Archive through June 01, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Other books and Short Stories: New Stories: Archive through June 01, 2006
   By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 09:57 am: Edit Post

Sorry for the silence around here - it's been an intense few months. Don's away to Texas 3 weeks a month to work on another animated film - so either I'm handling everything, or else, I'm out there to see what his life is like. He's home 10 days every month, and we have a lot to catch up on then.

I am plugging away on Stormed Fortress, albiet with many interruptions from Life. The latest one is a good one, though - I will shortly be embarking on another Athera story, with a possibility of an anthology appearance in the wind.

It took several days of deep mulling over to formuate just which of many possible ideas I might develop - I think I have the direction tagged, now, and will be starting work shortly.

The next short story appearance will be out almost momentarily - in Julie Czerneda's Fantastic Companions anthology - got one in there called Last of Her Kind.

So you short story buffs should have something fun to look forward to.

By Hannah on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 10:48 am: Edit Post

Woohoo, that's exciting news! Momentarily is good; I like momentarily.

"Last of Her Kind" is the name of your short story, Janny? Makes me think of The Last Unicorn, but I don't think there's just one female unicorn left, wherever the Paravians are hiding. Maybe she could be the last one that disappeared from Athera. No, must get unicorns out of my head.

Maybe it's the last honest Koriathain Prime... Or one of the last ruling Queens. Have there been High Queens in the five kingdoms? Come to think on it, I can't remember any. Huh.

Well anyhow, I'm sure it will be a very satisfying pre-SF fix.

Hannah

By Trys on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:08 pm: Edit Post

Hannah,

"Last of Her Kind" isn't a WoLaS story.

Trys

By Hannah on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 02:52 pm: Edit Post

Oh, right. Rereading is good. It's kind of a relief, because I could not think of a plausible WoLaS tie-in.

Still, another Atheran short story any time down the road is a good one, an anthology possibility is very exciting!

By Trys on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 04:13 pm: Edit Post

FYI, I just checked amazon.com to see if Fantastic Companions was listed. It is not. However, it can be purchased through amazon.ca (Canada). Be prepared for a wee bit of sticker shock on the shipping though. :-)

Trys

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 07:07 pm: Edit Post

Well, not much of a short story buff myself but I'll take anything I can get from you Janny :-)

By Sandtiger on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 03:15 pm: Edit Post

I seem to recall that FC is coming out a few months later in the US, so that may be why it's not listed yet.

I also think they are looking at having an event/launch of some sort here in Toronto at Bakka Phoenix books. (Local SF/F store)

If people want copies of the book, I can get them through Bakka and ship them to you at the true cost to me.

*If* there is an event, I'd get the books signed by any attending authors before shipping.

Sandtiger ::Always glad to make it easier for people to get books::

By Sandtiger on Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:57 am: Edit Post

And just as clarification - the only savings here would be on the shipping. I'd ask you to pay for the cost of the book and whatever it costs me to ship the book to you.

:-) You can also order direct from Bakka (www.bakkaphoenixbooks.com). Great folks.

And ::laugh:: No - I didn't think to mention they take orders because I've never actually ordered from them - I always go in!

I also figured if there was no event, I could get the local authors to sign the book anyways.

Sandtiger

By Trys on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 04:01 pm: Edit Post

I just placed a reservation for a book at Bakka Phoenix books (see book nook for details). They are wonderful people and are quite willing to do what Circle Books does for Janny... reserve books to be signed by authors who are coming in to autograph books.

Trys

By Al on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:56 pm: Edit Post

Would it be possible to get a list of known titles for the short stories set in Athera?

By Janny Wurts on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:43 am: Edit Post

Yup!

Child of Prophecy (published in Bill Fawcett's anthology, Fantasy Masters (or is it Masters of Fantasy? I always mix it up...)now available in paperback and hardbound/Baen Books)

The Sundering Star (forthcoming in Under Cover of Darkness, edited by Julie Czerneda and Jana Paniccia/DAW Books)

Reins of Destiny (to be Announced)

By Al on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

Thanks for the prompt reply. One more quick question...
Will The Sundering Star and Reins of Destiny also be "prequels" or will they take place during one of the major arcs?

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 11:07 am: Edit Post

They are both prequels, but will reveal threads that connect, foreshadow more, and open wider understanding - even "preview" some of the depths you will see in this arc. So definitively, they connect!