Archive through June 30, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Other books and Short Stories: The Sundering Star: Archive through June 30, 2007
   By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 05:27 pm: Edit Post

I understand this book has been Sighted on the shelf of a bookshop!!!

Sooo - run out and find one, quick.

Argh - author here, wondering when WE get to see what's in side - Jana? Have you sent copies out to contributors? (bounce bounce)

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 08:36 pm: Edit Post

Yep!

Galaxy Bookshop in Sydney have them in store right now! I've got one copy in my hand and shall be devouring it at lunch!

Can't WAIT!!!

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:28 pm: Edit Post

No Wai!!!!!

I put my order through my local Angus & Robertson store and they told me I'd have to wait until MARCH, when "Australia gets their shipments in"...

What would I need to order one from ye Mark?
I have PayPal, or I can DBT...I want this book so bad! (laneth.shadow @ gmail.com)

(I'm currently trying to wrap my brains about the plotting of Mara of the Acoma in the Empire trilogy...Janny - your mind for politics & intrigue makes mine that of a cave-man!)

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:34 pm: Edit Post

I'll email you from work Laneth... at lunch right now :-)

By Laneth Shadow-Walker on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:38 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Mark, look forward to it.

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 08:56 am: Edit Post

Janny,

Tekno sends out contributor's copies - Usually they are pretty good in getting them out shortly after the release date. I haven't received my Editor's Copies...though I have bought one, courtesy of Bakka Books in Toronto, who received their copies late Wednesday.

In truth, they had just unpacked the boxes, and it wasn't even up on the shelf yet - so I bought their first "book"

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 09:03 am: Edit Post

UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS Book Launch

If anyone here is in Toronto, the book launch is going to be February 24, 2007 at 1pm, at:

The Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation and Fantasy
(A special collection of the Toronto Public Library)
239 College Street, 3rd Floor
Toronto, Ontario

In addition to Julie and I, attending authors include: Douglas Smith, Amanda Bloss Maloney, Stephen Kotowych, Darwin Garrison, and Jihane Noskateb. I also have stickers from Janny.

If you can't make the launch, but are interested in a signed copy of the anthology, Bakka Phoenix is accepting mail-orders. You may contact the Manager of the store via email at: chris@bakkaphoenixbooks.com. They ship globally.

We are also running an UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS themed game at Ad Astra (A local convention) the weekend of March 2-4 (www.ad-astra.org), which will culminate in a second book event with the authors.

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 09:24 am: Edit Post

And in case anyone isn't certain about whether to read Janny's Athera story?

Barnes and Noble did a review of UNDER COVER - and said, "The Sundering Star" by Wurts is perhaps the collection's most outstanding work."

It goes on, but don't go looking for it. Trust me - the joy and excitement of Janny's story is best left to actually sitting down and reading it.

It's terrific - and a story well worth savouring.

And because I have to ::Glow:: BN also said nice things about other stories ... Larry Niven's and Doranna Durgin's -- and it called Amanda Bloss Maloney and Stephen Kotowych "talented newcomers"

Jana

(In her capacity as co-editor of UNDER COVER OF DARKNESS, DAW Books. February 2007)

By Winter on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 12:37 pm: Edit Post

What's going on at the book launch? Readings? General milling around? Doesn't Merril have a rule against food/drinks?

I was thinking about running over to Bakka but the windchill warning is a big deterrent. I guess I'll wait for the book launch now. Although that means I need to wait 3 weeks to read the story!

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 04:05 pm: Edit Post

The book launch at the Merril will include short readings by each of the authors, time for chatting/getting books signed, etc.

I doubt you can bring food in from the outside, but there will be snacks/drinks there.

Jana

By Trys on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 05:17 am: Edit Post

So.. who has the book? Who has read the story? Whadja think?

By Hunter on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 08:30 am: Edit Post

Still waiting for my copy.. :-(

I'm sure it will be mind blowing and a teaser until SF gets into our hot little hands.. :-)

By Wayne on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 09:32 am: Edit Post

Don't have the book yet. But have heard the story twice at cons during Janny's readings. It is a very good story and everyone should enjoy it very much. Other then that better not say anything until people have read it.

Wayne

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:19 am: Edit Post

Yeah, I'm on edge of seat, too, wondering how this bit is being received.....I do realize those who have read it or been to a reading know very well it's a bit explosive on the spoilers, so they better be careful what they say, straight off....

The material here is far removed from current history, but it will open some nice windows ...! into areas readers have speculated about.

By Aria on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 11:57 am: Edit Post

Hopefully mine should arrive either tomorrow or Thursday. *crosses fingers* Now to make it last until December when I come back from Russia and can finally get ahold of Stormed Fortress (that's if the date of Nov publish is correct?)
Oh and apologies Janny for taking so long to read through Ships of Merior (Russian edition). From what I can tell it seems to be a good translation but my english copy is at my parents house. >.<

By Konran on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 03:32 pm: Edit Post

I found one... and read the story immediately... am I the first to say something about it?

Amazing story Janny, not what I thought it might be but it has given me several new things to think about regarding the overall story arc (and I suspect we'll get the other information later, perhaps in story).

Spoilers ahead!

So... Calum Kincaid's weapon was similar to the Sun Crusher? Interesting. I should like to hear more about this D= I had a feeling right from the beginning about the desert people, but it took me a few minutes to click with Jessian what she was all about. I had no idea the Biedar were so powerful~! Jessian's revelation toward the end was something I particularly liked, how in trying to save them she'd insulted them by not allowing them to choose their own fate. I wonder if Scathac is high-resonance similarly to Athera? In any case, this may be setting the stage for a showdown between the Koriani and the Biedar...

Okay, you can look now =)

Overall, Janny, fantastic story. How do you do it? *cry* However you manage, please keep them coming! <3

By thomas h. burch on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 04:26 pm: Edit Post

HELP......I looked in both borders and books a million and both stores said they were not carrying it. What bookstores in the US are carrying this?

By Trys on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 04:50 pm: Edit Post

Hi Thom,

Either of those bookstores should be able to order the book for you. If they won't then they are not worth supporting... at least in my opinion.

As an FYI, Books A Million lists it on their website, so the chain is carrying it and your local store certainly can order it. Barnes and Noble also list it on their site. Borders uses Amazon.com as their website so I can't check further than that.

Good hunting.

Trys

By thomas h. burch on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:13 pm: Edit Post

Trys,

Thanks for the info.....i finally found the book at Barnes and Noble. Off to read now.

By Auna on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 01:16 pm: Edit Post

Don't even get me started on Borders.

I did a spur of the moment MUST HAVE THIS STORY NOW run to Borders (closest store) but forgot to refresh my memory as to the exact book title and author. No biggie I thought since I remembered it as being authored by one of my numerous favorites and I scan all those authors anyway when I visit a book store. Well, couldn't find the book anywhere, not in the new section, not under authors I think it is, and trying to find the compilation section is akin to sifting a sand pile for a speck of dirt :p The staff were nice and tried to be helpful, but nobody knew what I was talking about and apparently the store search tool didn't know either, even though I knew when it was released.

Temporarily thwarted and steaming mad by this point, I made the longer journey to Barnes & Noble and walah, found it in less than five minutes of looking and also spotted a new James P. Hogan hardback, which Borders also didn't have.

I don't know if our Borders is representative of the chain in general or what. I do know that I hate that store and wish the Barnes & Noble was closer.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:05 pm: Edit Post

Anybody wishing to get a copy of Under Cover of Darkness, signed by some of the authors and both of the editors at the Launch Party can call (or order online) from Bakka Books.

(416) 963-9993

The launch party I believe is this weekend so don't delay!

By Jay_Jay on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:44 am: Edit Post

I made a run to Indigo Books, part of the Chapters/Coles/Indigo chain, as it was the only nearby bookstore to have Under Cover of Darkness. I wanted to buy two copies, one for myself and one for my best friend, who got to meet Jana when she helped me with my move from King City to Richmond Hill.

They only had one copy. At the checkout, I mentioned that I would have bought MORE copies, if they had been in stock. The clerk glanced at the title, then shrugged, and went back to what she'd been doing before she'd rung in my sale. She looked to be one of their older, more responsible employees, too... :-( Oh well, their loss, Bakka's gain!

