Verrain's story

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Other books and Short Stories: Verrain's story
   By Janny Wurts on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 05:56 pm: Edit Post

To Hellcat, if you are still subscribed:

and to all in general, I have been a very busy bee. Verrain's story - a novella, is up to 96 manuscript pages, with only the finale scene yet to go. I expect to finish the draft in the next day or so.

Then polish and decide whether to submit it, whether to send it out to become part of a boxed set offering, or whether to post it up on the Paravia site straight away.

The title is The Gallant, and there is LOADS of fun insight into Atheran back history, pre-rising, and before the Mistwraith's conquest.

In case you're worried: yes, I am still working hard on Song of the Mysteries....I had a few decisions regarding presentation to resolve; and this story has been hanging fire, two thirds done, for literally YEARS. I felt it was time to polish it off, and the ideas (about how I wanted to present the ending) finally decided to co-operate with the muse.

So you will have another slice of Athera to play with while you endure the wait for the final volume.

Watch this space.

By Auna on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:43 am: Edit Post

Great news! I selfishly want it right away, but do what works best for you!

By Annette on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 05:14 pm: Edit Post

Looking forward to getting to read it one day.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

I have a completed draft on this one - will be taking my time polishing it off, though, since the main focus must be Song of the Mysteries.

By Jeff on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 04:08 pm: Edit Post

I'll enjoy another back story. I can't imagine what will be revealed!

By Dorothy on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 01:56 pm: Edit Post

Ah, Verrain,how I have missed you!

By Alissa on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 08:15 am: Edit Post

I love the back stories! Can't wait :D:D:D

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

This is standing at 108 manuscript pages, in draft.

I am messing with 'chapter' breaks for it.

Would you rather LONG segments, or short ones???

Never done a mid length work like this before. Who's familiar from other platforms?

By Annette on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 03:34 pm: Edit Post

Long segments would be fine by me.

By Htet Htet Aung on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 03:57 pm: Edit Post

length doesn't really matter much. Whatever length works.

By Xepheus Shazar on Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 03:15 am: Edit Post

Personally, I think you should use whatever length of "chapter" or "segment" works for the book itself, i.e. whichever style of break reflects or reinforces the effect/message you are attempting to convey to your readers. Hope that is of some use to you, Janny.

By Auna on Monday, March 12, 2018 - 03:33 am: Edit Post

I doubt epic fantasy readers care about chapter length as long as the cutoffs make sense. Shorter chapters can make the pacing feel faster and I know that technique is used by some newer thriller writers. Go with what feels best.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 12, 2018 - 03:23 pm: Edit Post

Didn't know that, re, how thriller writers are doing it - helpful to know, thanks for posting this.

By Auna on Tuesday, March 13, 2018 - 06:01 am: Edit Post

You can check out the Look Inside on Amazon for any of Lee Child's Jack Reacher books to see how short his chapters are. And that's for full length novels.

By Alissa on Thursday, March 15, 2018 - 06:05 am: Edit Post

I usually prefer longer chapters, or at any rate not too short ones, if the story is complex it feels more fragmented to me than fast paced. Then of course it depends on the number of PoVs.
I agree with Xepheus Shazar on this.

By Janny Wurts on Monday, July 09, 2018 - 09:58 pm: Edit Post

Verrain's story is titled The Gallant. It is roughly 38000 words long....I am doing the final cross check read over for entry errors, then spell check and off to proof read tomorrow.

A pet project i've had on slow burn for a decade finally getting finished off.

You'll have it to read, very soon.

By Hunter on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 04:41 am: Edit Post

Can't wait!

By Alissa on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 06:41 am: Edit Post

Great news! Thank you Janny, so looking forward to it!!

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 07:31 am: Edit Post

This is so very exciting! So exciting in fact, itís drawn me out of my years-long hibernation! :3

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 04:29 pm: Edit Post

Story's gone out for proofing - it will be published first as part of a boxed set, release date at the end of this month - more detail to follow.

By Auna on Thursday, July 12, 2018 - 08:14 am: Edit Post

Awesome!!! :-)

By Janny Wurts on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 08:16 pm: Edit Post

The Gallant was turned in today - fully production ready. I will have more information on its release very soon.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:41 am: Edit Post

I have returned the contract.

Here's the word:

The Gallant/novella will appear FIRST in a boxed set with works compiled by five authors titled Secrets and Spells, to be released from Tyche Books - e format - it should be available in Early August if all goes well with the production.

I will post more fully when I have more information.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:04 am: Edit Post

PREORDER LINKS ARE LIVE! for Secrets and Spells, that includes The Gallant. Release date is officially August 7th.

Have at it:

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FYTH2G4

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/ww/en/ebook/secrets-spells

Draft2Digital (Apple & Nook): https://www.books2read.com/u/47ZgDq

You get works by 4 other authors with this box set and a very nice price. If you prefer to wait for the single story issue, (I have to do the cover art) it will go up eventually in e format in the Paravia store.

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 10:51 am: Edit Post

My birthday is the 8th, thank you for this amazing gift! XD

By Alissa on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 12:18 pm: Edit Post

Got it! Thank you for this summer gift, so eagerly looking forward to it!!

By Jeff on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 04:58 pm: Edit Post

My preorder is in. I'm looking forward to it also.

By Clansman on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:45 am: Edit Post

My pre-order is also completed. Nice price, btw! Can't see how they're making money on a 99 cent book!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 08:58 pm: Edit Post

If you have pre-ordered Secrets and Spells with The Gallant in it, word is, it will drop tomorrow.

Happy Reading!!

By Clansman on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 01:18 pm: Edit Post

I GOT IT!!! Damn. Still at work. Must...exercise...discipline...

Oh, but this will be painful to wait until tonight!!!

By Janny Wurts on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 04:37 pm: Edit Post

You may be the first - and there are other Canadian authors in the box set (Tyche is Canadian)....so have fun, shout if you like it, and pls, review and rate if you care to, really helps!! (And update the Chrons....if you are so inclined).

By Jeff on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 08:40 pm: Edit Post

Hi.

This should be spoiler-free; just general impressions from what I've read so far.

My copy was delivered to my Kindle this morning and I read a few paragraphs before leaving for work. Verrain's reputation as described is interesting. Perhaps Dakar isn't the only one who needed to mature. Then again, maybe his reputation is misperceived by the populace. I suppose I'll find out as the events unfold...

I'm going to discipline myself and take time to enjoy this story.

By Brian Uri! on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 06:28 am: Edit Post

Janny,

For newer readers, is there a book in the main series you should read up through before diving into The Gallant? For example, you've said in the past that Sundering Star should come after Warhost of Vastmark, and Black Bargain should come after Stormed Fortress.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 11:05 am: Edit Post

Hi Brian, I don't think in this case it matters - they could start here, if they wanted. I asked a test reader what they thought - (one who had not read the series, and I described what I thought it might affect) and their response was, when Verrain shows up, they will be a LOT more interested in that scene/having read The Gallant, first. And since that was a scene my editor wanted cut out of the book, this would, in fact, connect a dot that otherwise might not relate as well to a new reader into the series for the first time.

So I'd say, have at this one anywhere.

Nobody's reported back they finished it, yet....

By Auna on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 03:10 pm: Edit Post

Ooh, 99c is a steal!

I got excited seeing C Greenwood, but then I noticed it's a book I've already read. Oh well. :P (Good stories if you haven't read them)

I was reading Christie Golden's latest (wow addict, here), but I'll read this one asap! :-)

By Brian Uri! on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 06:48 pm: Edit Post

Finished last night -- I'll get my thoughts together and post a review soon!

By Auna on Monday, August 06, 2018 - 08:12 pm: Edit Post

I'm a weepy mess, but I loved it. :P I'll try to read the others soon and review it on Amazon.

By Alissa on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 02:47 am: Edit Post

Yesterday I was finally able to get some quality time off and dive in. I savored each page of Verrainís story. It was poignant and full of love, with an edge of practical brutality that lends more depth to the conflict between Townbreds and Clanfolk.
I'm reminded, once again, that there are not clear-cut sides in this story but layers and nuances.

Iím so happy I read it, I enjoyed both the personal story of Verrain, Lisya and Sethant and all the details about the brewing disorders, the big conspiracies that would set the ground for the events of the main series.

It's a great addition to the collection of tWoLaS short stories.

By Brian Uri! on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 12:21 pm: Edit Post

I posted my review on /r/fantasy:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/95dl0x/review_the_gallant_by_janny_wur ts_from_secrets/

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 09:43 pm: Edit Post

Brian - a million thanks. I can write em....I can't do this....nothing beats a reader putting stuff on the map.

By Jeff on Tuesday, August 07, 2018 - 11:20 pm: Edit Post

Starting chapter 4 now, I see that my first impressions were off; I didn't know enough background info. Lisya is an interesting person and I look forward to see what's to come.

After I finish The Gallant, I'm wondering if I should read all the stories before posting a review on Amazon. I suppose I could do a preliminary review to be updated later...

I'm also wondering if at some point there will be an account of the original battle against the Mistwraith at South Gate. That could take an entire novel or more, considering all that's going on at the same time across the continent (as reflected in the various short stories). Also, what would it be like to witness the Crown Jewels of all five kingdoms wielded in concert--- the imagination reels.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 09:34 am: Edit Post

Jeff - lots of people review anthologies that way- one story at a time/they add on as they read them.

And, yeah, five sets of crown jewels in concert - doozie of a concept!! Holy crap, I had a hard enough time with describing just one set. Those sorts of scenes are brain meat=grinders to write, because language was just not designed to GO there, the words don't exist.

By Jeff on Wednesday, August 08, 2018 - 11:29 pm: Edit Post

Thanks, Janny.

I'll think about how to review without spoiling.

Brian Uri!'s review is excellent and I want to avoid plagiarizing.
-------------------

Well, my decision to read one chapter at a time went out the window. Today I started chapter 5 and couldn't stop until the end.

A lot happens that sheds light on events, people and places in Wars of Light and Shadow (WOLAS).
I agree with Alissa's assessment and understand why Auna (and others) would feel such emotion.

All of the characters are brought to life by description and through their actions. I cared what happened to them and was on the proverbial edge of my seat as events unfolded. Lisya is a magnificent person and is my favorite of the newly introduced characters. Knowing that Verrain survives to the WOLAS era, I wondered how his situation would be resolved; it's a moving journey.

The description of certain dangerous creatures mentioned at times in WOLAS is, I think, more clearly detailed than elsewhere

As soon as I recognized the name of a site mentioned elsewhere to have been repurposed as a Koriani sisterhouse, I knew something momentous would likely happen there.

I'm caused to wonder just what existence might be beyond the veil and how those who've gone there might be affected by those they leave behind.

My anticipation for Song of the Mysteries has gone even higher.

By Alissa on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 02:36 am: Edit Post

Thank you Jeff. I just loved the way worldbuilding and focus on characters blended seamlessly. I loved reading Brian's and your review.

I'm currently reading the other novels of this collection, I'm familiar with Krista D. Ball but not the other authors.

By Melanie Trumbull on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 01:51 pm: Edit Post

My own answer to Brian Uri's earlier question,
about WoLaS books to preview before The Gallant:
I recommend the second WoLaS book,
"The Ships of Merior,"
and the chapter/set titled "Convocation."

This takes you to Verrain's work on behalf
of the Fellowship of the Seven,
and shows Verrain and five of those Seven
working together.
It supplies a really solid foundation for
understanding their group relationship.

By Jeff on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 02:03 pm: Edit Post

Hi Melanie.

Thanks for the reference. I'd like to re-read that for context; now I can get there quickly.

By Dorothy on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 10:56 am: Edit Post

I live in the UK and have an Amazon UK account. can I buy Secrets and Spells? I have no idea how these internet things are connected to each other. Or not as the case may be.

By Dorothy on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:05 am: Edit Post

Checked Amazon UK and it's there! Should have checked again before posting. Bought it and it's my week off work. Couldn't be better!

By Jeff on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:30 am: Edit Post

I think re-reading the chapter "Convocation" after "The Gallant" makess the events in the chapter seem more vibrant. Verrain's observations and perspective have depth and continuity that was vague before. It also adds to the sense of time, knowledge and perception experienced by the Fellowship sorcerers.

By Melanie Trumbull on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 04:17 pm: Edit Post

Glad to hear that it is a meaningful suggestion.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 09:58 am: Edit Post

-Do you want a sequel?

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:02 am: Edit Post

:-O OMGPLS :P

I should have it finished tomorrow - the past week has been hectic as! I'm so keen too, seeing the above posts, and have Merior lined up to cross-reference as suggested.

By Jeff on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:00 am: Edit Post

I "Second That Emotion".

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 02:35 pm: Edit Post

It's come to my attention that if you are searching this story, be sure to use the SYMBOL for &, not 'and' or the search will come up blank:

Secrets & Spells

It should be available everywhere.

By Auna on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 11:47 am: Edit Post

Did Janny say sequel? Um, yes please!

I left a review on Amazon's US store site for Verrain's story plus the other two I'd already read. As someone else mentioned above, I'll add to it when I finish the rest. Other reviews seemed to appreciate one of the other stories I've not gotten to yet, so with my review, I think all the stories have some notice. (Only 6 reviews so far on the US store.)

Also, peanuts in the scheme of things, but I'm quite happy my combination of newsletter plus website review yielded two verified sales of the book. You can read my review as well as find out why I'm having such a hard time remembering Verrain's name here: http://www.thegoldenelm.org/book-reviews/

One thing I need to mention is that the book, Secrets & Spells, doesn't show up on the Janny Wurts Amazon author page (checked both US and UK stores). As well, when clicking the 'Janny Wurts' author link from the book, it doesn't navigate to the author page. Instead it does a search by the author name and regurgitates the results. I'm not sure how this is handled, but you might want to look into it. I'm guessing someone forgot to claim it under the Amazon Author Central page.

By Auna on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 11:50 am: Edit Post

Oh, forgot to add that you definitely want the book to appear in the author page because that will trigger Amazon to fire off an email to anyone following you that a book is available. (At least in theory, eventually, sometimes, maybe, it does that!)

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 10:57 am: Edit Post

Did anybody have any trouble finding this e book special?

I understand it's critical to type in the precise title. If you don't use the ampersand and the numeral six, you may not be able to locate it.

The story is in:

Secrets & Spells: 6 Fantasy Novels

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: