Archive through September 26, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through September 26, 2007
   By Trys on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 02:47 pm: Edit Post

dictionary.com defined orientate as 'to orient'

By Derek Coventry on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 04:04 am: Edit Post

Orientate is an example of language evolvement. Originally 'to orient' was used for 'to place with respect to the east' which became to mean 'with respect to the four points of the compass' and was eventually lenghened to orientate.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 08:29 am: Edit Post

Dirdle & Joanna - welcome here.

I am under contract for the next volume.

After that volume's turned in, if things proceed smoothly - I expect two more books. One to clinch the forth arc, and if I can manage, fifth arc would be best under one cover.

By Angus on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 09:34 am: Edit Post

Lets see, how many books will that be?

"Curse of the Mistwraith" (Arc 1)
"Ships of Merior" (Arc 2)(my original copy included "Warhost")
"Warhost of Vastmark" (Arc 2)
"Fugitive Prince" (Arc 3) (And Blue, you were right about this book, there are a lot of dangling ends that would have benefitted our discussions herein)
"Grand Conspiracy" (Arc 3)
"Peril's Gate" (Arc 3)
"Traitor's Knot" (Arc 3)
"Stormed Fortress" (Arc 3)
"UNKNOWN" (Arc 4)
"UNKNOWN, PART 2" (Arc 4)
"UNKOWN, THE THIRD COMING" (Arc 5, and a biggy)

Looks like that will be 11 books, with the possibility of Arc 5 being 2 books, making it 12.

What about a volume of Atheran stories to accompany the series, and compile the wonderful stories already out there in separate books? That would be 13 books.

Anyone for Arc 6??? I have never seen a human "implode" before. I do remember John Candy on Second City TV "exploding" people, who "blowed-up real good"...

By Blue on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 02:21 pm: Edit Post

Speaking of the post-SF arcs, any hints to titles, Janny?

By John P Buckley on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 01:52 am: Edit Post

It looks like Orient can be a noun a verb or an adjective where Orientate is always a verb.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orient
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/orientate
I have already had this argument at work and lost so I figured I would post this lol.

By Angus on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 12:10 pm: Edit Post

Now to change topics from grammar to loss. To Trys, sorry for bringing this up here, but I didn't know where to post it.

For those of you who haven't heard, the fantasy reading world lost Robert Jordan last weekend. Despite what anyone's opinions might be on his work, he put modern fantasy into the best seller lists at a time before the LOTR movies made people realize that fantasy was not "kid stuff".

I am sure that many readers in this area will miss his work, particularly since he was working on the final volume of the Wheel of Time when he died. He kept writing despite a rare, dibilitating disease, and that tenacity must be admired. I hope that if they do hire someone to finish his last book, that it is respectfully done, instead of some insane grab at money with a crappy hollywood sequel.

Though I have said, a few times, that Janny is the best fantasy author of her age, I will miss RJ. The first books of the Wheel of Time stand tall, undiminished, as an incredible work, and I'll never forget my first read of "Eye of the World". I only wish his series had stayed as good as his first novels, but he appeared to be "picking it up again" in his last one.

I just thought everyone should know.

By Meredith Lee Gray on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 02:32 pm: Edit Post

Yeah, someone posted the RJ news under a different topic a day or two ago. I was completely shocked when I heard. When I was younger, I was obsessed with those books. All my friends online read them and we had a whole community built around them with RPing and, just... everything. We knew everything about them and theorized endlessly on who killed Asmodean, etc.

Then our friendship started drifting away, and the books fell off a bit, and I lost interest and that was that.

Then, about 8 months ago I got a random urge to re-read them all again. So I did. And I enjoyed them so much more than when I was a child. Even the last few books that everyone always complains about.

RJ said he was writing the last one no matter how big it had to be, but I think he was just wishfully hoping that it could be the last one. I don't see how it could end in one more book. But with his illness, perhaps he knew he would not have enough time to wrap it up as it should be.

This is always the fear when you're reading an unfinished series of books. That something would happen to the author.

I'm sure someone will finish the series. He entrusted his family with what was to happen to the characters.

But his books meant a lot to me in my youth. And when I was older I could appreciate them much more.

This is just a very sad and shocking loss to me.

Mer

By Trys on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 03:01 pm: Edit Post

Where to put off-topic posts? Miscellaneous topic. However, someone had posted this in the Book Nook, also an appropriate place. :-)

By Joanna Blades on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 04:12 am: Edit Post

I'd just like to say THANKYOU JANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just checked my HSC timetable and Stormed Fortress comes out on the day of my very last-last-last HSC exam ( Australian yr 12 final exams) *jumps up and down screaming*
Perfect present!

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 05:13 am: Edit Post

Hey Joanna,

That's so awesome that SF comes out on the day of your final exam. My fiance's brother is doing his VCE exams soon.

It's funny...works kept me so busy recently that I haven't been able to keep up with the posts here. The months have passed and all-of-a-sudden we're just a couple of months away from the release...

*panics* Oh god, I should go to the bookstore and preorder it...Damn!

Is Mark from Galaxy about? I think I might order it from there as I don't think my local bookstores will get it here quick enough!!

By Walt on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

Here's hoping for a stronger US dollar by release date! I just bit the proverbial bullet and preordered SF from UK Amazon... It's a good thing we love ya so much Janny! My wife just chuckles now whenever she sees me re-reading your books. Her chuckles are usually followed by some comment along the lines of, "I see you're having another fling with your favorite Floridian again."

Let's hope she's still chuckling when she sees the November credit statement...

;^)

By Angus on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:48 am: Edit Post

Speaking as a Canadian, our dollar is finally at par with the Greenback. 5 years ago, we were at 0.62! We are still a little less than 2 for 1 against the UK pound. Books have been very expensive, and the prices in Canadian dollars are still higher. I recently "threatened" my FLBS to pay in American money (I live right across the St. Lawrence River from Morristown, New York) so that a book would be 30% cheaper. She laughed, and gave me the discount anyway.

Seriously, Walt, I don't think the US dollar is going to do anything but drop for a while. Your sub-prime mortgage meltdown is a big cause. Also, Congress and the Executive continue to spend way more money than they bring in. Most other G8 countries, by comparison, balanced their books years ago. Canada, at least federally, has been paying down debt, and significantly, for ten years, and most of our provinces have as well, so its about time that the Loonie got some respect. Hurts our exports and tourism, though.

I heard some US pundit opine that the biggest export from the US is debt, which continues to grow each year. Unless your federal government employs a combination of reducing expenditures and raising taxes, your UK books are going to remain very pricey.

Sorry, mate. Your Favourite Floridian Flings are going to cost you more, unless we finally get a North American book deal for her.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 08:08 pm: Edit Post

Erp - sheepish :-) yeah, somebody asked, days ago, and I admit to still shuddering at the idea of sticking a WORD in between a (ahem) discussion between Science Dogma and Religious Dogma - it's a bit too much like two party politics. (tongue in cheek) I just keep picturing Elephants facing off against Donkeys...and bursting into laughter at the very idea.

Frankly, I wouldn't much like the look of the world, shoved into Either Box.

Faced off, both tend to take a rather adamant stance that just plain saws off the wonder of all the REST of what's out there. Sometimes the fun lies in what Doesn't Fit either paradigm.

As to a teaser - well, if I miss my guess, usually HarperCollins Australia posts up the first chapter at about a month out - anybody watching???

Anything I'd add would have to be Entered, and the files RECONCILED with the final text....time time time. I've been busy with more than one project, meantime.

Only what, about five more weeks???

By Kelly Hayes on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 09:07 pm: Edit Post

Hey there, this is my first time posting but I've been watching the forums for ages. I'm so excited about the upcoming release of Stormed Fortress. I pre-ordered my copy from the Amazon UK site about an hour after the link to it was first posted. The very best part about the timing is that it'll get here just about the same time my husband and I move into our first house ^_^. Our one-year anniversary, a new house and Janny's book all within a month of each other. I just wanted to thank you for the spectacular work you do, it is very much appreciated by so many people. My dreams would be a pale, boring thing without Athera and it's inhabitants to fill them :-)

By Hunter on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 01:59 am: Edit Post

I'm watching HC Aust site.. nothing as yet.
http://www.harpercollins.com.au/global_scripts/product_catalog/book_xml.asp?isbn =0007217803

HC Aust used to have local copies of excerpts, now they point at this site.. but most links don't work properly.

By Hunter on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 01:59 am: Edit Post

duplicate..

By Derek Coventry on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:24 am: Edit Post

I hope that the higher price of books in the UK causes a corresponding rise in Janny's balance!

By Neil on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 09:33 am: Edit Post

I wonder how many copies of Curse of the Mistwraith, etc. are "out there"?

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 01:39 pm: Edit Post

Hi Kelly - welcome here. Hope you have a merry house warming, there's nothing quite like that first "castle" - congratulations on the anniversary too!

The good ones only get better.