Archive through October 22, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through October 22, 2007
   By Mary on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 09:49 am: Edit Post

I've ordered my copy from Amazon UK and have almost finished Warhost of Vastmark in my re-read of the series to date. Hoping to get all the way through the series by the time Stormed Fortress arrives! Meanwhile the stack of books that I'd requested from the library keeps growing....

By Auna on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:51 pm: Edit Post

Wow, good timing on my project ending. I got the benefit of not even thinking about this book until I was able to come up for air, and now I find out the wait isn't long at all.

Plenty of time to do a complete reread and catch up on these forums!

By Clansman on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

A complete re-read in 17 days?!? That's ambitious, to say the least, not to mention catching up on the forum...

By Auna on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 03:57 pm: Edit Post

True, with my WoW addiction, it might be tight ;)

By Walt on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:04 pm: Edit Post

Just do what I do Auna... Read your book at work; I like to hide mine beside my CPU. That leaves the night for WoW!

hehehe

By Lyssabits on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:18 pm: Edit Post

Also you can read all those times you're on the gryphon/hippogryph/bat/wyvern and waiting for the boat/zepplin. I seem to spend a lot of time doing that.

By DarthJazy on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:19 pm: Edit Post

Wow will win of the two addictions it always does with me.

By Auna on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:39 pm: Edit Post

Well, since my project shipped, YAH!, I have NOTHING to do at work, so reading is a viable option ;) So is WoW ... and so are numerous other games I have available, lol.

Since books are my other strong addiction, mixing the two doesn't work. I have to go all one or the other. So, nights I don't raid, I can read!

By Mark Timmony on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 09:31 am: Edit Post

Lol! I stopped playing WoW to read this when i got the Manuscript from HC :-)

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 11:55 am: Edit Post

If the "reading copies" and review copies have shipped, do watch out while internet surfing!!! I do NOT want to hear any screams if a hot stuff reviewer posts a spoiler or a plot summary!

This book is SUPER loaded, and it would just wreck the read if an inopportune spoiler landed on the web, and somebody stumbled on it by accident.

Do not say you have not been warned!!! IF you happen trip over something, and want to yell, make sure you create the appropriate thread WARNING of content, and howl in the SPOILER TOPIC, please.

I put a whole LOT of work in the Alliance of Light as a complete story, and the sequence of bangs that make up this ending volume is (to put it mildly) explosive material. Let the experience provide the revelation and impact it was crafted to deliver.

Not long to wait now!

By Jo on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 10:59 am: Edit Post

Please help me out as I presume WOW is some sort of computer game, I'm 30 years old and I have no idea what everyone is talking about i def do not consider my self old. Never been good with computer games. Is it played on the net? Is it like, i don't actually know what they're called like Dungeons and Dragons? Never seen or played it but heard of it a long time ago. I can't even play the normal platform games on the PS2 I want one of those Wii's though.

I'm annoying my husband with the count down till this book can't wait.

By Lyssabits on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

It is indeed a video game. World of Warcraft, A MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) It's based off the Warcraft series of games, which were real-time strategy games of the basic premise that you had the Horde (in the earlier games mostly Orcs and Ogres, but now includes other related races) fighting the Alliance (humans mostly, but also with some elves and dwarves mixed in there.) It's a swords and sorcery sort of game. ;) You fight monsters and gather treasure, get new skills and rescue fair maidens. A sort of Dungeons and Dragons for the internet generation. (Although I think they *did* make an official Dungeons and Dragons that could be played online.. unlike in DnD, you don't get to set your own campaigns and storylines in WoW. The game developers have their own canon they've used to develop a fully fleshed out world of cities, civilizations and tasks/quests for the players to explore and complete. It's not a linear storyline though, you can hop around if one set of quests is boring you and start on a new set.)

Also the demographics of players is broader than one might assume. ;) I mean, my husband and I, as well as most of our friends are nearly 30, and many people I know in the game are well over. So no longer can one excuse themselves for being too old for video games! But WoW is not the first, nor will it be the last of this sort of game. Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Final Fantasy 12, Guild Wars.. they're all sorts of variations on a theme. I'm personally looking forward to Pirates of the Burning Sea, the pirate MMORPG that is supposedly coming out next year. AVAST! There's a Lord of the Rings one in beta I think.. or it's already out? I don't know, I never bothered to try that one.

By Brad on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 08:09 pm: Edit Post

DnD Online and Lord of the Rings are out.

I've played a ton of MMORPGs, starting in 2000 with Asheron's Call. I had a guildmate that actually recommended WoLaS to me, telling me it was his favorite series. He actually posted on here a few years ago. Don't know whatever happened to him though.

To get back to the dilemma of WoW vs WoLaS, there is no contest. Give up the WoW lol! My account for WoW runs out in a couple days. It kind of sucks but it's so time consuming and frustrating for an older MMORPG player that likes good PvP.

Can't say I'm really missing it after not playing for a couple weeks. Will give me plenty of time to read Stormed Fortress when it comes out. The only speed bump I'll have for reading the series is some Chemistry and research on Stephen Hawking for my research player in a physics class. Otherwise it's going to consume my life for days hehe.

Oh, and as for the age of those people playing MMORPGs. The guild I've been in since 2003 has a lot of people in their 40s and I think a couple 50s.

By dee on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:25 am: Edit Post

is Janny winding us up? - "a series of bangs" for a book published on the 5th of November - in England it will be bonfire night - in remembrance of Guido Fawkes trying to blow up parliament- we have bonfires and chant "remember, remember the 5th of November - gunpowder, treason and plot!!"

By Jo on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:22 am: Edit Post

Thanks for the run down on that. I wonder what would have happened if Guy Fawkes and his gang had succeeded? My 3yr old is very excited for Halloween and loves 5th November. If I have the book by the 5th though my husband will have to take her to watch them. Sure he won't mind the cold while I drink my tea in the warm and settle down to a fantastic read.

By Auna on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:46 pm: Edit Post

Oh wow, an Asheron's Call player. Cool, I played that since it was in beta. I was on Harvestgain and still have my mansion, lol, hard to let memories go.

There's no contest between this book and WoW for me. Just like when Harry Potter came out, I'll drop all gaming like a stone to read the book. I'm very very excited that there is such a short wait time now.

MMOs are like living inside a book. There's story going on around you, and you get to interact with the world and be involved in some elements of that story. The challenge right now though for MMOs is to try and make the player feel like they are the hero when there are 1000s of other people on the same server doing the same quests. I think we'll see MMOs evolve eventually, but right now players don't usually change the world permanently. The best way to describe it would be to imagine yourself as a side character in Athera, you are doing stuff that helps Arithon along the way but doesn't change the outcome of the parts you've read.

By Clansman on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:16 pm: Edit Post

I think the big difference between MMOs and a book, and assuming that we are dealing with excellent ones of each genre, is that the MMO is participatory, albeit within certain rules, and the book is not. However, a good book somehow becomes a part of you, and changes you forever. The different games that I have played come down to entertainment. Books are somehow, and a little inexplicably, much more than that.

This being said, my opinion is of little value as I have only played real-time strategy games like Civilization and Total War. I have never played an MMO, mostly because I have never given it a chance. My life is not filled with those kinds of chances with being self-employed and having two kids. They do sound like a lot of fun, all previous (lame) jokes aside!:-)

However, I would be the first in line for a WoLaS game. I rather expect the latter could not exist until Arc 5 was written. Also, if your character was a "good guy", he or she would probably get the snot kicked out of him/her, physically, spiritually and romantically, on a regular basis. :-)

By Clansman on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 04:24 pm: Edit Post

So how about it Janny! WoLaS: The Burning Crusade. Oh, wait, that title is taken.

You could use the different book titles as the modules/expansion packs for the game. How to keep creative control, though, is a problem. The players could not be allowed to destroy the story line. Some of the RTS games allow you to re-write history (e.g. the British win the American Revolution (in which case it would be called the American Rebellion), or have Germany win the Great War, etc.). Couldn't do that to Athera. Unthinkable.

Could you WoW people come up with some ideas?

By Susan C on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 09:32 pm: Edit Post

Janny: Thanks for the warning. I will tread lightly on the internet. I don't want to read any spoilers. I won't get my copy until Nov 12-14 according to Amazon UK. I checked the exchange rate. The book will be $40.50 US dollars, but I know it is worth every cent. I am currently reading COTM again, and luckily will be very busy for the next couple of weeks-so hopefully time will past swiftly.

By Hunter on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 10:00 pm: Edit Post

HC Australia's Voyager Online Web site (http://www.voyageronline.com.au/default.cfm) has Stormed Fortress on the main page!!

HC Australia's main web site now has an interesting browse inside feature where you can view and read selected pages from the books.. Traitor's Knot is here for example - http://www.harpercollins.com/book/browseinside.aspx?pguid=1005&user=12345&isbn=9 780007101139

In re-reading the extract for SF, I am left to conclude that the Biedar believe that stone knife Sulfin Evend has returned was always destined for Arithon's use. I am presuming Enithen Tuer had it when Lysaer and Arithon first went to Erdane after their arrival. This being the knife that has already both saved and burnt Lysaer and would no doubt be recognized by Lysaer at a subsequent meeting should Arithon have this and the half-brothers meet..

Interesting, first Alithiel, now the flint knife.. I wonder what other blades Arithon might accumulate along the way..