By Trys on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:24 am: Edit Post

Jay-Jay,

Age has little to do with whether an individual cares about how they do their job. :-)

Trys

By Jay_Jay on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:15 am: Edit Post

Given that the large chains like Chapters have a reputation for hiring clueless High School students, and paying them minimum wage, I sort of expected an older employee to MAYBE be in a more responsible position.

Oh well, maybe I judged too soon. I checked online, and if their website is accurate, they now have some more copies of the book in stock.

However, I'm going to wait for Ad Astra to buy more copies. Gotta help keep the small guys in business... :-)

By Sandtiger on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:18 pm: Edit Post

See you at Ad Astra, Jane!!

Jana

By Winter on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm: Edit Post

If you're in Toronto you could just wait for the book launch but the Chapters at John-Richmond in Toroto had 4 copies. I admit that I read the story in the store because I couldn't wait. I noticed there was a nice little display of Fantastic Companions in the Sci Fi/Fantasy section.

Also, I think Chapters/Indigo don't really care in general. They are the only chain bookstore left in Canada so they don't have to worry about their customer service. I'm just thankful that the closest book store to my home just happens to be Bakka.

By Neil on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 01:57 pm: Edit Post

Had a day out of the office today, travelling down to South West London, UK for a "SAP Payroll Special Interest Group" where lot's of companies using SAP software get together learn what's new, etc. (Alas my day job is I.T. see www.sap.com it's no wonder I sometimes escape into fantasy world novels in my free time...)

The real news is on the way back home I popped into the Forbidden Planet, a famous fantasy fiction bookstore(?), and found the book containing "The Sundering Star". Standing in a corner of the shop and moving around now and again so as not to look too suspicious I read in about 5-10 minutes today

Oh...my...God....

Second shock of the day, I got home to find my Amazon delivery with said same book that had been "cunningly" dispatched whilst I wasn't watching the internet for a day...along with M Rawn's Spellbinder (in the absence of captal's tower I decided to give this one a chance)...

...And *and* Guy Kay's "Ysabel" too!!!

It's a bit of a shame that I also have MBA studies to do...

Only Stormed Fortress would actually stop me studying (or sleeping for that matter......but I dare say even then I'd still be keeping a watchful eye on my soon to be a first-time-mother wife of mine).

I may be twisting the truth by a few pages / minutes but whilst Arithon was resisting sleep in TK ,so was I whilst reading at about 3am...)

And when Stormed Fortress finally arrives in it's likely Amazon carton, I'll be a dad and used to getting no sleep by then :-)

By Jay_Jay on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

*waves*

Looking forward to it, Jana! I expect you to have your autograph pen ready!

Sorry I can't make the book launch...celebrating a birthday with my step-sons on Saturday, in addition to a church conference!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 07:46 pm: Edit Post

Oh....my...God....

(Author, scratching head - what on earth? or off it??? - wondering what set that comment off....)

Get your pen ready, Jana - tee hee!

Last Chance to preorder your book for the Bakka signing tomorrow!!!!

Trust me, this story has SURPRISES in it....I wish I could plug for the others in the antho, but I haven't seen em yet!

So the anticipation here is still rather high!!!

By Sandtiger on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 09:24 pm: Edit Post

Actually, it's Saturday. ::laugh:: Not tomorrow. If you want signed copies tomorrow, you'll need to track me down at work!

As to pens...knowing me, I'll forget one. I've already recommended that two authors brings spares. ::chuckle::

Thanks to all those who ordered ::waves:: I admit, it's neat to think about signing books that will be winging their way across the globe!

Jana

By Winter on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:44 pm: Edit Post

The story was a surprise. When I read the first few lines I had to double check that I'd flipped to the right story!

By Trys on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 05:03 am: Edit Post

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. :-)

By Brian Uri! on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:44 am: Edit Post

I must confess that I skipped straight to Sundering Star and am just now going back to read the collection from front to back!

I enjoyed the story -- lots of fodder for speculation without actually giving away any WoLaS spoilers or even requiring that you be aware of the larger story scope.

In reading Alliance of the Light, I always suspected that we were just scratching the surface of the group mentioned in Sundering Star, but I never expected they'd be as powerful as the story describes!

Thanks Janny!
BU

By Hunter on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

SPOILER..SPOILER..SPOILER..SPOILER..

So.. anyone whose read the story have a theory on what Calum Kincaide was trying to prove by selling out? The description of Calum as irascible amused me.. quoting dictionary.com's definition "easily provoked to anger; very irritable: an irascible old man." does this really sound like the Sethvir of late Third Age? This sounds a little more like an affronted Asandir!

The "weapon" appeared to be a development of great power that was able to be turned into a weapon - but not the first intent.. Oppenheimer's splitting of the atom resulted in developments he didn't intend.

Seems like this was Calum Kincaide's version of the Havens.. as Davien said, "no more successful I might add.." of his own rebellion..

By Winter on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:48 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

I need to find the quote, but didn't Morriel say that the Koriani had stood at the right hand of government before Calum Kincaide sold his great weapon? But here the weapon has been sold but the Koriani seem to be more of a secret society.

I would think that he sold out to try and even the scale. I suppose in the hope the result would be like the Cold War and neither side would dare actually use the weapon.

By Hunter on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:32 pm: Edit Post

SPOILER.. SPOILER.. SPOILER..

Trying to even up an imbalance would seem to be the reason. But was it to really support the fringes of society or deny the corrupt central government a weapon to further terrorize the masses?

Morriel's comment about standing at the right hand of government is not inconsistent. The impression from Sundering Star is covert assistance/advise/support to the governments that support peace. Rather than direct public gaze and announcements, the Koriani worked in the background. Morriel's positions seems rather consistent with the Koriani self-belief they were/are central to the governance of humanity and worlds when the consistent evidence, as Jessian found out rather belatedly, is that rank, ignorant meddling is probably a better description for what the Koriani did and does. Presumptive and overbearing.. not dissimilar to Lysaer - supposedly defending the masses without actually asking what it is the masses actually might want and whether they actually need defending.

By Sandtiger on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 06:38 pm: Edit Post

The launch went terrifically well - I couldn't have asked for a better time. And Bakka needs more books for Ad Astra -- always a good thing.

It was one of those moments I'll remember forever. And I seem to remember signing a fair few copies for people here! :-) Thanks to all of you.

On to Ad Astra. We are running a three day long interactive game over the course of the weekend, and the preparation for it has been both extensive and darned fun. If any of you are coming, the info panel is at 9pm on Friday night (though info packages will also be available on Saturday).

I've also seen the most amazing poster for the book. It's been designed by Penguin - and it's terrific. We'll have those for Ad Astra as well, and they will be good for any other events after that. Kudos to Penguin for being so amazing. They are also providing the prizes for the game.

Jana

By Blue on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:36 pm: Edit Post

I got my copy of Under Cover of Darkness on my birthday - was I ever pleased with the purchase, especially since my budget was squeezed tight with some unexpected bills.

More, want MORE!!

:-O

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 03:41 am: Edit Post

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The biggest suprise for me (other than the Koriani's covert role being different to what I had imagained) was the Tribesmen.

How where they able to perform a magical feat that seems to be on the F7 scale of Grand Conjury, and they weren't even on a 'suped up planet' like Athera???

If the Dragons taught magic/grand conjury to the F7 who taught the tribesmen?

By Deborah Ada Eddy on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 07:57 am: Edit Post

My copy arrived this morning and I've had a quick look at Sundering Star - will have a proper look at it later but what I saw was VERY interesting.

Janny - brilliant as always. Your talent is just awesome. Thank you for books that make me think!

Deborah, who will have to re-read all of WOLAS in preparation for Stormed Fortress!

By Sandtiger on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 08:32 pm: Edit Post

Too cool not to share...

I went to our firm monthly meet-and-great today - which was held next door to a Chapters...so of course, I had to go to Chapters before I came home.

And WOW!!! I am so glad I did. I had just gone up the escalator (the Chapters right next to the Theater formerly known as the Paramount) and paused by the Chapters Picks table. I always like to see what's out there - usually a nice mix of fiction from all genres.

I had to take a second look when I realised UNDER COVER was smack dab in the middle of them - right next to To Kill a Mockingbird (Odd, I know). I admit to being a bit flabbergasted. I mean, it came out almost five months ago now - I'm surprised they had so many copies to put out, much less on a special picks table. I think the whole store heard me call my parents and tell them. ::laugh:: I admit to getting a video of it on my phone as well!

I mean. HOW COOL IS THAT?

Jana ::this moment was brought to you by the feeling of utter astonishment::

By Blue on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:36 am: Edit Post

Just don't bump your head on the ceiling as you walk on air there, Jana! :-O

By Hunter on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 01:50 am: Edit Post

Way to go Jana!!! Did you sign any while you were in the store? :-)

By Sandtiger on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 07:13 am: Edit Post

Er, no - that didn't occur to me. I think I was too shocked. I should go back though...

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

Applause for Jana!

Amazing, and for an anthology, too.

That is Really Cool, lady, thanks for sharing.

By Angus on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 09:53 am: Edit Post

Jana:

I was in that Chapters when my wife and I were in T.O. (Toronto, Ontario to you non-Canadians) for our anniversary over the Christmas holidays (we went to Toronto to get good sushi and stay in the Royal York). They didn't have the Patrick O'Brian book I was looking for ("The Hundred Days", the penultimate Jack Aubrey/Stephen Maturin book. How can I not like Arithon if I love sea adventures!), but there was lots neat stuff on the Picks table, including SF and fantasy, which you hardly ever see in the bigger stores.

Congrats, Jana, and I hope that you go back and sign some. Tell the staff who you are first, so you don't get charged with Mischief.

By Sandtiger on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:59 pm: Edit Post

Thanks everyone - I felt like I had to share, as it was so neat!

Angus,

If you like sea adventure, have you read Alexander Kent and Julian Stockwin? They both write fun sea adventure series.

Jana

By Angus on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 01:44 pm: Edit Post

Jana:

I gobbled up C.S. Forrester's "Horatio Hornblower" when I was about 12, and re-read it a few times after that. The recent dramatization with Ioan Griffudd (Welsh spellings escapte me) was pretty good, but reading is always much better. I discovered Patrick O'Brian's brilliant series a few years ago. What a great read! Finally, someone who writes an historical novel that uses historical dialogue, and knows nautical stuff (I studied Royal Navy history in my undergrad, and am a big fan of Royal Navy fiction). The movie, "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World", which starred Russel Crowe, was pretty good, but it just mashed a whole bunch of the books together. This tells me that a sequel isn't possible. Would have been a good series for Masterpiece Theatre, but alas, it was not to be.

I haven't heard of Alexander Kent or Julian Stockwin, but I'll definitely look them up.

All the above being said, I'd love to see more nautical stuff in Arc IV and V. There has been some smattered throughout the series, but curiously, no naval battles. They've all been on land.

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:14 pm: Edit Post

Oh the best of the nautical is to come, I can promise that....grin

By Angus on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:34 pm: Edit Post

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!

I feared that my clumsy attempt might not bear any fruit, but no! The tail-spinner has spoken!

Now all we have to do is wait.

And wait. Tom Petty once sang that "the waiting is the hardest part". I'm not so sure. There is nothing quite like the thrill of anticipation. I remember being 4 or 5, and waiting for Christmas; I remember waiting for 9 months (twice) for my kids to be born. Those were good waits.

This is a good wait too.

By Angus on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 03:42 pm: Edit Post

Jana:

Played some hookey today from this law stuff, and looked up Kent and Stockwin. Looks like I've found something to read after November 7 or so (I figure 2 days to read Stormed Fortress the first time - I tend to gulp Janny's books the first time through).

Thanks for the tip!

By Angus on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 07:22 pm: Edit Post

Somehow, I just can't imagine a naval battle without gunpowder and roundshot.

I know that gunpowder is not allowed on Athera, so that cuts out the roundshot too.

Hmmm. How to do a naval battle with square-rigged ships without cannons. They can't ram each other, because the masts will fall over.

Okay, Tom Petty is making more sense to me now, 'cause I can't figure this one out.

By Hunter on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 01:04 am: Edit Post

Book signing might be fun...

Didn't the s'Brydion play around with catapults at one stage? If not, they could be an interesting weapon on a boat.

Feylind leading Lysaer's navy a merry dance all over the high seas of Athera sounds like fun.. perhaps Lysaer can get marooned on Kaithtarr, that might be good.