Archive through September 05, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through September 05, 2007
   By Kitsune on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 01:32 pm: Edit Post

My pleasure.
I'm happy to do my part; it's an easy step, and it may help! :-)

Enthusiasm IS infectious, as you say.

And (not to take anyting away from Jordan or Martin, both of whom I read and largely enjoy!!), but there ARE other writers than "The Big Two". (As I said, I'm fortunate that my local chain has a reasonable selection of small-print books along with the larger releases.)

And I'm curious how:

A) The "No US release" affects US chains ordering the PREVIOUS books in the series, if at all.
B) When browsing a bookstore, do people see more "WoLaS" books, or Janny's other works? Or is it about even? (Personally, I see copies of the "Cycle of Fire" omnibus, "To Ride Hell's Chasm", and the "Daughter of the Empire" series on a fairly-regular basis, but rarely do I see any "WoLaS" books.. )

By Angus on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 02:49 pm: Edit Post

Kitsune:

In answer to question B, I regularly see the "Empire" series. I almost never see anything that is WoLaS, and I haven't seen anything w.r.t. "Cycle of Fire" in years. I read it and "Empire" back in the 90's.

Now, to be fair, I live in a small town in Eastern Ontario in Canada. When I am in Ottawa, Toronto or even Montreal, the chances of a Wurts novel sighting increase dramatically, but they nevertheless remain rare birds in my neck of the woods (no pun intended, and sorry for dragging out that bird-watching metaphor. No, I am not a member of the Audubon Society).

My best guess as to question "A" is that as long as a book is in print in North America, then a book seller can order it, and the lack of a recent release would not be an impediment to selling the earlier books. The lack of the current release would, however, create a difficulty for marketing the previous books.

Picture the typical Jordan stack, with the new release surrounded by the previous eleven books in paperback. Old readers of the series will buy the new release regardless, but a new reader would be able to pick up the "Eye of the World" if it is there and the display is done right, and would be encouraged by the fact that the series is ongoing. Now picture that Jordan new release, without any of the previous books in the store. The new reader doesn't have a chance to enjoy the series, seeing that it is no. 12 of the series, and they are not as inclined to go find the first novel in the shelves (if it is there).

WHEN SF comes out in North America, it would be better for its sales to have the previous novels marketed with it for the benefit of new readers. I just introduced a new friend to CotMW. I'll let you know the results (like I need a crystal ball to know that he'll love it. HAH!)

I'll ask at my FLBS (Leeds County Books - gloriously independent) about any impediments to ordering WoLaS.

By Annette on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 07:56 pm: Edit Post

When I went into a bookstore a couple of months ago the manager asked me what sci fi books I would recommend and I told her about the WOLS series and said that it is really hard to find them on the shelf at any bookstore. A couple of weeks later there were two copies each of FG and SOM. But there were only those two and they were gone by the end of the next month. So there is a market if people can get ahold of them. I don't know if the manager could only order those two titles though. It would seem as though if she could have ordered the rest she would have. But the next day at another bookstore I frequent I saw two TP copies of TK and by the end of the next month those two were gone. So I am not sure why bookstores are not stocking the titles as there is an audience for them.

By DarthJazy on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:55 am: Edit Post

Here in Tucson Arizona I see about equel of jannys books. I frequent a place called bookmans which sells and trades used books and on occasion will find jannys books their but not often. The new book stores carry a wide range of her stuff and each month it varies.

By Julie Hevezi on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:50 am: Edit Post

Long time lurker, first time writer..
I came across the CotMW in a used bookstore years ago and easliy found the subsequent books. I bought the last 2 when they were published and eagerly await SF.
THe well stocked long series such as Jordan and Martin(far superior) come with national media"best selling author" or "award" labels proudly displayed on almost every edition. While the acknowlegment may be for only one of the books it works well as PR. I find many of the series (i.e. Jordan) to be promising but quickly devolve into lazily written, repetative books with stagnant personalities. They use the cheap trick of introducing many new characters instead of developing or dropping existing ones. Despite the mediocre writing they are popular because they are easy to read. Another example of poor writing but easy to read is Dan Brown.
Janny has remained consistent in her style and complexity which takes a good reader to really enjoy. I think this may be why she is not as popular despite this international loyal following.
I'm sorry that SF will not be sold in the US but I have arranged for relatives in England to send me a copy. In the meantime Janny how about another excerpt? November is still a ways off.

By Angus on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 01:06 pm: Edit Post

HEAR, HEAR! Let's have another excerpt. Janny, I know that you will not do spoilers, just pure tease, of course.

Your readers are all gluttons for punishment. " 'Cause a taste of honey is worse than none at all..." Smokey Robinson sure was right.

By DarthJazy on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 02:19 pm: Edit Post

TEASER TEASER TEASER TEASER *chants all day long*

By Daryl Bamforth on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

/wave Janny .. I always come by every week or so just to catch up on everything, and I live in the UK so I will have (and probably finish) SF the day it gets posted through my door! :-) (and if somehow it ends up on the shelves first I will have 2 copies, I have been waiting too long already :P) I just feel bad for all your readers in the US who are not as lucky.

Daryl

By Blue on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 11:26 am: Edit Post

Don't rub it in, Daryl!

Signed,

An Envious American

;)

By Janko S. on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 03:07 am: Edit Post

Hmmm, this might sound a bit silly, but I'm neither from USA or UK so I don't know how things are. If a book is not available in US, what keeps people from just logging on to the UK version of amazon and ordering it from there?
I mean, they have the delivery rates for North America on their website so doesn't that mean that they ship worldwide? Or is the problem in covers, because for some reason US edition tends to have people on covers while UK edition tends to have landscapes. Which brings me to another question, why does UK get landscapes and US people, is it a cultural thing?

By Trys on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:13 am: Edit Post

quote:

If a book is not available in US, what keeps people from just logging on to the UK version of amazon and ordering it from there?

Essentially nothing but by preference it may be lack of credit card.

quote:

Which brings me to another question, why does UK get landscapes and US people, is it a cultural thing?

If memory serves Janny has indicated that it has been the publishers who have indicated a preference on the subject matter of the covers.

Trys

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:42 am: Edit Post

There's a few things I think that keep people from ordering from the UK:

1) Like Trys said, lack of credit card.
2) The price difference. Not only is it more expensive, but your credit card adds a transaction fee since it has to convert from dollars to pounds. (I think, this was certainly the case when I was *in* the UK buying things.)
3) The different covers.. a surprisingly big disincentive for me. Although I did order the UK version in this case, I also have the UK edition of Peril's Gate and am sad about the lack of Arithon. Then again I think I have an unnatural attachment to cover art. I've been on a quest to buy all the books I checked out from the library and loved as a kid, and I get really sad when I see that the new edition has new art. (Well, most of the time. There are a few favorite series I'm going to rebuy because the new art is better.)
4) The differences in formatting. Maybe this only bothers me, but I'm anal like that. My Peril's Gate edition had only single quotation marks instead of double ( ' instead of ") for dialogue and it drove me up the wall the entire book.
5) Loyalty. Some people are more inclined to buy US versions of things.
6) Vendor. Some people really don't like Amazon. ;) Or any big retailer, and would prefer to buy it from their little neighborhood bookstore.

By Trys on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:28 pm: Edit Post

Lyssabits,

I'm going to nitpick here so I apologize in advance if I ruffle any feathers.

All of your added reasons listed are valid reasons as to why someone would not 'want' to buy the British edition, but none of them 'prevent' someone from buying the British edition. (I do realize that this is splitting semantic hairs.) :-)

Here are my comments to some of the points:

2) Very valid right now as the dollar is WAY down against the pound. But if you want/must have the book... currently you order the British version or wait...

4) This used to bother me but I it is possible to train the eye/brain to ignore this... it's the British spellings that get to me. :-)

6) I am one such person. I prefer to support my local business or small family owned business over the big chains... but sometimes it just isn't possible.

Trys

By PurplePenny on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

Try Blackwells instead - still a family owned and run business here in Oxford (and being put out of business by the likes of Amazon).

Cover art - it is a cultural thing. Here in the UK covers with people as the main subject are usually the preserve of cheapo trashy stuff and soppy romances. "Serious" fiction doesn't have the kind of cover that you have on the US editions.

BTW - it's US spellings that annoy me :-) Single and double quotation marks are both used but there is a strict hierarchy to the order and manner of their use.

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

Heheh, I chose to read Janko's question as to what keeps us poor Americans as, "What reasons would cause someone to not just order the UK edition", since the answer to the more literal reading is, "Nothing" and I think the underlying problems are more complex. Since there's actually hardly any barriers to us purchasing the UK edition, without taking the other reasons I mentioned into account, it makes no sense that we wouldn't just order the UK edition. In fact, it makes no sense that there'd ever be multiple editions of any book in the same language, if you really think about it, given how easily things are internationally distributed these days. But there are definite differences in the editions (as there should be), and so if I had another choice, I think I'd wait. ;) However as soon as it's published here, I'll buy that one and give away the UK edition. What an ingenious scheme! (I kid, I kid.. ;) )

I actually don't mind the British spellings, for some reason. I don't feel the need to bust out my editor's pen nearly as much. But man, the punctuation.. *twitch*

Like they say, when being asked questions and you don't get the question you wanted to answer.. answer it anyway. Working with academics is a treat sometimes.

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:49 pm: Edit Post

BTW - it's US spellings that annoy me :-) Single and double quotation marks are both used but there is a strict hierarchy to the order and manner of their use.

They use both here as well, I think they must just be applied with different rules. Here I'm used to seeing double quotation marks for regular dialogue, and the single quotation mark when a character is directly quoting another person.. dialogue within dialogue. Is it the same in the UK, only the other way around?

By Angus on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 04:07 pm: Edit Post

Boy, and I thought I was a grammar freak! :-)

Now to have a really quality discussion on parentheses, you must compare them.

Let's see the different kinds side-by-side. And I'll ask Janny for forgiveness in advance for any artistic licence. Arithon gets ', and Lysaer gets ".

Picture Arithon in a conversation with Lysaer, after the mistwraith is completely defeated/cured/whatever, and they are cured of the curse, and sipping beer and eating crab legs aboard the Khettienne. Also, they are much more relaxed than we have ever seen them :-):

'Lysaer, you were a real jerk for the last five hundred years, but I forgive you, bro'. By the way, your banners for your Light religion thing, like, they were mega sick, man.'

"Thanks, Ari. Sorry about that, but I was really screwed up, like I had a constant hangover. I'm still really bummed out, dude."

' 'S okay, man. Chill, and have another crab leg. We'll hit the beach soon.'

"Excellent, dude! You gonna play any tunes later?"

Now that you have seen them side-by-side, you can truly decide.

There is also the Spanish <>. However, it messed up this post too much. Yet, the Spanish is so...je ne sais quoi!

Cheers!:-):-):-):-):-)

By DarthJazy on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 04:28 pm: Edit Post

Being a child of the internet grammar doesn't bother me. As long as I understand it im ok. Then again angus has been on me for months now about my grammar :P I just want an american addition do to money reasons. I'd rather pay 8 dollars for book than 50.

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 06:59 pm: Edit Post

For me personally, if it came down to a matter of dollar value only, I'd pick the higher value each time if it meant that the author would get a higher percentile in commission or royalty or whatever it's called.

With publishing costs, advertising and circulation taking a chunk of the RRP, the author is generally left with little 'per-book' as income (from what I've been told).

I try to buy directly from the musician or author as often as I can so that they get the money directly, rather than it filtering through the system.

By Derek Coventry on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 02:56 am: Edit Post

I do love discussions on grammar, (I'm far from perfect!) and the different spellings. I like to think the Queen's English is the correct version. Everything else is slang!
I will admit to hating textspeak or whatever it's called and DarthJazy, as long as you understand it being OK is OK if you're the only one reading it.
Of course with Janny being the Queen of Fantasy, her prose is faultless!