainly hope. I'm sure the numbers must have been good for the last book. How do we tell the bean-counters in the UK that there is no US hardback coming out in competition this time and that, therefore, if they're trying to forecast Stormed Fortress hardcover sales from Traitor's Knot that their numbers will be significantly understated?

For those of you in Australia/NZ, you might be interested to know that Hunter got a reply from HarperCollins Australia with a claimed release date for Stormed Fortress in stores of October 24.