Master of Whitestorm

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Other books and Short Stories: Master of Whitestorm
   By Hellcat on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 07:12 am: Edit Post

I just bought this book, I'm reading chapter 2. Already I can see echos of Arithon in Korendir while Haldeth seesm to be a Dakar like comentator (without the booze and women).

I notice again how nothing so far has been written from Korendir's POV keeping him and his motives a mystery.

Hellcat

By Greebo on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 10:28 pm: Edit Post

Seems to me Janny's been playing with certain themes/characters and refining them through several books - Arithon and co in WOLAS are probably the most "realised" versions of these.

Master of Whitestorm was the first Janny book I bought and remains a fave of mine - a definite keeper. And I don't mind a sad ending when its well done. Kinda like going to a weepie at the movies, as long as you remembered to bring the tissues that is. ;)

By Nian on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 01:21 pm: Edit Post

I absolutely adore this book.

It was my firts Janny book & I found it immediately marvelous. It has a great tragic story, sort of like if Shakespear attempted a gothic story. Korendir is a strong & noble character who stands out firmly as the leader.

Although he has a cold disposition,we still feel sympathetic towards him because of the way Janny slowly lets us slip into his murky personality.

He is a man with a vision. And may the Gods help who ever stands in his way!

wonderful story telling Janny. thank you for creating a beautiful stand alone fantasy in an overcrowded world of serial books that go on for eternity.

I still believe it would make a cool movie!

By Auna on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 05:38 pm: Edit Post

What is with all the series books lately? Sheesh, very hard to find a good standalone :p

I agree, this is a very good story.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:49 am: Edit Post

It's tough to do standalone works. I did take time out to write To Ride Hell's Chasm, and frankly -- I got a lot of hammering from fans who refused to try it because it "wasn't" the next in the series...

Some were self-righteously incensed. One read the "last page" and "presumed" it had the same ending as Master of Whitestorm (it doesn't) and immedialely (before finishing!!) sold the book on the used market....

Hard to get publishers interested in taking "one offs" when they can't count on the support.

Let me add: this story is still "active" - in the USA it is still only available in Hardbound, with the trade release not until August.

I recently read a nice author who has several series and a standalone - the one off isn't shelved at bookstores, where the series IS.

Hard for people to FIND one offs if they are not easy to get.

This very likely shows the pattern READERS want - as bookshelves will display what IS SELLING.

It's not a conspiracy. How many "oneoffs" do you order, from "series" authors?

It's the path of least resistance.

Yet I enjoyed every moment of writing the THREE standalones I have done. More would be great. And not stop my enthusiasm for the series, either.

Just spouting commentary....grin

By Auna on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 01:46 pm: Edit Post

I didn't mean my little whine to be in any way shape or form a slam on you Janny! I just have too many partial series in progress and tried finding standalones recently and wasn't having much luck.

By Blue on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 12:29 am: Edit Post

I wonder if the push for series is not only from the publishers, but also from fans due to Hollywood's bad case of "sequelitis."

I'll support a series, but only if the author can keep up the quality, or do it in such a way that s/he is not just making a quick buck recycling the same thing over and over. Some authors, in need of cash, are forced to do just that. I won't name names, because I don't want to put down other, worthy authors who are forced into this corner. Someone who parades an unending series that goes nowhere, without any rhyme, reason or logic does so without any monetary input from me.

Thankfully, Janny, the only thing you have to worry about with me is my getting the money together to buy the books. That cute little green eyed devil on the cover of WoLaS has me hooked. When you start recycling the same old plots, or Arithon becomes predictable [HA!] I'll seek elsewhere.

By Mark Timmony on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:25 am: Edit Post

Janny I'll take whatever you care to produce!

Even though TRHC wasn't part of WOLAS it didn't stop me desiring it or buying it.

It, and any standalone by any series author is stocked by Galaxy and holds pride of place by it's siblings.

By ishmael smith on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 08:59 am: Edit Post

To be fairly honest, i dislike series. My preferences have always leaned to a finish at the end of a particular book. The only three series that i have ever read completely are David Eddings "Sapphire Rose" arc (i think that is it...the one with Sparhawk) and now Janny's, closely followed by Melanie Rawn's 'Sun Runner' Series (always loved Rohan, from the opening of the series...actually he is the only reason i read!)

I will say that i think Janny's series, apart from the excellent read, survived by critique because i started during the "Fugitive Prince Arc" and was able to find all the back issues so there was no discontinuity is reading cycles...in the Bahamas there was no gaurantee that the followup issuses would be shelved, or that followup issues would even appear...a writer may not ever produce a second...or something else would happen that would prevent access to the sequel...I find the feelings that arise in myself following this distasteful....

i think therefore, now that i have discovered the omni-bus, that i may read some more "series".

I LOVED To Ride Hells Chasm (TRHC) as Janny already knows [AGAIN...THANK YOU JANNY!!!!!!!!) and found Master of Whitestorm, marginal...something about the character seemed undeveloped to me, to loose, to lacking in a "je ne sai quoi" [it's been awhile so my french is RUSTED not rusty...hehe)

By ishmael smith on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:04 am: Edit Post

And another variable that has altered my perception is that after encountering Janny, I have come to realize that it may take more than one volume for the story that i writer has inside to be told!

I had always been under the impression that writers wrote sequels to make more money, that they told a story, found out that it was popular and decided to case in on it...

In Janny's case i have found, at least in this instance, that the story exists and existed before the first writing, so the transcribing of that story, the translation from oral to written, will take many pages, many volumes, but the story already exists!

By Auna on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 12:44 pm: Edit Post

I love a good series if each book adds value to the telling. I hate starting a series that isn't finished. I hate reading a book that I think is a standalone only to discover it's a series. And I really hate reading a series that should have ended many books ago and just keeps going regardless of plot stagnation - almost like the author promised x number of books and now has to fill in the pages with stuff. Too many series I've read that are longer than three books wind up feeling this way. Kudos to Janny for keeping hers moving along.

I buy anything from authors I love, series or standalone. I prefer standalones when I can get them just so I don't have to do the collect over the years thing. Authors need to write faster ;)

By Geoff Elliott on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 08:38 pm: Edit Post

Janny,

If I may be so bold as to use your first name at first contact; I need to de-lurk at this stage to say that I LOVED TRHC. Even though I usually like a story to be long and involved enough to require multiple volumes it was a very welcome addition to my collection. Feel very free to produce as many stand-alone stories as you want - I will buy them. Oh and I don't mind if TWOLAS keeps needing more volumes.

I know you hear this a lot but I mean it when I say: I love your work.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:38 am: Edit Post

I really need to apologize for MY whiny post :-)

You guys are the best -- and the truth is, I choose where to place my creative efforts. The hard part is when readers EXPECT something else....one needs to recall that expectations can be disappointed, and that all reactions and feedback are OK.

I was startled at the readers who took issue, and they were very few - but it "stuck" because I'd not expected that...

proves we're all individuals who know what we want! :-)

I guess it's easier on an author if a reader responds with "your latest wasn't the story I expected to read, based on what I loved (this) in the story you wrote last time....then it's easier to tell a critique because of a genuine FLAW in the storytelling OR if it's just a case of I wanted/expected that apple and you gave me an orange, instead. I hate oranges, personally....nothing else but that apple will do...grin.

I try to handle discontented readers with equanimity - AND - I appreciate like heck the ones who DO like the stories as they are. Thanks. I honor your individual feedback.

By Hunter on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 06:01 pm: Edit Post

"We're all individuals.."

I'm not!

(Very funny Monty Python line).

By skeoke on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:52 am: Edit Post

Janny ~

Curious: Is writing a stand alone becoming like writing a short story? Very concise, tight, controlled, etc.

Word is short stories are much harder to write than novels. Are stand alones harder to write (though easier to organize) than series?

Anyone: what is the psychology of readers preferring series? Do we not like neat bundles, all tied up at the end? Or are we too lazy to get to know new characters each book?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:48 am: Edit Post

I find writing a short story the same depth and difficulty of intricacy as doing the first chapter of a novel - they can both take about 4 weeks.

First chapters must present character/problem/background with very select care, so the focus is just right, and the entry point into the tale for the reader happens effortlessly.

Short stories require the same "set" and also -- must resolve - ideally without predictability OR - if the ending is predictable, by getting there through an unforseen revelation that twists perception - without the "AH HAH!" factor, the story fails.

That's what makes them challenging, for me. The tight format, wide scope to set the footing, and also delivering that punch.

Once the standalone novel is set, it moves pretty straightforwardly - not with the multi DIMENSIONAL angles to its layers, that I am trying to weave with the bigger series.

By Emrys on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:42 pm: Edit Post

One reason I like series (or sets) is that if I like the first one, they guarantee a lot more to read (especially with CotM:-)) which I am also likely to enjoy. There have been exceptions - later books in a series not holding up etc. There's one author whom I find very frustrating. I've now read 3 or 4 series by him. Each one starts great, is mediocre in the middle, and the last book is an irritating disappointment. I haven't decided whether or not to read his further work - maybe just plan on stopping after the second book!

By Mark Timmony on Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:29 am: Edit Post

Hey Janny,

not sure if this is old news buti've just discovered that MOWS is now Out Of Print.

Book Data says that a Reprint is under consideration but HC Australia isn't aware of it.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:00 am: Edit Post

Mark -

Thanks for letting me know this - hang on a bit, though. If this title falls out of availability in one region, it may well spring up in another.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 02:23 pm: Edit Post

In fact, this book (Master of Whitestorm) is scheduled for a USA reprint edition, with a projected pub date of June 2006. I will post more details as they become available.

I can very much hope that it'll be possible to add a goodie or so, (artwork, or ...?) to make this a collector event.

By skeoke on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 02:45 pm: Edit Post

Is it more helpful to pre-order at the local big chain, or is amazon.com just as good?

By Blue on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 03:37 am: Edit Post

Will MoWS have a new cover, or will it be a reissue with the same cover?

IF you were to feel like painting the cover for a reissue (no pressure, really! :-O ) I would not mind seeing Korendir as he is taking on one of the wereleopards. The descriptions of these nasty critters are REALLY intriguing.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:57 am: Edit Post

Blue - well, that's been discussed....it could be cover, it could be frontispiece. I do have an older painting of this very scene, that I reworked a bit on photoshop....I could also repaint it with my current level of expertise brought to bear.

As I said, I will post more information when I have it. A year is bit far to speculate.

By Mark Timmony on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 05:49 pm: Edit Post

I understand that Meisha Merlin have scheduled a July release for this title... but the info I'm getting is abit sketchy at the moment as our US supplier has it sourced from a UK wholesaler.

Hmmmmm - any news you can share yet Janny?

By Janny Wurts on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 12:46 pm: Edit Post

Meisha Merlin changed their mind, sadly. The listing on Amazon is incorrect, and needs to be taken down. If you can get it from the UK, do so, though I'm not sure it's still available there either - I'd appreciate the update if it is.

By Mark Timmony on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 07:40 pm: Edit Post

Ah well that explains it.

Shame though :-(

No, MoW is no longer available in the UK.

By Myranda Rose on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 03:17 am: Edit Post

I just checked with Amazon, the still seem to think they can dispatch Master Of the Whitestorm within 2 days... rather impressively they also seem to say that they can send out Sorcerors Legacy (new) in 4 weeks... Only place I'd found that was the library.

By Mark Timmony on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:25 pm: Edit Post

Myranda, that's mostly because they still have stock in the warehouse.

Publishers nolonger list it as available.

By Trys on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:08 am: Edit Post

Mark,

In these the case of these two books that is not the case. These are Meisha Merline editions that are listed on Amazon. Neither book has been produce by MM.

Trys

By Mark Timmony on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 10:56 pm: Edit Post

Ahhh, got it.

I rarely look at Amazon these days as I can access industry databases.

By rob willis on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:40 am: Edit Post

Janny, you should get in touch with Peter Jackson. I would love to see master of whitestorm at the movies. fantastic book!

By rob willis on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 05:48 am: Edit Post

i read master of whitestorm in year 11 at high school and for some reason still keep thinking about it - weird huh.'
when the lord of the rings trilogy was out i loved it but couldn't help but think "master of whitestorm is better than this."

By Janny Wurts on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 09:15 am: Edit Post

Hi rob - thanks for the very nice words!
I'd like to see a movie of this story, too.

By Blue on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 08:11 pm: Edit Post

I was just checking things out on Amazon, and lo and behold, Sorcerer's Legacy is being offered again, with a money saver deal if it were purchased along with Master of Whitestorm.

The only thing I found odd, was that there was no cover art shown for either book. I have the US version of MoWS and the UK version of SL, but no idea which covers would be used for these volumes.

Maybe you should talk to Amazon about including the cover art shots? As mentioned, the first thing that drew my eye to CotM was the picture of Arithon. A good picture of Korendir and Elienne might draw someone curious and gather you another reader...

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

Blue - this money saver deal - news to me.

I have no contracts in hand for publication of either volume, and both are officially reverted, as in, I own the copyrights.

Who's the "publisher?"

By Blue on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 06:40 pm: Edit Post

Okay, here is the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592221238/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_2/102-4318903-15 64107

The "money saver" deal is that buying Sorcerer's Legacy with Master of Whitestorm HC comes to $42.08

They are talking about hardcover editions in both cases, and seem to have your endorsement, with the following entry on the site

A catch up celebration
2:13 PM PDT, October 18, 2006

which is an announcement you are making about the status of Stormed Fortress.

I was confused, which is why I thought I would ask for clarification.

By Trys on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 05:09 am: Edit Post

In both cases the publisher is indicated to be Meisha Merlin. Amazon indicates MoW to have a release date of June 2006 and SL to have a date of Nov 2006. Clearly this information is inaccurate or I'd have it on Janny's 'Official' webpage. If you don't see it there then it just ain't so. :-)

Trys

By Ypso on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 08:14 pm: Edit Post

Well, good morning/day/evening/night! (depending on the time zones, here it is two oīclock in the morning) :-)

Itīs pity to hear, that thereīs nothing with a new edition of "Master of Whitestorm" (and even "Sorcererīs Legacy"), I really looked forward to it.
At least I found some used books of MoW on Amazon, so it seems, that I will get it anyhow (I didnīt read it yet). And thatīs after all the only thing that counts - or rather itīs better than nothing.

P.S. One more new member in this chat area. :-)

By Trys on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 08:23 am: Edit Post

Welcome to the Chat Area Ypso.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:19 pm: Edit Post

I am pleased to announce that Master of Whitestorm just won the poll for the GoodReads author title in the Fantasy Book Club at Goodreads.com - group read in Feb./Discuss in March.

Feel free to join in!

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 09:18 pm: Edit Post

A reminder notice - The discussion for Master of Whitestorm at GoodReads.com in the Fantasy Book Club kicks off March 1st - hop in if you like!

By Brian Uri! on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:18 pm: Edit Post

Any chance of a reissue on this one? My paperback is a collection of five glued sections inside a cover by now. :-)

By Laneth Sffarlenn on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 10:20 pm: Edit Post

Heh, you can't get it here in Australia. I've looked and put my name down at second-hand bookstores to get called when it comes in...it's never shown up. And several library districts around melbourne had their copies stolen...

I could always amazon or ebay it...but I'd prefer a new one too - Janny, what's our likelihood? And if not, what do we have to do as your loyal army to generate the result we so crave?

By Hunter on Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 11:08 pm: Edit Post

There are currently five copies for sale via eBay in Australia..

These guys have a copy..
http://www.bookworm.com.au/Book/The-Master-of-Whitestorm-9780586210680.aspx not sure if it is new..

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:20 pm: Edit Post

The GoodReads - Fantasy Book Club discussion for Master of Whitestorm is now underway (for March).

This is a public group on a public forum, anyone can join.

Here's the link for the Fantasy Book Club
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/10915.Fantasy_Book_Club

By Nichole Edwards on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:05 pm: Edit Post

Any chance of this being released for the Kindle, or other e-book format? My paperback copy has suffered through many re-reads and now that I have a Kindle I'd love the chance to read this without more wear-and-tear to my precious paper-back.

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 12:56 pm: Edit Post

Hi Nichole Edwards; nothing on the table right this second, but it is a possibility. If you subscribe to the e mail list, you'd be informed of any such release as it happened.

By Nichole Edwards on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 10:38 pm: Edit Post

Thanks so much! I'll do that. This was the first book of yours I ever read and, on days when I'm not re-reading the CoF series, my favorite of your works.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, September 04, 2013 - 10:12 am: Edit Post

Happy to announce that the e book version is in production - stay tuned!

By Neil on Friday, September 06, 2013 - 03:57 am: Edit Post

Looking forward to this :-)

I am not sure where my book copy of MoW is these days - I will hopefully stumble on it when (if?!?) I move house later in the year

Hmm hmm...I saw Amazon is looking at offering digital content tied to book purchase...interesting...

google: amazon kindle matchbook

or

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=amazon+kindle+matchbook

(Slight chage of topic..)

All my CDs I bought on Amazon were given to me on the amazon cloud player on my phone which I thought was clever (but a bit "big brother" (that's Orwell, not the TV program)

I like to buy books (am I "old fashioned" at 43?) but I also like to use my kindle, especially when travelling and I resent having to buy the story twice :-(

By Auna on Sunday, September 08, 2013 - 11:53 pm: Edit Post

Oh what a great joy to hear it being available in ebook form! I've become hopelessly addicted to my Kindle and just bought all the WOLAS books for it. I haven't read MoW in years, so this will be almost like reading it for the first time.

Now if only we can get Sorcerer's Legacy in ebook form - my copy is very yellowed and I've begun contemplating typing it into a Word document to spare the old, fragile book.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 09:30 pm: Edit Post

Page proofs for the upcoming e book of Master of Whitestorm just hit my desk!!!

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, November 19, 2013 - 09:38 am: Edit Post

MASTER OF WHITESTORM IS NOW AVAILABLE IN E BOOK FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!

e pub and mobi are up already at the publisher's link, which (of course) gives our effort the best return.

Amazon Kindle link is included, and the other links to the other venues will be posted here as they go up.

Now's your chance to replace your battered or lost copy, and to TELL A FRIEND!

If you have not read Master of Whitestorm, it is a standalone - and one am proud of to this day. Happy Reading!! (and perhaps if there wants to be discussion, we can opt to open a topic for this title, now it is active again).

Master of Whitestorm first sales links:

Event Horizon Ebooks online store -- http://brittonknowles.com/ProductInformation/ProductID/227

Amazon.com -- http://www.amazon.com/Master-Whitestorm-Janny-Wurts-ebook/dp/B00GQU0C8S/

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: