Archive through October 03, 2008

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Arc 3: Alliance of Light: Stormed Fortress: Stormed Fortress - It's a Book!: Archive through October 03, 2008
   By Janny Wurts on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 06:56 pm: Edit Post

Just a'wondering - how many of you haven't gotten Stormed Fortress yet?

Are waiting for the release of the mass market in the UK (Nov 3, 08)

Are waiting for the release in the USA? (spring!)

By Blue on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:37 am: Edit Post

Well, I'm HOPING I won't clock myself again when I snatch something right off the bookshelf, as I did with the hardback Grand Conspiracy. :-O

By Chayla on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 05:01 pm: Edit Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the spring release in Canada, and will probably read and re-read the set at least 2 or 3 times in the interim. I love re-reading books, sometimes you read them so fast you miss things the first (or 10th) time around.

There have been times where on my 10+ reading of a book, I realize I've been pronouncing a character's name wrong the whole time and never noticed. Ugh!

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 07:11 pm: Edit Post

Chayla - welcome here!

I don't believe in rigid "rules" with regard to pronouncing names "wrong" - the suggestions in the glossary are only the way I picture the names sounding (because people do sometimes ask) - but really, if readers have their own preferences, I also honor that.

By Trys on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:22 am: Edit Post

Chayla,

On re-reading books. Sometimes it's not just that I missed something the first bunch of times it's that when the next book comes out, it changes everything, giving new meaning to events in prior volumes.

Trys

By Trys on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:10 am: Edit Post

Ok, my brain was on vacation. Play.com is listing the release date correctly. They are showing 3/11/08 which is, of course, November 3, 2008 to everywhere else in the world save the US (Canada?).

By Clansman on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:46 am: Edit Post

My trouble with numeric dates is how do you know which is the day, and which is the month, if the day is under 13? You don't, because the order is almost never the same.

I will maintain my Luddite ways, and my dates shall use words: It is Thursday, October 2nd, 2008, not 2/10/08, or 10/2/08, or 08/10/02, or whatever.

And, you can change languages with this system! Amazing isn't it? "Jeudi, le deuxieme d'Octobre, 2008" (forgive my lack of accents).

By Trys on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:36 am: Edit Post

Clansman,

This was something I should have realized when I saw the date on a British site. The company I work for has a software installation in Britain and I was involved with making sure we didn't hard code things in the American style but rather used the Windows Regional and Language settings to format dates and numbers (it still drives me a little crazy to see a million dollars as $1 000 000.00).

But I agree with you. Websites need to be internationalized and when it comes to dates that means spelling it out.

It appears that Canadian English expresses a date as DD/MM/YY. So then only the US uses MM/DD/YY. I've always favored YYYY/MM/DD myself as it can then be sorted. ;)

Trys

By Timothy Zielke on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:42 am: Edit Post

I've been waiting for the US release for about a year now, hoping and hoping. Glad to hear you were able to get a publisher for it. Does the deal with this publisher carry over to future volumes of your books as well?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 11:27 am: Edit Post

Hi Timothy - welcome here.

Just as soon as the contract arrives, with all the i's dotted and t's crossed, I will make a wider announcement with all the details.

The hateful bit is the waiting. I've waited a LOT longer than a year to put this together.

By Clansman on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:50 pm: Edit Post

Janny:

Will there be a hardcover release of SF in North America, or is it going straight to mass market release with the rest of the series next April? I think I know the answer (no hardback), but my hope springs eternal.

By Hunter on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:51 pm: Edit Post

If only the US uses MM/DD/YY, then perhaps your 300 million folk can join the other 5.7 billion people on the planet and use DD/MM/YY and end the confusion once and for all!

Probably not a bad idea to also join the 20th century and move to metric measurements as well. If nothing else, it will stop spacecraft slamming into planets..

Janny - I assume no new paintings for covers? Not that I want to delay Initiate's Trial!

Is the cover art intended to mirror the UK/Aust/NZ covers in style and consistent graphics?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 07:53 pm: Edit Post

No new covers.
The hardback issue - please be patient! When the announcements are ready to be done, they will be, and all the details in place will mean there won't be any confusion!!!

By Derek Coventry on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 03:07 am: Edit Post

On re-reading books, my problem is poor memory so to re-read a book after a couple of years is almost like reading a new book. My love of long series requires frequent re-reads to maintain the clarity of the literary landscape.

By Jeffrey L Watson on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 05:18 am: Edit Post

Hunter.. no emoticon? Am I take this and other anti-US comments you've made on this board at face value?!

By Kirsten Laurelle Wallace on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 09:06 am: Edit Post

This is little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a hardback of Curse of the Mistwraith?

I'm afraid that my copy has been read too many times for the paperback to endure and while I could just get another paperback a hardback would be better.

Congrats on the publisher, Janny

By Janny Wurts on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

Well, I for one, and GLAD that the US has not converted to metric....why?

Eclectic reading has taken me to some pretty strange bits of trivia, admittedly.

But - here's a few: the earth/cosmic measures and life based math is all in BASE 12....converted to base ten, it's a mismash of fractions and the harmonics just don't work in symmetry. If Biology wanted to see with better clarity, it would use base 12, for one....

And - the old measures, which make all those painful fractions - if converted to base 12, have those same harmonics....they were originally taken from "earth based" equivalents - and show the same correlations, to some degree. Measured in strides (miles) and cloth yards ("arms lengths").

Whereas - the Metric was taken from an arbitrary length, set (if my memory was correct, and the reading material, accurate) by Napoleon, who then forced conformity.

Both the sources (John Mitchell being one) used some pretty convincing mathematical examples to show where metric and the older systems digressed...it was amazing enough to stick in my memory beyond 20 years.

I will say, I've used both systems - science being Metric based - and I found metric to be NUTS - very non intuitive, except that we have ten fingers and base ten is easy to calculate the OLD way...grin.

Long live maverick systems. :-)

By Clansman on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 02:07 pm: Edit Post

One must admit that the terms "league" and "miles" sound a whole lot more romantic and interesting than the term "kilometer". And then there's pounds, ounces, etc v. kilograms, grams, decigrams (hardly used). Gallons, quarts and pints (especially when it comes to BEER!) just seem more meaningful than kilolitres, litres, millilitres, and whatever.

They feel better in one's mouth, or on the page.

That being said, universality has its blessings, and the metric system is more precise.

By Sarah on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 05:57 pm: Edit Post

Wow its amazing how conversations I have at work and converstions on this website mesh. Today we were talking about how Apple uses dd/mm/yyyy for dates. I've been working at a printing company for about a month now and its strange how we measure paper for the machines and the cutters. for the cutters we have to tell them the size we want in inches 12X18 and so forth. for the computer we have to put it in millimeters and we lost the ruler that made it easy so some of my coworkers had to relearn how to convert centimeters to millimeters. :-)

anyway, I like reading about leagues and miles because I have a better feel for the actual distance, hence effort, for the characters I'm reading about to actually move from place to place and I can be properly impressed when they do it fast. I'm not as intuitive about kilometers maybe that's one of the reasons I have a hard time reading hard core sci-fi.

By Leonie on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:19 pm: Edit Post

Sorry, I just got the giggles - "some of my coworkers had to relearn how to convert centimeters to millimeters."

You mean they had to relearn how to multiply by 10?!!

lol :-)