Archive through October 17, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through October 17, 2007
   By Winter on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 06:11 pm: Edit Post

One thing caught my attention in the synopsis. "Arithon must seek the heartcore of his talent, even while embroiled in a savage battle against those he has vowed to protect."

In a battle against those he has vowed to protect. So even those who ought to be his allies are fighting him? Hmmm...

By Hunter on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 09:46 pm: Edit Post

I'm wondering if the tricky wording here is "those he has vowed to protect". His chosen path is "not to kill", which could be extrapolated to say the entirety of Athera's human (and other) population fall into this definition. Arithon has felt guilt equally for the misled minions of Lysaer that have died as well as the clanblood.

I agree a very narrow defintion of those he has vowed to protect would be basically Elaira, Jeynsa and Fionn Areth. If he embraces Kingship of Rathain (it's not clear when in SF he has to do this or whether he's formally taken up the reins of Rathain by then), then all the constituents of Rathain would qualify - but given Alestron is not in Rathain, not sure how that would qualify.

Remember in TK, Arithon beseeched the s'Brydion to abandon Alestron and leave Lysaer's hordes no target to vent their anger. The s'Brydion refused. So they were not so much fighting Arithon as basically disagreeing rather forcefully with the solution that Arithon was trying to impose upon them. I'm wondering if it's more along these lines? Fionn Areth and Jeynsa would fight savagely against Arithon, Elaira would fight savagely for Arithon and against him if he was trying to do something silly.

By Clansman on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 09:06 am: Edit Post

I have decided to take a name for this forum, different from my own:

CLANSMAN.

I know, not too original, but I am one: SIOL FHEARCHAR, NO FHIUNNLA'. The Farquharsons. "Fide et Fortitudine: We force nae friend, we fear nae foe." My ancestors were among slaughtered at Culloden in 1745.

Maybe that's why I haven't liked Lysaer since Tal Quorin...

By Clansman on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 09:07 am: Edit Post

Forgot to say that it was Angus using the name "Clansman".

Sorry.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:21 am: Edit Post

For those of you who are howling over the cut off point of the excerpt...that is the end point of Main Chapter One. Believe me, if the publisher had put up the subchapter following, you would howl just as loudly. I TOLD you the whole of this book was a spoiler, and this is just the OPENER....it never lets up, not here, not ever....

You only have what, three more weeks to gnash the rest of the enamel off your teeth?

I am loving your excitement, because....I know what's in store! YOU HAVE NO IDEA! :-)

By Blue on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 01:11 pm: Edit Post

I am loving your excitement, because....I know what's in store! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

Okay, Janny, that's enough teasing! I belong to another author's list, which is called the Mob of Irate Torch Wielding Fans. Please don't make me bring out my torch and turn the rest of the good folks here into an irate torch wielding mob!

:-O

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

Oh yeah - I should add - the publisher would want that link passed around - go for it if you have a place where it is appropriate, and may be appreciated. Just do so politely. :-)

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 04:56 pm: Edit Post

"I am loving your excitement, because....I know what's in store! YOU HAVE NO IDEA!"

Oh it's true Janny. I'm just about wetting myself with glee - can't wait to read the posts when they get in just abit further!

Oh boy - you guys ain't read nothing yet! :-)

By Hunter on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 06:08 pm: Edit Post

I guess I can stop blaming some publishing flunky for arbitrarily ending the excerpt where they did - especially when the true culprit for this cliffhanger howl-inducing frustration is revealed as a none other than the authoress!

Counting down to release...

By Walt on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 09:14 am: Edit Post

Suuuure Mark... Go ahead. Rub it in. *murmer* *murmer*

All I have to say is Amazon.UK better pull the Concorde out of mothballs and get my copy to California ASAP!! I'm sure the airport here in Sacramento could handle it...

And as for our Authoress-in-Chief... Ooooo what a deliciously wicked wicked woman! Don has all the luck (or bad luck, hehehe)!!!

By Blue on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 03:35 pm: Edit Post

I'd say lucky, Walt, because Don is within bribing distance - if worse comes to worse, he can always grab her and tickle the information out of her.

By Clansman on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:01 pm: Edit Post

All I know is that I'll have the bloody teaser memorized by the time I get SF.

Ditto on the Concorde thing, but it'll have to stop in Toronto first. I'd drive 3.5 hours for this book.

By dee on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 06:38 am: Edit Post

have a permanant grin plastered on my face - 3 weeks and counting - only decision left is whether to book holiday from work (can't risk husband being ahead with his copy -he will be insufferably smug) - :-)

By Annie on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:48 pm: Edit Post

I've lurked on this board for a while, but the excitement's so infectious that I had to post. Three weeks and counting indeed. I've unfortuntely got coursework due in around the same time but, er...I think I'll be reading Stormed Fortress anyway! Just can't wait to get the novel...

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:51 pm: Edit Post

Hi Annie - and welcome - ahh, cool, another lurker enticed out of the closet. :-)

If you can't keep pace with your husband Get Earplugs! He may yell, despite all restraint....this plot is one stretch of spontaneous combustion.

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:10 pm: Edit Post

Won't be long guys! I got my readers copy from HC today - the artwork is fantastic Janny! :-)

By Hunter on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 09:37 pm: Edit Post

Mark - what is the date you're officially allowed to sell Stormed Fortress? I spoke to a local bookstore yesterday, they said a November release is usually in store late October. Is there a hard date for when you are allowed to put the book on your shelves?

By Blue on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:47 pm: Edit Post

Watch out, Mark, I think your fellow Aussies are planning a stampede! ;^)

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:07 am: Edit Post

HC new releases will arrive in store on Wednesday October 31st (all HC New Releases arrive on the last Wednesday of the month before their release, so all new November titles willa rrive the last Wednesday in October)and will be available for sale on the same day - assuming that the staff unpack and receive the stock right away... gee, I hope we're not really busy that day.

Mwahahahahaha!

By dee on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 03:37 am: Edit Post

Hi Janny - earplugs a good idea. then I just have to avoid the smug, knowing facial expressions.