Archive through September 13, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through September 13, 2007
   By Lyssabits on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 01:56 pm: Edit Post

Should've, Blue, I believe is correct. Saying I should of known better isn't quite right, although that's what the contraction sounds like when you say it. I think it is more correct to say, "I should have known better" in which case the contraction makes perfect sense. You could've had a V8! ;) I think someone saying should of would drive *me* crazy.

No the one that bugs me most is the fact that a lot of folks get the your and you're wrong, also their, they're and there, but I'm NEVER going to win that battle.

By Dirdle on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 04:28 pm: Edit Post

Hmmm...I always thought my first post here would be about spelling/grammar or food, and I've been given a chance to have both.
Pacific/specific really grates my nerves, as well as all the aforementioned errors. Using 'an' and 'a' the wrong way, too.
I'm going to annoy everyone by saying that I neither love nor hate marmite. It's so-so. OK. Not bad. Satisfactory.
*Buried under a swarm of Marmite haters and marmite lovers alike, all of them screaming that it is blasphemy not to love or hate it*
OK...I like Marmite...love it, even...
*The Marmite-lovers calm down, but the Marmite-haters attack with three times the ferocity of before, worsening the situation overall*
Oh, this hurts SO MUCH...Why didn't I see this coming?!
Well, since I've jumped into the middle of a fray that makes rugby seem like a game based on flower-arranging, I might as well worsen things as much as I can before retreating.
I really don't like dogs. At all. All of them. Not just as a pet-peeve either. Dogs and their owners are one of the banes of my life. I'm an antitheistic, cynical, elitist pseudo-intellectual. I might cower later, but my outward modesty belies my inner arrogance and contempt. I believe the human race should voluntarily stop breeding, so as to ensure it's own peaceful extinction, to the benefit of the planet. I needlessly overcomplicate and endlessly procrastinate.
Hmmm...well, you certainly can't say I haven't warned you, but I can't help but feel that listing my faults and points of contention is possibly getting off on an extremely wrong foot, not to mention pushing this even further off-topic.

Hi, I'm Dirdle. It's a pleasure to meet you all.

By Trys on Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 05:18 pm: Edit Post

Welcome to the board Dirdle... interesting introduction. :-)

Trys

By Derek Coventry on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 05:26 am: Edit Post

I think a lot of the confusion with affect and effect is because affect appears to have several meanings; you might say one could affect the effect! How about an example of an effective affectation?
Oh and I love Marmite and despise dog haters; and while I accept the evolvement of language I do wish the Dictionary compilers would not be so hasty to include every new slang term so quickly as these terms often have a very limited shelf life!

By dee on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 08:32 am: Edit Post

hiya - sorry to go back a fair way in the discussions - been catching up. I love Eddie Zed. Do you think that sorcerers of yore could write their titles "WZ"?? - love marmite!

By Angus on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 09:25 am: Edit Post

Dirdle, welcome to the board! I agree with Trys, a very interesting introduction. Honesty is always very cool, and it saves a lot of time.

My labrador retriever thinks so too. No creature is more honest than a dog. They just can't lie! If they like you, you know it. If they don't, you know it. The simplicity of the relationship with canus domesticus versus the lying mass of humanity (extinction by being virtuous? HAH!) is refreshing in the extreme. There is a lot that humans could learn from dogs.

My biggest peeves in language: "irregardless" (no "ir". period. ever) being used instead of "regardless"; people who say "nucular" instead of "nuclear" and the use of "orientate" instead of "orient".
One "orients" oneself by using "orientation". "Orientate" is not a word.

I'd love to give George W. Bush diction lessons:

"The word is 'nuuuuke - leee - aaarrr'. From the base word 'nucleus'. That's 'nuuuuke - leeeee- usss'."

Hey, I even got ' and " in that one!

"Accept" and "except" are toughies for a lot of people, and really speak to a need for a grammar module late in high school. Fortunately, I had one. The trouble is, that makes me a grammar nerd.

Hey, where's the teaser?!?

By Dirdle on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:19 am: Edit Post

Oooh, teaser! YAY!

I think I'd opt for a critical thinking module over a grammar one, but they're both desperately needed. People just don't seem to care about how they say things or how to decide what their opinions are anymore.
It's almost a matter of "Flip a coin. If heads - oppose hunting! If tails - support hunting! If you so desire, and it's possible to do so, you can simply copy from what your parents thought and what the trend is at the time instead." Then they phrase it badly and abbreviate words that don't need or want it and misspell everything else...

No. Seriously, no. I've been involved in enough cat vs dog arguments to last a lifetime. The two sides are just too evenly balanced for anything beyond personal preference to decide it.

Oh, another problem with language these days - tautologies. 'Head chef', for example, is incorrect. Since a chef is already 'a person in charge of a kitchen of cooks', adding 'head' just wastes valuable space.
'Raze to the ground' is another very common one. 'Raze' means 'burn to the ground', so the rest of the sentence is just filler added in to pander to the people who wouldn't be able to deduce the meaning of 'raze' without very specific context like this.

By DarthJazy on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm: Edit Post

angus

your a nerd in more ways that one.

By Trys on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:00 pm: Edit Post

I would expect 'head chef' to be synonymous with 'executive chef'... that is a chef in charge of other chefs, like a sous chef or station chef. See wikipedia's breakdown of chefs by searching for 'Chef'. :-)

Trys

By Angus on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:19 pm: Edit Post

Hmmmm. Methinks the gauntlet has been thrown down!

So, I'll respond in kind:

I'M RUBBER AND YOU'RE GLUE. WHATEVER YOU SAY BOUNCES OFF ME, AND STICKS TO YOU! NYAHHHH! :-)

By the way, DarthJazy, given the tenor of this thread right now, I think you meant "you're" or "you are" instead of "your". "That" was obviously a typo for "than".

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee....

By Angus on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 01:23 pm: Edit Post

Dirdle:

I agree about the critical thinking module, as long as the word "independent" is added. I am more and more convinced that lemmings, sheep and humans have more in common than simply being mammals.

By BillBob on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 07:01 pm: Edit Post

Speaking of typos, my personal favorite is:

Work smarder and not harder and be carful of yor speling.

By PurplePenny on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 05:54 am: Edit Post

I just read an amusing example of the misuse of a word.

A man is describing memories of trips to Battersea Park "and of my family enjoying the barmy [sic] summer evenings..."

By PurplePenny on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 06:04 am: Edit Post

Angus - in the UK "orientate" is correct and "orient" is annoying. To my way thinking to orient oneself is to East oneself. To orientate is point oneself in an Easterly direction (i.e. to take control of your direction).

By Angus on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 07:13 am: Edit Post

PurplePenny:

I think I'll have to ask for a ruling on "orientate" and "orient".

I'll get back to you on the results...

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:13 am: Edit Post

Well, personally I think it's sort of a fruitless exercise to compare grammar across countries. The US and the UK are two countries separated by a common language. ;) I love the fact that there are differences in idioms and phrasing from one English-speaking country to the next, and even though it sometimes annoys me, I don't think any one version is really more "correct" than another. It's sort of like milk, I think. Whatever percentage of milk fat you grow up drinking tends to be what tastes "correct" to you for the rest of your life (2%, representin'!), and everything else tastes "wrong".

By DarthJazy on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:13 pm: Edit Post

Ive gone to find, myself if I should return befor'e I get back, Keep me here;

By Jo on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 02:00 pm: Edit Post

Janny

Will we have another teaser before the book is released? Although we haven't long to wait a tease would be very appreciated.

By Joanna Blades on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 01:06 am: Edit Post

Hi, I'm new to paravia-holics and have not had the chance to browse much. Can anyone tell me, is there a known amount of books to be written in the series? 5 arcs, yes, but how many new books???? There's what, 400 years time left? Are we going to be agonising for the next five years or ten... if I implode before then I blame it entirely on Janny Wurts!

By skeoke on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:44 am: Edit Post

Purple Penny

You may orient yourself to the Orient, if you like. But, please, don't ever orientate yourself. (I wouldn't even know which muscle to flex.)

I tried to take a grammer course in college. They said I was too advanced. My husband (an engineer, but one that paid attention in 7th grade grammar) taught me everything I know. Also, it is very helpful to understand your own language's grammar before attempting to learn a foriegn language. I did a lot of 'backward engineering' while trying, and failing, to learn French.

C'est cera, cera. Non?