Archive through October 27, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Status: Archive through October 27, 2007
   By Trys on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:18 pm: Edit Post

Clansmen,

If Canada would consent to be the 51st through 5xth state we could eliminate that 'surcharge'. We could do it forcibly but we're currently quelling evil around the world. After all an economic empire is much more valuable in the 21st century than a geographic one. <evil>.

Trys

By Winter on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 02:10 pm: Edit Post

Clansman, you might need to shop around for the moment. Here's some info from an article in the Star.

A few are relenting ahead of that. Yesterday, Zellers became one of the first national retailers to move prices closer to U.S. levels on more than 250 items, from diapers and detergent to digital cameras and camcorders.

Wal-Mart Canada also cut prices this week on "higher profile" items, namely video games, DVDs, music and toys, ahead of the key Christmas shopping season.

Toronto bookstore Mabel's Fables, at Mount Pleasant Rd. and Eglinton Ave., has posted a sign at its cash register saying it is selling its children's books for the U.S. price on the jacket, in Canadian currency, plus $1 for paperbacks and $2 for hardcovers.

"We thank you for your understanding, support and loyalty and in the meantime ask your friends to not abandon our local neighbourhood stores for the U.S. Internet goliaths. Negotiate with Canadian retailers before you go south, please," says the sign at Eleanor LeFave's quaint shop.

Oh and Trys, since it looks like Canada's economy is booming and the US economy is declining, perhaps you should think about joining us instead?

By Clansman on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 03:35 pm: Edit Post

Thanks, Winter. Your point is well taken.

Trys, the surcharge was due solely to the previously undervalued Canadian dollar, which had less purchasing power for imported items like US-published books. Now that its worth more than the US Greenback, the prices on book covers (which show both US and CDN prices) are particularly galling, and its not the bookstore's fault.

I echo my fellow Canadian's invitation. Come join us, and reap the benefits of a stable, well-managed economy, universal health care, governments that don't spend more than they take in, the world's longest coast line, decent gun control laws that don't abolish hunting (despite what the NRA tells you), and Beaver Tails. You'll end up playing better hockey, too.

Oh, yeah. WAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Amazon.co.uk has shipped my copy of SF! Supposed to arrive Nov. 7-14, now, so I might have gained five days.

By Leonie on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 05:03 pm: Edit Post

I'm definitely a fan of supporting local business. On a very positive note, our local bookstore "The Book Cellar" provided me with my copy of SF on the 25th of October (I'm in a country town in the Upper Hunter area of NSW), with apologies, because it should have arrived the day before...... lol. There was a nice personal phone call to let me know it was there, and a greeting by name as I walked in.

Lovely stuff.

By Mark Timmony on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 07:05 pm: Edit Post

Guess who is sitting at Number 3 on the Bestseller list at Galaxy Bookshop!

Congratulations Janny!

The list can be veiwed at www.galaxybooks.com.au

By Allen McDaniel on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:33 pm: Edit Post

Mark,

Sent a message to the Galaxy Books e-mail address a couple of hours ago. I ordered Stormed Fortress from your website on 10/25 (USA CST) and received an order confirmation but have not seen a ship confirm. Would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

Allen

By Mark Timmony on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:36 pm: Edit Post

Sorry guys OFF TOPIC - I received an email today from a US fan on this site 'John', who had ordered a copy of Stormed Fortress from GALAXY but not had confirmation of his order being processed.

John, I have tried to email you but my email has been blocked by your server.

Can you contact me again please.

By Allen McDaniel on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 10:47 pm: Edit Post

Mark,

"John" is me - middle name is Allen. What can I do from my end?

Thanks.

Allen

By Mark Timmony on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:15 pm: Edit Post

Hi Allen,

Well just so you know we are processing your order today and it will leave on Monday. Sorry for the delay.

By Allen McDaniel on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:19 pm: Edit Post

No problem Mark - one day won't change my excitement to read the book. Thanks for your help through this medium. Sorry to all for the OFF TOPIC thread, but hope you will understand.

Allen

By Nathan Kemp on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 03:57 am: Edit Post

My Stormed Fortress has just arrived. Thank you Janny, thank you, thank you, thank you.

By Clansman on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 08:38 am: Edit Post

I keep telling myself that Christmas Eve will simply last a few more days...

By Trys on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

Clansmen, I understood about the 'surcharge'. I knew the reason for the CDN price but never understood why conversions could be done at point of sale. That would have avoided the current situation.

As to the 50 states joining Canada... you really don't want to destroy your economy, do you? ;)

Trys

By Trys on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 12:36 pm: Edit Post

I'm curious about the VAT (I know what it stands for) for those who live in Britain and bought this book. Is there a VAT added to the price of Stormed Fortress? If so, how much?

Trys

By Neil on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 02:31 pm: Edit Post

Ooh ooh: on amazon "dispatching soon"

SF does not seem to have VAT added on my invoice so far(?)

VAT in the UK is 17.5% today. Not sure how it works on amazon: some items seem to have VAT added and other not on a previous invoice.

By Winter on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 02:39 pm: Edit Post

Darn, my shipment is still "Dispatching Soon" and not due to come until Nov 12-14. This is torturous!

Trys, I guess in Canada you expect the price on the product to be the price. You wouldn't expect something imported from Canada to be converted at point of sale, would you? Also, for most things companies have to make special packaging to meet the French language requirements. But I guess that never applied to books so they just do the same prints for US and Canada.

And you're right, we wouldn't want all of the US. Maybe just select States? The ones that voted Democrat last election, maybe. That would give us the West Coast, New England, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Hawaii. I could live with that. We'd still be a conjoined country (excluding Hawaii) too! It'd look like this:
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/files/WOL/NEW-MAP.jpg

By PurplePenny on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 03:23 pm: Edit Post

There is indeed VAT on books.... at the rate of 0% (which isn't the same as having no VAT).

By Blue on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 04:45 pm: Edit Post

Interesting new map, Winter. I love it - The United States of Canada and Other Stuff. :-O

By Lyssabits on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 05:31 pm: Edit Post

More and more I think California should secede from the union. We're like, what, the 7th or 8th largest economy in the world? ;) Although I really don't fancy the idea of President Schwarzenegger.

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 05:53 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Lyssabits :More and more I think California should secede from the union. We're like, what, the 7th or 8th largest economy in the world? ;) Although I really don't fancy the idea of President Schwarzenegger.

LoL - Demolition Man...

(For any who don't know, it's a Sylvester Stallone flick from 1993, and a quote from IMDB.com will explain the rest:
Lenina Huxley tells John Spartan about the Arnold Schwarzenegger Library, explaining that, based on the sheer popularity of his movies, a Constitutional amendment was passed in order for Schwarzenegger to run for president, which, according to Huxley, he did. In 2003, ten years after this film's release, Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor of California and shortly after his election, three senators separately proposed amendments to the US Constitution to allow naturalized citizens to become president.

I love trivia!