The Sundering Star

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Other books and Short Stories: The Sundering Star

By Darren Ryan on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 04:04 am: Edit Post

Can't believe I read, and re-read these books for years, yet only now fnd out there are some mini-stories available? Where can I find them, does any one know?

By Annette on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 06:01 am: Edit Post

Sundering Star
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Under-Cover-Darkness-Julie-Czerneda/978075640404 8

Reins of Destiny
http://www.amazon.com/Solaris-Book-New-Fantasy/dp/184416523X

Child of Prophecy
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=9781416509271&sts=t&x=77&y= 15

Might not be the best sources but you can at least see the info on the books and what the covers looks like.

By Annette on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 06:26 am: Edit Post

I brought my copies new last year, but two of them seem to be a bit scarce now. Your local bookshops could have them. Masters of Fantasy is available as an ebook from the publisher
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-274-masters-of-fantasy.aspx

Under Cover of Darkness is also available as an ebook, I have the Kobo version, and there is a kindle version as well that I know of.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 11:47 am: Edit Post

Coming soon: I will be adding these shorts to the Webstore at Paravia for e format, and perhaps - print chapbook with art.

By Annette on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 06:26 pm: Edit Post

With new art? :-)

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

Yes.

By Annette on Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 11:59 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Janny, looking forward to one day seeing them available. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 09:08 am: Edit Post

Yesterday night, Don and I crafted the COVER ART and very gorgeous typography for the (soon to be ready) e version of this little story - the image is done in Full Color, though if your reader is black and white, you will only see the image in gray scale...

The Gryphon has been meticulously converting the text for your reading device - so, just to build up a little anticipation and EXCITEMENT - yes, very soon, the Paravia website store will start to feature e versions of the Wars of Light and Shadow related short stories.

Launch Date of this first one To be Announced....!

By Annette on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 02:33 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the news Janny, looking forward to seeing how the cover turned out when it is ready for sale. :-)

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 12:13 pm: Edit Post

The gryphon has announced the link in the store for the new e version of this short story is now LIVE!

Don't forget to page back to see the cover art (in color for those of you who read on devices that support color, in halftone black and white, otherwise).

If you have questions or problems, do give a shout.

Note: this story DOES take place in the same universe as the Wars of Light and Shadows, and will fill in some VERY interesting back history detail. This would be the place to discuss, if you like, but PLEASE, mark spoilers!

By Annette on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 03:52 pm: Edit Post

Scathac is the cover! Thanks Janny, and the price was very cheap.

And thank Don for putting that nice Unicorn print up for sale, unfortunately I only just brought some prints as a present for myself, will probably have to wait till next year now. :-(

Edit
The cover thumbnail does not display the nice cover in the kindle library, at least for me, but that is OK.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 06:48 pm: Edit Post

Annette - if you have a Kindle, you have to 'back it up' a page - it wants to start with the text, but the cover is the 'page before' - it's there.

By Annette on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

No the cover in the book displays fine, it is just the thumbnail image that represents the book in the library that does not display, it just gets the default blue book for the cover. Probably it was not set up for a thumbnail image to display. It is fine, but I am just lazy and like to click on the pretty picture to open them rather than check the title.

By Brian Uri! on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 06:39 am: Edit Post

Here's the direct link to the specific page:
http://www.paravia.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_41_42&p roducts_id=132

It can be found by navigating through the website via Collector's Corner -> Web Store -> Janny Wurts -> Short Fiction.

Regards,
BU

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 09:47 am: Edit Post

Hmmmm, Annette - this likely would require a Kindle internal code? Not sure how to fix this, or if it can be, unless it is actually 'sold' via the Kindle store at Amazon...that would be a question for the Gryphon, and it may be one we cannot solve for the store at Paravia.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 09:48 am: Edit Post

Thanks for posting the direct link, Brian!

By Annette on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 10:05 am: Edit Post

The excerpt the Paravia site had for Initiate's Trial displayed the thumbnail image fine, did the Gryphon do that one or was it published though kindle? The one that was on the Paravia site was different to the sample available on the kindle site when the book was released. I have another "homemade" book with the default cover, so maybe an internal code is needed. I would not worry if it cannot be done, the title was big enough to read anyway. :-)

By Trys on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 01:38 pm: Edit Post

Annette, what kind of Kindle do you have?

By Annette on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 02:24 pm: Edit Post

Kindle for PC

By Trys on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 02:58 pm: Edit Post

The only difference between the excerpts and the short story is that I used Mobipocket Creator to generate PRC files for the excepts and Calibre to gnerate MOBI files. Perhaps Kindle for PC does something different with PRC files vs MOBI files. The reason I went with MOBI files for the short story (and for future e-files for Kindle) is that Calibre creates a MOBI file that will work for the different versions of the Kindle including the Kindle Fire which displays a color cover.

By Annette on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 04:12 pm: Edit Post

As I understand it most if not all of the kindle devices do not display thumbnails in the library but give a text listing of the books, so only the PC kindle users are going to notice the thumbnail missing anyway. If the midget devices can all use the same file it would be better. PC users get a nice colour cover within the book anyway.

Janny gets enthusiastic and does lots of new short stories, I can always put them in their own section if the eyes get too bad.

By Trys on Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 04:48 am: Edit Post

Kindle Fire users get the nice color cover as well. But you are right, the actual devices don't do thumbnail listings so far as I know.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: