Archive through October 26, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through October 26, 2007
   By PurplePenny on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 09:43 am: Edit Post

Boo hoo - I just checked the status of my order with Blackwells and it says "in process" and "expected date 7th Nov."

Boo hoo!

By Nathan Kemp on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

Hi Clansman, I think Amazon are listing all of their preorders for Stormed Fortress as "preparing for dispatch" as they have now reduced their price to 9.99 to compete with www.play.com and they don't want everybody who preordered at 12.99 cancelling their orders and then creating a new order at the lower price.

Unfortunately I don't think it means that the book will be dispatched any earlier...but you never know...we live in hope.

I can't wait! Thanks Janny, my Christmas truly is coming early this year :-)

By Kam on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

I just got my notification email! Gonna pick it up at Galaxy on the morrow! I was expecting sometime in November, this certainly is a very pleasant surprise :D

By Trys on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:46 am: Edit Post

Hmmm, interesting on the price of SF at amazon.co.uk. I just checked and it's £9.09. When I ordered mine it was £8.57. The £12.99 is full price and in my experience they always discount books.

By Leonie on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 03:38 pm: Edit Post

Well, all I can say is that the cover art is great (fantastic actually), and that having to go to work is interrupting my reading time.....

Oh well, I suppose that just means that it'll take me longer to finish it - time to savour and digest rather than inhaling the whole thing.

By HJ on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 03:39 pm: Edit Post

I'm really starting to drool now. When SF was a year away, it seemed unattainable so I didn't worry, I just tried to switch off. Now it's so close...

It's my Birthday today! My other half bought me a clarinet!! For no other reason than that I play one or two instruments and always fancied a go on the clarinet. How great, now I've got one!

Of course, the present I wanted was Stormed Fortress but my most inconvenient birthday is just a little too early for that. So, luckily I've had some money and I already know what I'll be spending it on...

12 days to go!!!

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 06:01 pm: Edit Post

[quote]Laneth: a question. What is the origin of your screen name, the rather romantic-sounding Laneth Shadow-Walker? For that matter, I'll pose this question to all who use screen names.[/quote]

Laneth is a name that came to me when I was 7 yrs old, when my spiritual journey began.

The original suffix that followed on was "The Wanderer" and Janny probably remembers me with that name, from the first time I contacted her.

Shadow-Walker relates also to my spiritual path, which I won't go into much here. Suffice to say that it's besically a metaphor for seeking balance between Shadow & Light...kinda appropriate that I'm a WoLaS NUT!!!

I've actually recently legally changed my name to Laneth as well, which is exciting. I thought your info about your name was interesting also, and thanks for sharing :-)

By starstorm on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 06:42 pm: Edit Post

I'm terribly jealous of Leonie and anyone else who has the book NOW, but I did my own little happy dance when I saw the notification from Amazon.uk that it had shipped. Now to see how long Royal Mail takes to reach me in the US. I *think* it only took about 5 days for me to get Traitor's Knot... I seem to remember being impressed :-)

Now to TRY and be patient...

Trys, I also preordered mine for 8.57, and that's what the shipping notification shows as the price.

~Anna

By Mary on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:06 am: Edit Post

I just checked on the status of my Amazon.uk order. It's showing "Dispatching Soon". I only ordered it last weekend and I presume they would be shipping in order of placing the request. My price was 9.99. (How do you make the symbol for pounds?)

This is sooo exciting. (However, I am only finishing my re-read of Fugitive Prince, so will not be able to complete my re-read of the whole series!)

By Trys on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 06:13 am: Edit Post

Information on formatting text (quoting, bold, italics, etc.) can be found through the Formatting link to the left. From that you can find that specific characters can be placed into a message by using \ char{} (note: include no space between the \ and the char{}). For the Pounds Sterling symbol you have to know that the ASCII value is 163. So then you would enter \ char{163} to get £.

By Trys on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 06:15 am: Edit Post

Mine shipped out today (Oct 26). YAY!!

By Selene on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 06:20 am: Edit Post

For anyone who thinks shipping costs are steep, I recommend http://www.bookdepository.co.uk, which has free shipping worldwide. (No, Stormed Fortress is not available there yet :-() I use it all the time and have no complaints.

Selene--popping in to be pleasantly surprised by the status of the next book :-)

By Brian Uri! on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:08 am: Edit Post

My amazon.co.uk order is still sitting at Not Yet Dispatched... I guess they want to give me time to finish the last 150 pages of TK before they ship it :P

By Nathan Kemp on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:21 am: Edit Post

I spoke to Amazon this morning regarding price discrepancy and they have refunded me the difference.

The guy on the phone said that it was being loaded on to a delivery van and sure enough, I've just received confirmation of dispatch.

E.T.A.: Monday 29th October! YIPPEEEEEEEEEE!

Downside: I only just started re-reading Traitors Knot last night as I thought I had a couple of weeks to complete it. Even at 100 pages a day, which is about as much as I can read, there isn't going to be enough time and I just know I won't have the patients to wait once that little beauty arrives on my doorstep.

By Clansman on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:00 am: Edit Post

CURSES! Still not dispatched, ETA Nov 12-14. Needless to say, I'm not looking at anything on this chat area until I finish the book.

You possessors of Janny's most-recent-and-glorious tome, please yell "SPOILER" from the rooftops for us poor North Americans who can't take the pressure...

On the plus side, my price has gone down to £8.57, plus £6.98 S&H, for a total of £15.55.

Thanks to the mighty Gryphon, for the formatting tips. I have been forced to write out "pounds" for too long.

By Clansman on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:07 am: Edit Post

I too am progressing towards the end of Fugitive Prince, on Blue's advice. Blue, you were right. There are a lot of "dangling threads" in this book, that our erudite tail-spinner must tie up. The most obvious to all of us is Fionn Areth's birth prophecy, but there are a lot of others. Personally, I am wondering what will happen with Lirenda. I'm at that part of FP where Lirenda's big mistake has been made obvious (letting Caolle live), and the three brigs are recovered. It will be interesting to see what Janny does with her. Will she merely dwindle away into obscurity, will she be undone, or will she have some sort of dramatic comeback? Will her comeback, if any, be undone by her seeking revenge on Morriel/Selidie? or Arithon? Or will she be changed, tempered?

I think I'll have to skip GC and PG, and try to get in Traitor's Knot before SF arrives.

I know I won't be able to resist SF once it gets here, though, so I better read fast!

By Mary on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:50 am: Edit Post

Thanks Trys for the formatting tip.

Clansman, I was thinking of trying to get through Grand Conspiracy and skipping Perils Gate and Traitor's Knot (hoping they're fresher in my memory). Or maybe I should just skim all three?

Ah the dilema... Amazon UK still hasn't shipped my copy, so I have a bit of time left and a weekend coming up!

By PurplePenny on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Blackwells still saying 7th Nov AND still charging 12.99.

<grump>That's the last time I show loyalty to a local company</grump>

By Trys on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:40 am: Edit Post

Just a reminder that there are spoiler rules on this board for the latest releases of Janny's work. In the case of Stormed Fortress I've already created a Spoiler Topic and all spoiler posts should go there. So Clansmen, things here should be safe if you avoid that topic. :-)

Just a reminder that several SPOILERS at the beginning of the post are needed to keep it from appearing in the tree when someone does a search of new posts. White space is ignored so putting in a bunch of carried returns doesn't work. My suggestion is: SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER. :-)

PurplePenny,

There are often reasons beyond a couple of dollars or couple of pounds to support your local business. They are local. Money spent there stays in your local economy. Spending it at a mega-corporation that is international, you've no idea where your money ends up. There are times there's no choice but to support the big business (like no local independent bookstores). :-)

Trys

By Clansman on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:09 am: Edit Post

I must agree with the Gryphon, Purplepenny. Likely that Blackwells doesn't have the obscene purchasing power of Amazon. I bought from Amazon only because I CAN'T buy SF from my FLBS (Leeds County Books, in case anyone is curious), as it would be illegal for them to import SF.

The people at Leeds County, for instance, are now clients of mine because I supported their bookstore. They support the small downtown area in which I live and practice law, which supports me in many small ways that I cannot describe.

Don't give up, oh Purple one, on Blackwells. They sound like a great store. Try being Canadian right now, with our dollar being worth about 1.03 USD, we still have a 40% premium charged on North American books. Talk about getting hosed by the middlemen!

The read will be worth the price...