Archive through August 03, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through August 03, 2007
   By Seregil on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:14 pm: Edit Post

In regards to your question jpltzld...i use names of characters from all sorts of books i like :-) I've found that it is hard to find a character's name that isn't being used by someone though, so in this case the name i'm using is from a series called The Nightrunner series :-)

(to anyone that knows whom i'm talking about....i don't have the same interests...but the name is nice ) lol

By Hunter on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:21 pm: Edit Post

HC Aust only showing trade paperback to date.

Amazon UK ISBN - HC 978-0007217809
Voyager UK (Fantasy arm of Harper Collins UK) ISBN - TPB 978-0-00-721780-9
Harper Collins AU ISBN - TPB - 9780007217809

All the same ISBN, trade paperback format on the publishers' sites, hard cover on Amazon UK. I would expect a HC version to have a different ISBN.

By jpltzld on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:01 pm: Edit Post

I knew exactly where you got the name from because I have read each of the Nightrunner books three or four times! lol, I just wanted to make sure.

By Wayne on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:41 am: Edit Post

My guess by looking at the prices of some others in the UK site that I am thinking about, it is the trade paperback still. The discounted prices for the other harbounds are more in price by at least 5 to 7 pounds.

I know of a title in my cart on US site kept changing from book to audiobook seemed like every other day.

By Jo on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:41 am: Edit Post

To be honest I presumed in the uk that all books came out in h/b then about 6 months to a year the p/b are out. Never presume anything H/b are about 16-18.00 normally.
Unfortunately we don't get the pics of Arithon in our books which is a shame.

By Trys on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 06:49 am: Edit Post

Jo,

In the past HarperCollinsUK published the hardcover and trade paperback simultaneously as they are essentially the same book with a different binding. Then around a year later the masss market paperback (smaller book) is produced.

Trys

By Hunter on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 08:00 am: Edit Post

For some authors published in Australia (e.g. CJ Cherryh), the sequence is more like:

1. Hard cover released - cost $50-60.00
2. 3-6 months later - trade paperback is released. cost ~$30.00
3. 6-12 month slater - mass market paperback released, cost $18-19.00

Some of course are only released as mass market and some, like Janny, get trade paperback first, then mass market a year or so later.

By Kimberly Israel on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:09 am: Edit Post

Along the lines of really wanting the book with the portrait painting... Janny, if you run out of things to do (ha!) and want to paint the Stormed Fortress portrait anyway, maybe you could sell prints - I'd buy one!

(Oh, and Mr. Randall, you can call me Kimberly. Ms. Israel is my teacher name ;-)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 09:36 am: Edit Post

Hi Everybody - wow, miss logging in and what do I find???

grin.

On writing to make your feelings known, for any product, most companies have a website.

On the portrait style covers - well, I DO know what I'd paint for the US image, and we do have a large format printer getting up and running....look under MISCELLANEOUS, and look for the print thread, I have posted PRELIMINARY price structure - looking for feedback. I would like to do this painting - and I plan to - but the load on the writing table is a bit thick at the moment, for a lot of reasons. I'll keep you posted - there could be some fun surprises!

And I am still at work on solving what will happen with this book.

Genuinely, thanks. Your support and enthusiasm is truly heartwarming.

By Lauren on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:25 pm: Edit Post

I believe I'm a first time poster, although I've "lurked" for a while. I'm a long-time fan, as I've been reading the series since 1997 book by book...everytime I mean to post I get interrupted/called away/ timed out...

I've just preordered from the UK as well...

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:25 pm: Edit Post

Whew, boy, a huge sigh of relief - my part in the production of Stormed Fortress is at last DONE! The last page proof corrections turned in ---

And - yes, unequivocally - the appendix material from the USA edition of Traitor's Knot will be included in the British edition of Stormed Fortress. What a gift - the book is already very long. It's a kindness to have been able to include the extra pages.

NOW - on to other things. Some reading for fun, for one thing! I just got a stack of new books - and - a stack of new cds, to kick start the juices for the new writing that I can resume, now, in the clear.

If anybody wants to join the book discussion (of To Ride Hell's Chasm) on LibraryThing.com (in the Green Dragon) do join us!

By Jo on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 01:21 pm: Edit Post

Janny you are the best. I and all the UK readers will really appreciate the gift you have bestowed upon us and I appreciate the extra effort you have put in. Enjoy your reading and cd's you def deserve the break

By DarthJazy on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:26 am: Edit Post

even though im too broke to pre order the book yet we americans love ya and all you do Janny.

By Angus on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:56 am: Edit Post

DarthJazy:

Hey man! Cut down on your WoW budget, and spend money on the important stuff! The book is about $30.00 in US greenbacks, including shipping.

You will be much happier as a result, come November, when you have to avoid all the spoilers in this area!

By Lyssabits on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 01:06 pm: Edit Post

Well, to be fair, $30 pays for at least two months worth of WoW. As great as Janny's book will be, it's not going to last for two months. ;) For me, it'll be amazing if it lasts more than two days. Can't put them down! As a fellow WoW player, I feel compelled to defend the hobby.

I pre-ordered the book, but sort of under duress. I'd really rather the American edition for a *variety* reasons, none of which are cost. Which means I'll probably end up buying both. ;) But I am worried enough about the ultimate availability of the book in the US that I'll shell out for the UK edition. However, if they're not correct about it being a hardback after all (and I do wonder about that, 8.50 pounds seems a little on the cheap side for a hardback, and the product page is back to saying paperback, though it said hardback when I put my order in), it's going to be the most expensive paperback I've ever owned. ;)

Besides, one almost always have to avoid spoilers. The UK edition has always come out first, with each book the Americans have to avoid spoilers. Last time it was for a pretty lengthy amount of time, given the lag between the UK and Meisha Merlin editions.

By Angus on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

No, her book will not last two months. It will last forever! You can read these books again and again, and still discover new things. This is going to be a BIG book, so two days might be optimistic for the first read, but because it is devoured so quickly, I'll flip right backt to the beginning and do a nice slow read (about a month) to pick up on the bits that I missed.

Kind of like savouring a fine wine, you sip it. Nice cold beer, you gulp. Janny's books are the best of both, because you get the instant satisfaction of gulping, followed by the warm and steady enjoyment of a jolly good read. The only bad part of this is I don't get the book until November 12 at the earliest, perhaps later, so I have to add seven days to my countdown. I'm not going near this chat until November 20!!

Three months, nine (two for UK, Aus, NZ) days (at least) and counting...

I'm sorry, but WoW cannot compete in any way, shape or form.

Janny is just way to good an author to let that happen.

ORDER THE BOOK, DJ! You owe it to your pitiable Lysaer-loving self!

By Trys on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:22 pm: Edit Post

Lyssabits,

It is a trade (large format) paperback as opposed to a mass market (small format) paperback.

Trys

By Angus on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:54 pm: Edit Post

Yeah, it's a trade paperback, so it has some "shelvability" (sorry to the grammar freaks (I am one) for the invented word).

ORDER THE BOOK. EVERYONE. This boosts numbers and results in more favourable treatment from publishers on both sides of the pond. There might not be a hard back in the UK, but we may get one in North America. Then you UK enthusiasts could get a nice character-focussed cover!

SO PRE-ORDER THE BOOK. It's only 8.99 (UK pounds (I don't know how to get the "pound" symbol on-line)), which is about $18.00 US, $19.00 Cdn (woo hoo, our dollar is finally kicking butt!), plus the shipping. Thirty bucks for amazingly wonderful, sin-and-guilt-free pleasure!

And hey, your kids get to see you reading. How is that not being a good role-model? Beats them seeing you playing WoW for hours on-line, wondering why you're not teaching them to ride a bike or something (sorry, that was an unfair jab, but there it is).

PRE-ORDER THE BOOK! NOW!

By Brian Uri! on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 02:56 pm: Edit Post

Though I would love to see more people reading WoLaS, I do have a guilty gladness that it's not mainstream -- there's no Harry Potter syndrome with spoilers every which way you turn!

By Lyssabits on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 03:00 pm: Edit Post

Thanks, Trys, that does make me feel somewhat better about my purchase. ;) $16 is kind of outrageous for mass market, but for trade, that's good. Still, American edition always has such pretty, pretty covers.

Hee hee, I agree, Brian.. I haven't read any of the Potter books yet, but it's nigh well impossible for me to try and remain spoiler-free.

Seriously, Angus, I really wish you'd stop denigrating some people's choice of hobby. How people choose to spend their time and money is no one's business but theirs. I really do think that making value judgments about what people find enjoyable is pretty insulting. Having spent years being told by my peers in school that reading fantasy was "a waste of time", I'm sure you can sympathize with my sentiment that what is or is not a waste of my time really should be up to ME.